Fizz item builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Greenlee19

07-21-2012

ok ive been recently been playing fizz hardcore and ive looked around for the items alot of people use for him but none of them really fit what i would like. so ive been tweeking them a bit and this is what ive come up with.

note this is end game items if i get enough gold to build them all not in any particular order:

lich bane
deathcap
gundblade
sorcerers shoes
nashirs tooth
last item usually differs if im takin alot of dmg ill get hourglass or another deathcap

what are your thoughts on this? is it an ok build? or does it suck? ive just been messin around with it but so far for me it works great but im not in ranked yet

Greenlee19

07-21-2012

no comments?

Lethadind

07-21-2012

TL;DR: Your build is "viable" but not "potential maximizing." Fizz has two styles - Burst and sustained DPS, you should focus on one or the other, but here you are focusing on both, decreasing his overall effectiveness by confusing his roles.

You can build Fizz three different ways:

AP
AD
AS

Fizz's utility is what makes him so powerful, so you honestly can build him however the hell you want to build him. He has an on-hit buff skill (W), so adding AS, AD, or AP to that all increase the potential of that skill. He has a knockup (R) and two slows (E and R), so, once again, increasing any stat increases the damage output (AS/AD are increased by the fact that you can hit them more when slowed and knocked up, AP increases damage because...well...they scale with AP).

I always build AP Fizz, though. Why? Well, AP Fizz is a burster, which means he blows all of his cooldowns, hits them until his W active wears off, and then gets the hell out until his CDs have recharged. Nuking one character with Fizz will always result in a kill unless they have massive defense. I nuke most tricked out tanks to 1/4 health. What this does is instantly takes out one champion on their team before they can react, giving your team a huge advantage (plus the shark + E combo takes out a significant portion of the team's health as well).

So, why not AD or AS Fizz? AD and AS require Fizz to be in the action for an extended amount of time. While Fizz has wonderful gap closers and escapes, he has no sustain except for the damage reduction from his passive, meaning that, if focused, he goes down hard. AS is viable on someone like Teemo because Teemo has sustain - he has his blind, incapacitating the enemy for a moment, he has his shrooms, slowing them (with a 2 second cooldown if he stacks them before a teamfight), and he hits them at range, meaning they have to get in his face before doing damage. Fizz has none of these. AD is viable on someone like Xin Zhao because he has his heal passive every third hit, and he has a knockup skill that isn't an ult. Again, Fizz has neither of these traits. Gangplank is another example of an AD champ, because he has his oranges and his gun, as well as his steroids - all of these increase his effectiveness as an AD champ.

Fizz is viable in all three worlds, but he shines best as AP, which is why all high elo players build him as AP. I see your build is more hybrid AD, AS, and AP, with the gunblade and nashir's tooth. This confuses his roles, allowing him to do all of them, but not excelling at any of them. He bursts their health down to 1/2, say, and then has to stay in the fight and finish them off, his skills are now on cooldown, shutting down 1/2 of his damage, but he still has damage potential through AS and AD, so he will be tempted to keep attacking champions. It severely handicaps his utility in both the burst and the extended DPS.

Never get two deathcaps on Fizz. The only champ I would even consider getting more than one deathcap is Karthus, as he's basically his ult. There are items that come fairly close to the deathcap in terms of AP, while also adding some other utility - such as Abyssal Scepter, gives you 1/2 the AP, but increases your survivability against magic by a lot, while also giving you a mag reduc aura, increasing the potency of your skills.

The extra 90 AP you get from RDC (140*1.3 = 182, 70*1.3 = 91) adds about 200 damage overall after blowing your QW and R, and then an extra 100 damage over the duration of W. 300 extra damage is great (works out to 150 after typical resistances, but still), but it doesn't do you much good if you get nuked down to 1/10 health. You have to 'b' at that point, losing you the opportunity to nuke them in 15 seconds after all CDs are done (except ult of course). If you add the 57 MR, you now get nuked to around 1/4 health, which is much more manageable and allows you to stay in the teamfight looking for opportunities to mop someone up with a quick QW burst and E out.

