Not getting the point...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kelron Vladseal

07-19-2012

Cheaper champions are way worse than the higher IP ones. I am not getting the point of trying as a free player after 50+ matches(I have played over 100 at this point). I have purchased multiple champions since I started and honestly they are just horrible in one category compared to what you pay for. This leaves the F2P part of the game obsolete. Basically you have to spend some money in order to have decent champion/good one(some are ridiculously OP). Or you can lose 3 out of 5 matches each night to Champions people payed for. I thought this was a true F2P, apparently that is not the case here. I honestly thought about buying one at the 6300 range but since the lower tier champs cannot compete well at all with higher tiered ones I have no incentive.

Coryn

07-19-2012

Not necessarily. Have you ever tried Ashe? She's 450 IP, but in my opinion, better than many of the more expensive champions.

It all comes down to your preference and playing style

Kelron Vladseal

07-19-2012

I have been playing as Twitch and Master Yi. Yes I liked Ashe, but everyone chooses her so I tried some other ones. Basically then if that's the case it shows the unbalance, there is one good low IP champ and the others not so great compared to the higher IP ones(Twitch does better in most cases because of the stealth than Yi) but that's obvious related to how much he costs. Obviously the base price matters, which I suppose makes some since in how good they are. This however seems way off and it should be more balanced IMHO if they wanted a true F2P game. This topic will probably spiral down hill from this point however I am just stating my opinion on the matter. IP/purchasing matters to much with how unbalanced champions are at this point.

Darkvolcan

07-19-2012

I've been playing my Ryze lately again.
He's a 450IP champ who can get someone from 100% health to dead in seconds if you time it right.

I managed to beat Ahri on him, a 6300IP champion in a 1v1 at mid.
So, basically, no, cheaper=/=bad

TwistWrist

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelron Vladseal View Post
Cheaper champions are way worse than the higher IP ones. I am not getting the point of trying as a free player after 50+ matches(I have played over 100 at this point). I have purchased multiple champions since I started and honestly they are just horrible in one category compared to what you pay for. This leaves the F2P part of the game obsolete. Basically you have to spend some money in order to have decent champion/good one(some are ridiculously OP). Or you can lose 3 out of 5 matches each night to Champions people payed for. I thought this was a true F2P, apparently that is not the case here. I honestly thought about buying one at the 6300 range but since the lower tier champs cannot compete well at all with higher tiered ones I have no incentive.
Except...the 450 IP champs get picked in tournaments all the time.

You probably get stomped by high costing champs because they are rarer in solo queue...not because they are better.

Because they aren't better.

Coryn

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelron Vladseal View Post
I have been playing as Twitch and Master Yi. Yes I liked Ashe, but everyone chooses her so I tried some other ones. Basically then if that's the case it shows the unbalance, there is one good low IP champ and the others not so great compared to the higher IP ones(Twitch does better in most cases because of the stealth than Yi) but that's obvious related to how much he costs.
I'm curious, do you play a musical instrument? I hope you do, because this analogy would make a little more sense to you. Most people usually say that the instrument itself only contributes 10% to the sound it produces, and the other 90% comes from the musician's skill. This means that regardless of whether the musician is playing a horrible $100 instrument or an amazing $10 000 instrument, the main contributing factor that determines how well the piece is played is dependant on the skill of the musician

Basically, what I'm saying is that regardless of the champion you use, if you're a good player, you can make any champion - 450 IP or 6300 IP - kick ass =)

HonorableGeneral

07-19-2012

Just because a champion is new, doesn't make them instantly good. Plenty of champions came out and were balanced or even UP because players didn't know how to play them (Lee Sin, Orianna, Urgot, etc). As for your comment about the old champions being unable to mix it up with the newer ones, that's simply not true.

Jax is 1350 IP (tier 2 champion). He's fairly old, and yet has received numerous remakes and buffs that have kept him relevant and even top-tier despite game changes. If you're up against an opponent who is primarily AD-based, such as Vayne, you will wreck them in lane because your abilities are geared to mitigate much of their early-game damage.

Vayne is 6300 IP, and yet she can be easily countered by Jax, Malphite (also 1350 IP) and Teemo (again, 1350 IP). It's not about champion price, it's about whether you know what champion counters what, and the extent of how well you can play your champions.

I was up against a Darius a few days ago. Darius costs 6300 IP and was released only a few patches ago. His player obviously had little knowledge of Darius' abilities, as he constantly used his axe spin when I was right next to him (rather than when I was running away into the outer range, where maximum damage is dealt) and he often missed good chances to use his ult to kill me when we were dueling.

