Veigar Tips Tricks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WTFyrz

09-07-2010

I'm pretty sure I'll get yelled at for this... but how about Sheen? Baleful Strike only has a 4 sec cool down. You use it, swing for quite a lot because of ap, and then more spells.

Kvoth3

09-07-2010

Yeah I've considered throwing a lich bane into the mix but.... casting all those spells is just too fun, wrecking face, melting vlads....

ShooflyPie

09-07-2010

What i'm trying to do is either stick with the old build and start taking ignite as a skill to help insure you get that early kill, so you hit the gravy train and then just keep rolling

or

Go for a radically new build where I max Dark Matter and Event Horizon at start and go for mana regen CD redution to insure i can spam them using Event Horizon to set up Dark Matter (which does more damage then Baleful anyhow). Or just max Dark Matter at start with a little ap to insure it can instantly kill the ranged creeps and then just farm my way to victory.

JCtheCreator

09-08-2010

My build for Veigar:

Take mid.
Amplifying Tome > Soulstealer
Get this and perhaps boots when you get to level 6. Go back mid and get your first kill.
Sorc Shoes.
Deathfire Grasp
Zhonya's Ring. No reason to worry about HP. Open with the Active on Deathfire Grasp (especially against those tanks), that coupled with all the AP you should have from Soulstealer and the AP from Zhonya's and they should be dead every time. But for the rare occasion they aren't make sure you activate Zhonya's to survive til your teammates arrive.
After this I go with Rylais and Lichbane. If you need HP go Rylais, if not go Lichbane first.

Nothing like auto-attacking for 500+ with Veigar from Lichbane, no one ever expects that.

Other than very early game if I'm spamming spells I've never had problems with his mana/mana regen. Especially since they changed his passive. He is quite capable of 2-3 kills at a time even while wandering around the map soloing. In fact, often I will have very little Assists in a game because they always die before my teammates show up.

Flash and Teleport are the spells to have. Teleport in on a minion or tower nearby an enemy. Typically they take too long to start to back off from you or don't even see you teleporting in. Even if they try to run, you flash to them and stun. Almost always gets them. Then it's just a matter of them dying ;p

dreamNing

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceofTreason View Post
Dream you didn't read this guy right, he is saying you dont need chalice, his passive is a weak chalice now and also he doesnt snowball ap from skills like he use to unless he is rolling the other team.

One of the best tricks with veiger is E positioning, if running you cast it were they have to run through 2 walls of your stun if they have a banshees or cleanse...same goes for catching someone.
Here's some basic math.

Veigar at level 6 (usually first trip you will consider to pick up chalice) has base 1.28 mp5

Having only a Meki Pendant @ 390g (static 7 mp5) means that you will have between 8.28 mp5 (100% mana) and 12.42 mp5 (0% mana). On average you will float around 50% mana (10.35 mp5) as Veigar early on as you will primarily use Baleful to last hit and save EH/DM for ganks.

Having a Chalice @ 890g (Static 7.5mp5, scaling 1%) means that you will have between 8.78 mp5 (100% mana) and 21.95 mp5 (0% mana). Again, on average you'll find yourself with 15.36 mp5

For you to have the same regen that Chalice offers factoring in Veigar's passive you would need an item that has base 11 mp5 at level 6. There's really nothing close in cost to a Chalice that will provide that, and in addition, the Chalice becomes more valuable as the game goes on to support his mana regeneration.

However, there are a few early game items you may get away with instead of Chalice.

Namely:

Tear of the Goddess - This will let you roll into an Archangel's sooner and allow you to start building your mana sooner.

Soul Shroud - There really are better carriers for this than Veigar but if you find yourself needing a quick fix of Health and Regen this is one of the cheapest options to fill both.

Fiendish Codex - It's a good item just for the CDR and it builds into two pretty okay choices for Veigar, Regen isn't anything impressive but it can be useful.

All of those are more expensive and provide less regeneration than Chalice but do offer more utility in the long run.

It will come down to how well you're doing in the game at the stage whether you decide to purchase Chalice or not, the snowballing mana regeneration that Chalice gives you allows you to last hit more liberally with DM and will pay for itself rapidly. But if you're already doing well rolling champ kills you may opt for more killing power to keep it going.

ShooflyPie

09-08-2010

These posts sum up the greatest strength/weakness of Veiger. If you start rolling you will keep doing it, but fall off the train (or never get on in the first place) and you just feel very ineffective throughout the match.

I just tried the second option i posted making a support veiger with maxed Event Horizon and Dark Matter. A quick tech to nashor's tooth and i had mana and CD reduction. Found i needed a chalice though to support myself Event horizon is almost double its original cost at lvl 5. The constant stuns were good fun overall, but you needed other heroes to finish people off. Overall it was a fun team build, and i still ended with game with a positive K/D ratio (sadly we lost).

dreamNing

09-08-2010

Oh and Chalice becomes much better if you use mana regen runes.

Najster

09-08-2010

my biggest tip on Veigar, at least in ranked, is know when to draft him. He's a good counter-pick against the right lineup.

If you are fighting one of these "take advantage of the meta-game" tanky teams stacked with the likes of Garen, Galio, Olaf, Nasus, Vlad, etc. then I think Veigar is going to have a hard time contributing as much. His burst won't be as effective at quickly eliminating a target against such tanky targets, and he'll be relegated to being an E Stun bot.

Against a team of AP squishies filled with the likes of Annie, Ryze, Kennen, Anivia, then he absolutely shines.

Zeforus

09-09-2010

You definitely do not want Lichbane, Not only does it cost a lot of gold. Doing a normal attack will put you in danger.

I'm going to remake my guide due to the game breaking changes to Veigar