Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vulking

09-18-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Something pretty crazy. Keeping it a surprise!

Megaman style weapon get mechanic, where you get the trait (weapon) of your defeated enemy champion class.

That or we would need to build a hatchery.

FHaze

09-18-2012

Can we plz get a spider champ????

Naziru

09-18-2012

Hello Morello, so glad to have stumbled upon this thread and here's hoping you grace me with a reply. I havereally noticed a general trend towards generalizing gameplay, maybe it is simply because so many different kits have been used at this point there's bound to be more overlap but still, for most new release you can expect maybe one new ability or one new twist on an ability and the rest to be more or less rehashed from older characters(darius for example), granted with Zyra you really hit a home run imo, even if she is basically a heaimer rehash her gameplay is still entirely unique to her.

Secondarily I really miss the days where you seemed to have alot more options tactically then 1ad, 1 ap, support, and two tanky/dps, for example siege mode heimer was one of my favorites to play and he was basically reverted into a burst mage and a crummy one at that or old eve where if she caught you you were basically guaranteed a death yet conversely smart warding/oracles play made her practically a non threat. I would really like you guys to release characters who can actually surprise me with new gameplay rather than simply do the same things an old one did but better ya know.

I like being surprised, I like the thrill that comes from facing an enemy with secrets, one whom you don't know what they are going to do from the get go and have to out think and outplay them to effectively win. These days hardly a game goes by where I don't know from champ select with 90% certainty what each person(including myself) is going to buy and how they are likely going to play, ie nasus top so its a farm lane or I see leblanc mid and know shes going to go for a super aggro roaming mid game, etc.

I guess my point would be make characters that can keep me on my toes, characters with many different viable strategies, I feel Jayce was a good example but I know you guys can do better, also it's hard to say without playing him first but this newest monster seems like a definate step in the right direction. I want you to remember I have faith in you Rioters to deliver greatness and just as I have been since I joined around the Nidalee patch I will be watching here in the shadows =P.

P.S. whats up with closing the lore department? I miss mai Journal of Justice and the living world it represented for me ='(.

the twinkle toes

09-18-2012

as I think about this champion and its assigned description... I grow curiouser and curiouser as to what doors will now be opened, and those which can be shut off, but will that be a good or bad thing? (all answers lie with Riot Games)

Dokumashin

Recruiter

09-18-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Something pretty crazy. Keeping it a surprise!

So during work hours I get tons of time to think to myself and I tend to think about LoL. Just a few weeks ago I had thought about an evolution type of champion based on what you need who's appearance changed based on the skills that you leveled up and/or the order that you leveled them up. I didn't bother asking or mentioning it because it sounded like it would be to complex and people would prefer not to play him. Would this champion happen to be similar in concept?

Gespent

09-18-2012

i really want variety of gameplay in the champions . the last champions and the 60 % of champions have a very similar gameplay with designed 4 ranges of skills that change between champions .

the only different (o complex that allows a lot of different actions ) gameplay champions are : riven , rumble , lee sin , janna , draven , anivia , jayce , pre-rework kat , lulu , and pro wukong players.

the other champs are very generic and dont have a own complex strategy and playstyle.

Echorion

09-18-2012

I don't care what you say Morello, judging from what this new champion is being designed to play like, he sounds like how I said I wished Omen would play, and he strikes the same monster vibe that omen did.
So unless you have a better substitute in place, I still see this as Omen's replacement.

That being said, you guys did not disappoint, I am incredibly interested to see how this turns out. The form looks slightly awkward, but it's hard to tell from that concept art, I can't wait to see him in game.

Also, his first skin had better be a Xenomorph skin. <3

Fire Swamp

09-18-2012

@Morello, one thing I would honestly love if you guys could do one day, is make a humanoid champion with very dark skin. That is something we are missing and I personally think its very important. A lot of people can argue that we have some black champions, but I don't think you guys actually tried to make it that way.

Manwithhalfaplan

09-18-2012

Just want to throw this out there since riots been all over this thread. Gragas is the only fatman in all of runeterra. I call shinanagins. The now I understand that there are large creatures in game. cho, and morde. But the only actual fat guy is gragas. All the other champions must be poking fun at him riot D:> give him an ally! a fellow fat man! (or a skinny skin call it akins gragas or something.)

SurugaMonkey

09-18-2012

Divine Soraka is nice