Guess who I was playing. Just guess.

Jax. Because he's one of my mains (the others being Ziggs, Gangplank, and more recently Xin Zhao), I knew the extent of how much damage I could do, what I couldn't do, and what Darius could do to me. Learning how to use what you can buy is more important than being able to buy everything.

I'd rather have someone on my team who owns 5 or 6 champions he knows well than someone who owns 13 or 14 champions but isn't proficient with all of them.

chroniccommand

07-19-2012

Cheaper doesn't mean worse. Ashe is actually a great AD carry and if you play her and master her, you can perfect your kiting skills. Poppy is also a great champ, and Ryze is a great mid. My suggestion for Ryze is to put smartcasting on, achieve pentakills by facerolling :P

HonorableGeneral

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniccommand View Post
Cheaper doesn't mean worse. Ashe is actually a great AD carry and if you play her and master her, you can perfect your kiting skills. Poppy is also a great champ, and Ryze is a great mid. My suggestion for Ryze is to put smartcasting on, achieve pentakills by facerolling :P
This. Poppy is considered one of the strongest late-game hypercarries (priced at an affordable 450 IP), and if you manage to harass effectively her rather lackluster early game (designed to make up for her strong late-game) can be supported via team help and ganks.

If a Poppy snowballs hard into late-game, don't expect your shiny 6300 IP monster Draven or Darius to stop her. She'll simply knock you into a wall and crit you so hard you'll think the game's servers were broken as the damage registers on your screen.

Kelron Vladseal

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonorableGeneral View Post
Just because a champion is new, doesn't make them instantly good. Plenty of champions came out and were balanced or even UP because players didn't know how to play them (Lee Sin, Orianna, Urgot, etc). As for your comment about the old champions being unable to mix it up with the newer ones, that's simply not true.

Jax is 1350 IP (tier 2 champion). He's fairly old, and yet has received numerous remakes and buffs that have kept him relevant and even top-tier despite game changes. If you're up against an opponent who is primarily AD-based, such as Vayne, you will wreck them in lane because your abilities are geared to mitigate much of their early-game damage.

Vayne is 6300 IP, and yet she can be easily countered by Jax, Malphite (also 1350 IP) and Teemo (again, 1350 IP). It's not about champion price, it's about whether you know what champion counters what, and the extent of how well you can play your champions.

I was up against a Darius a few days ago. Darius costs 6300 IP and was released only a few patches ago. His player obviously had little knowledge of Darius' abilities, as he constantly used his axe spin when I was right next to him (rather than when I was running away into the outer range, where maximum damage is dealt) and he often missed good chances to use his ult to kill me when we were dueling.

Guess who I was playing. Just guess.

Jax. Because he's one of my mains (the others being Ziggs, Gangplank, and more recently Xin Zhao), I knew the extent of how much damage I could do, what I couldn't do, and what Darius could do to me. Learning how to use what you can buy is more important than being able to buy everything.

I'd rather have someone on my team who owns 5 or 6 champions he knows well than someone who owns 13 or 14 champions but isn't proficient with all of them.
Check my stats if you don't want to believe me as Yi. I have been purchasing whats needed with him to do well supposedly compared to guides I have read, yet when I go up against anyone 1v1 late game I get slaughtered within 5 hits. That does not seem balanced at all to me, nor should it to anyone playing him. I guess I am more complaining about Master Yi than other champions but he is just way to week compared to others when the game lasts to level 18 for all champs. A lot of times I wait like your supposed to do for teammates to come in and weaken the enemy. After this I jump in and still get slaughtered 1v1 within a few seconds and have to either retreat or die. This seems unbalanced as a 450ip Champ compared to the ones slaughtering me easily. Early to mid game I do fine and kill quite a few however endgame he just blows compared to the higher IP champions lacking in such a category. I should be able to withstand more than 5 hits using Alpha only to see my HP going down 1/5th every hit. Maybe it is just Yi that is unbalanced, but it seems to me not so as I have played other chamions as well up to this point and had various issues compared.

As I stated in a earlier post though this is already pointless. I see what is going on as well as my guild did going in and they are gone. Also various posts on the forums I frequent show this attitude from the developers, so I suppose no point in arguing(not even sure why I made this thread here because of the fanboys. Just want the game improved as I like the idea and wish it was subscription based).