And, when you think about it, what gives you the most AP is the passive on Rabadon's, not necessarily the 140 AP. In a game where you get upwards of 6-700 AP (typical for Fizz, at least for me), 140-170 of that comes from the passive 30% increase. More than doubling the effectiveness. It is the highest AP item in the game, but that's all it is - straight AP, you need to get utility from other items.

All in all I would say that while your build "works" just fine, it isn't maximizing Fizz's potential. Tried and true builds exist for a reason. Every build is adaptable, but Gunblade on Fizz is not his cup of tea. Nashir's tooth is, again, great, but it increases his effectiveness moderately in two roles, instead of increasing his effectiveness greatly in one role.

I have two build paths that I usually follow:

Boots + pots to lane.
Doran's if I "b" early.
Catalyst if I "B" with 1350ish gold - build to RoA - increases his survivability, fixes his mana issues, and gives him 80 AP after 10 minutes.
Needlessly Large Rod to Rabadon's
Sorc Boots before RDC but after NLR.
Sheen to Lich Bane
Abyssal Scepter
[defensive item] - usually Zhonya's or Thornmail, depending on the situation.

This is my build if I need to put out a lot of AoE teamfight damage early on, grabbing a ton of AP before I even consider getting Lich Bane (as Lich Bane is a single-target item, Fizz puts out a lot of AoE damage on top of his assassin damage, so adding this damage to the team early on can win teamfights)

Build 2:

Boots + Pots
Double Doran's for sustain (sometimes just one, depending)
Sheen - Lich Bane
Sorc Boots
NLR - RDC
Mejai's if I'm fed, if not, then I hold off.
Abyssal Scepter
Zhonya's
[utility item if I didn't get Mejai's] - things such as WotA if we don't have it, or GA is actually wonderful on Fizz, as the delay in resurrection usually gives your "E" enough time to come off of CD, allowing you to easily get the "jump" on them (no pun intended) and escape.

This build is for getting fed early. It gives you awesome single-target assassination and tower takedown (sheen and lichbane proc to towers) power. If I see my laning opponent is less skilled than me, and the other lanes are pretty passive, I usually go this route. Not as much lane pushing power, as you sacrifice AP for single-target damage in the early stage, but it helps get your economy up fast, and can help your teammates get fed as well if you start roaming. I used to do Build #1 most often, but I'm favoring this build now, as it is great for helping the team during the laning phase, as long as you have the humility to give a kill or two to teammates, AND you remember to push and roam.

Hope that helped. If not, well, I tried. Sorry it's so long.

Greenlee19

07-21-2012

ah i see what your saying but the way i build him i think is similar to what you are explaining. the nasjirs tooth not only increases his attack speed slightly to take advantage of his W but has cd reduction and a good amount of ap.

gunblade also gives almost as much ap as other items while giving me a slow, a small bit of atk dmg to help with W also, and vamp, while the other items in my build are basic ap items used in majority of builds. i mean im not an expert at the game and ill surely take your advice but i just thought this build would bring out alot of fizz's potential

i am really thankful for your advice

Lethadind

07-21-2012

Nashir's tooth is the most viable of all the items I brought up, I personally, however, switch it out for other items. You'll find as you progress through your levels and start doing ranked that people understand Fizz better, and you'll need some survivability.

You already have two slows, why do you need Gunblade's? It's ridiculously expensive for what you get, and Fizz benefits very little from the lifesteal/spellvamp, he simply doesn't have spammable spells for spellvamp to do much good, and lifesteal doesn't proc from his W, therefore it's only his base attack damage + any bonus AD (in this case the small amount from gunblade).

Do what brings you success, but my personal experience is if you try to stretch out all of Fizz's possible paths, you'll find yourself stretched too thin.

Greenlee19

07-22-2012

ah i see so gunblade is pointless alright i just thought it would help out some thanks for clearing that up for me.

Lord of Sweat

07-23-2012

I go:
Boots, 3 pots
then transition into blasting wand and rush rod of ages for early tankiness and ap
Buy a deathcap then transition into a GA if the opponents are strong but your strong enough to 1v1 any and win.
Abyssal sceptre if versing heavy magic damage dealers or archangels staff if not just for ridiculous mana.
Mejai's may be acquired if you think you can easily snowball in the game