Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tanky DPS or Full Tank [volibear]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadeByEdam

07-19-2012

i doesnt know if its better tanky DPS or only tank full hp full armor-Mr

what is better for be op and help my team [what is better for win the game]

that the items i take for full tank

1.warmog's armor
2.mercury thread - ninja tabi
3.frozen mallet
4.guardian angel
5.thornmail - force of nature
6.frozen heart - banshee's veil

that the items i take for tanky DPS

1.warmog's armor
3.frozen mallet
4.wit's end
5.atma's impaler
6.madred's bloodrazor

so... what is better ?

u can post an other guide better than mine

plz help

(i speak french so sry if my english is bad)

MadeByEdam

07-19-2012

For volibear

Kensai07

07-19-2012

I would leave out madreds in build 2... and build ...anything else.. and use that. (Defensive or offensive...anything but madred's)
Not enough damage in build #1

MadeByEdam

07-19-2012

one ability of voli is transfer 15% of hp into dmg so in the 2 guide i got 1200 dmg

FaerellG

07-19-2012

In the decision between full tank vs tanky dps you want to look at your team fight contribution aside from damage. That means CC, heals, shields, and other support-ish things.

If you have a wealth of CC and support options, you can afford to go Full Tank (focus on Cooldown reduction).
If you do not have a lot of CC (only 1 hard CC), then you should go tanky DPS, contribute at least 1 big item worth of gold towards offense. Usually, that's a Wit's End or a Trinity Force which are hybrid offense and defense. Sometimes grabbing a Frozen Mallet is a great idea too.

The idea is that you need to contribute to the team fight. If you cannot contribute with a ton of devastating CC (Alistair, Leona, Blitzcrank), then you NEED to be able to deal damage otherwise the enemy team won't find you worth focusing down. If you're not getting hit, the your allies probably are...and they'll die first, and you won't have the damage to clean up.

So for champions who only have a couple of CC options like Shen, Udyr, and Skarnar (Voli falls into this category too), you need to have a decent damage output otherwise, you blow your CC and you're useless to the team until your cooldowns are done.

Volibear definitely falls into this latter category because he has 1 real CC (his throw), and he's got that roar, but that really only slows...and slows are "soft CC"...not good enough to make you build only tank items, thus you need to itemize such that he does good damage as well. Because once you fling and roar...you're kinda done if you can't deal damage.

Powerstoned

07-20-2012

Quote:
Pouhahaha:
i doesnt know if its better tanky DPS or only tank full hp full armor-Mr

what is better for be op and help my team [what is better for win the game]

that the items i take for full tank

1.warmog's armor
3.frozen mallet
4.guardian angel
5.thornmail - force of nature
6.frozen heart - banshee's veil

that the items i take for tanky DPS

1.warmog's armor
3.frozen mallet
4.wit's end
5.atma's impaler
6.madred's bloodrazor

Especially when you have both warmog and frozen mallet as your 2 first big items, his Bite makes you "dps".

I don't think Volibear is a good champion for Guardian Angel early(maybe just for long drawn out games as your 6th item). When he gets up from a GA, he doesn't have an escape when he's surrounded by 2+ champs(as usually the case when you die with one on), nor can he dish out tons of dps quickly before just dying again (and his passive will have already been spent as well).

My build usually goes like this in the lane:
Heart of Gold
Berzerkers (or ninjas/mercs if you must)
Zeke's (Really great Volibear item imo)
Warmog
Then I complete Randuin's... or get Atma's,
For the 6th item usually a frozen mallet or triforce, FoN (or Banshee's or GA)

If In the jungle, I just replace Heart of Gold for an Aegis...starting with the cloth armor then red crystal (razor isn't worth getting imo).

I like the early speed so you can get your Bite's off quicker, which even if you're not dominating the lane or jungle encounter, can get most opposing champs to run away and "b", even if you don't kill them, and just devour 1/2+ of their hp.