Frozen Heart on Manaless champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoodShepperd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2012

Frozen Heart is often regarded as one of the best items in the game, despite the fact that it gives mana, the other stats that it gives are very powerful and in my opinion too good to pass up. I recently started buying it on Renekton, as he depends so heavily on cooldown reduction.

I've found that in my experience, spending alittle extra money on frozen heart is more worth it than having spirit visage taking up one of my item slots late game, or giving up tenacity and tankiness for the boots of lucidity.

does anybody agree with me or am I crazy?

I just feel like bruisers like garen, lee sin, and renekton benefit enough from the other stats on frozen that it outweighs the extra gold wasted on mana

Edit: Okay here are all of them CDR items that don't also have ability power. I will be using Renekton as an example because he is a champ I am familiar with and he really likes CDR

Ionian Boots of Lucidity: Really solid cooldown reduction, Renekton likes these if he's really stomping kids, or the other team has no CC, but he like not dying and not being stunned even more, other boots are just too good to pass up

Glacial Shroud/Frozen Heart: Great CDR, Great Armor, Great Passive Renekton really likes these stats but he hates all the useless mana that comes with it

Shurelya's: Good CDR, Good Health, nice health regen, cool active, but also has mana regen, which Renekton doesn't need, also the spot filled by Shurelya's could be filled with a high end damage, or tank item, that might be more effective on him and this item is usually picked up by supports meaning that nobody is relying on Renekton to have the active

Spirit visage: Renekton actually really likes this Item, all of the stats it gives are perfect for him especially early on in the game, unfortunately if a game really goes down the stretch this Item might need to be sold for something bigger because of it's low stats

Soul Shroud: Good CDR, Great Health, actually has a CDR aura giving ur team mates CDR as well, but once again plagued but that pesky mana regeneration

Ghost Blade: Good CDR Good Armor Pen, nice active, and the crit isn't bad either, core Item in my opinion

Zeke's Herald: CDR, Health, attack speed and lifesteal, CDR and Health are great, Lifesteal is Good, attack speed is ok. this is an item I had never really considered for Renekton until now, but I could see this being pretty decent. It kinda seems like it has the same problem as spirit visage in terms of low stats for late game, but the aura is good, so it might be worth a shot if ur supoprt doesn't pick this up

Randuin's Omen: Armor, Health, health regen, Cdr great great item, my only qualm with this item is that the CDR is so small and that the CDR that you do get doesnt usually arrive until very late in the game

So itseems like almost every CDR Item has some sort of small drawback when itemizing for this sort of champion, so I guess it's a player preference thing, pick your poison

Gigarayzor

07-19-2012

I would only say yes if there's no one else on your team that it would make any sense on. Even then, only if the enemy team has a heavy AD component. There are plenty of other late game items if you want to replace spirit visage.

lastchancexi

07-19-2012

Generally, no. It's not terrible, but Randuin's Omen is better for manaless champions. Cheaper, builds from HoG.

Something Snazzy

07-19-2012

Eh... FH is great for the hefty armor and AS debuff. But on every one of those champs, I would rather get Randiuns for armor and the AS debuff. Especially since you are more likely to take hits as a bruiser than as a true tank. You are paying an awful lot for a little extra CDR.

*edit* ^ beat me to it.

FaerellG

07-19-2012

Get Randuins instead. Itemize for CDR elsewhere (For champs like Garren consider Brutalizer/Ghostblade)

Powerstoned

07-19-2012

Randuin's for sure as mentioned, especially when you get to sit on the gp5 of HoG. As a late 5th or 6th item, Frozen Heart isn't the the worst idea if no one else is running it.

Ever run Zeke's on Renekton as an mid game item? hp/cdr/attkspd/lifesteal besides the great aura is all thing's he can benefit from.

GoodShepperd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
Get Randuins instead. Itemize for CDR elsewhere (For champs like Garren consider Brutalizer/Ghostblade)
Ok just to clear this up I would buy Frozen heart IN ADDITION to Brutalizer/Ghostblade.

I feel like brutalizer is core for renekton. Almost all items with CDR have something else that is wasted on Renekton, I had been always buying Randuin's on Renekton until recently. My problem with Randuin's is that generally one wants to sit on the heart of gold for a while, meaning that the CDR from Randuin's isn't available during the laning phase when it makes the most difference. and even when you finish it the amount of CDR you get is practially negligible compared to the CDR from frozen heart. Almost every CDR item has some stat that is wasted on Renekton (ands Garen, Lee sin, and Riven for that matter). I'm going to edit the OP alittle to add some info about CDR items

FaerellG

07-20-2012

CDR caps at 40%. You can get 10-15% of it in your runes/masteries if that's a concern.

But Randuins gives 5%
Ghostblade is 15%
you're still short 10% or so...have you considered Zeke's Herald or Spirit Visage? SV would make you even harder to kill when your ult is on. Zekes gives some AS and Life Steal which is less useful for you.

What boots do you pack on Renek? I'm guessing Merc Treads, but have you considered Ionian's?

d Voyboy

04-28-2013

I actually just picked up a frozen heart in my last game due to the fact that I was facing a lee sin top, jarvan jungle and there was obviously an adc.. I didn't really want to pick it up because of that 400 mana that is completely redundant. I picked up the item and IMO, I think i should've went Randuins. It did benefit us but I think the HP from randuins would have been more ideal.

M3GaL0d0n

04-28-2013

What is your problem?