Hello, I am Devacy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Devacy

07-19-2012

While I'm not exactly new to the game, I have the basics down for sure, but I feel like my play level and ability isn't growing.

There are several champions I can play versus intermediate bots and bulldoze through the game, but I don't seem to be very good at pvp with those characters. Likewise I am fair with a few champions in non-ranked pvp as long as the other players I am matched with work well as a team together, but those champions I'm not good versus intermediate bots with.I want to be able to play more champions at a better ability level and feel secure in either type of game that as long my teammates can work together I have a fair chance to win.

The problem with this is that I feel there is no good way for me to practice with various characters at the ability level I need. Based on the champion I select and the game type, the game always seems way too easy or way too difficult.

I feel like I have severe problem with building my champions, not just for given situations but even basic building. It almost never really seems to build smoothly and that I have to wait a long time before I can get the items I need to stay ahead or catch up.

I'm just posting this here to see what might come of it... might as well try right? Any suggestions/help/advice is greatly appreciated. Questions are welcome if you need further information to help.

Sevgz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2012

Hello!

I wanted to reply to this thread earlier but the power shut down and I just forgot, lol.

You probably need more confidence. Even if you lose horribly you will be improving over time, just go and play some pvp matches

Feel free to add me if you need in-game advice.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2012

Bots are there to help you understand how your abilities work, try some combos, get a feel of your champ, maybe jungle a bit. They're not a very accurate representation of a real game. So don't be afraid to play more PvP games.

If you're having a hard time improving, and you just don't know where to start, try looking at specific areas of gameplay.

Item builds: was your choice of items good? Can you improve on it? Answer is most definitely yes. This one shouldn't be too hard as you can always ask other players browse forums etc. Just be sure to weed out the unreliable sources.

Also counter building goes here. A build is only good or bad relevant to the game situation. Try to adapt.

Metaposition; Are you where you should be? This one often takes a while to get the hang on. There are times to push, farm, jungle, stick with your team, gank, countergank, defend, counterjungle, split push, regroup, retreat...

A very common mistake is to simply be at the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing. Sometimes the team needs you and you're just stuck farming. Sometimes you overextend whereas you should have backed. Sometimes you simply sit there on even grounds with the enemy team and just don't know what to do, whereas counter jungling and proper warding can win you the game. Try to pay attention to how the game flows. Think about what you could have done better.

Fighting; you can always learn a new trick about your champion, even after you think you've seen all there is. Keep an eye on high level streams, replays and make mental notes of particularly good moves and interesting ways of utilizing your abilities.

TknRabbi

07-19-2012

Well, I recommend you take a visit to the Guides section of the Forums, and read up on the champions that you tend to enjoy to play! PvP is definitely a different beast from Bot matches and once you begin to get to higher summoner levels you'll notice distinct meta games growing in both 3v3's and 5v5's.

I also would encourage you reading up on basic Team Composition and based on your champion selection, learn the role that you tend to best fit into.

Lastly, it takes dozens of losses before you can really get a feel for who you play and how you fit in, don't lose confidence because before you know it, you'll notice a distinct difference in how you play now vs how you played before. Learn from your mistakes, and try to take the advice of higher rank summoners who actually don't troll you ingame, you will find yourself learning alot!

Devacy

07-20-2012

"you'll notice distinct meta games growing" & "try to take the advice of higher rank summoners who actually don't troll you ingame" ~ TknRabbi

"don't be afraid to play more PvP games" "Metaposition" ~ SomniumProxy

"Feel free to add me if you need in-game advice." ~ Sevgz

What exactly do you mean by different meta games, can you explain this a bit further?

As far as taking advice of non-troll higher ranked player, I sadly have only ran into maybe two of them since I started. I'm not trying to brag by any means when I say this, I mean I've grinded my way to level 30 and 100 pvp wins but I can't say I feel like I did much to help. I don't want to feel like I'm carried all the time, and I want to get better so that when I see someone new I can help them.

I do need to work on farming, and I have no skill at jungling yet.

When it comes to retreating I often jump at the edge of the fight to allow a route away from the enemy for my teammates, often by a stun like Jax's counterattack ability. The problem being is that I am seeing A LOT of people standing near the battle or barely escaping with 1 or 2 bars of health only to turn around and me to get slowed and stunned four or five time and die. In a result the enemy still gets them because they stood near the edge and they get multi kills.

I am trying to save my allies in this but I'm not sure trying is worth it because I often get fussed at when they don't simply retreat and we get aced. What should I do in this situation... should I try to help and give them the chance to get away leaving them with 1 kill IF the team actually runs and is smart about it, or should I make sure the enemy doesn't get the ace and fall back myself, letting two or three teammates die. I'm asking mostly because I get fussed at either way and the enemy almost always gets the 2-4 kills or ace if i try.

Sevgz, I will do this. Thank you all for the advice so far.

TknRabbi

07-20-2012

Well when I think about what I consider the meta games in LoL, I tend to think about the following things I have to consider when playing a match......

A, Team Composition : If you go into solo que often in PvP, and you run into people on your team picking two tank characters, consider picking up a solo top AD carry character since you already have the beef in your team.....If your teammates are picking up heavy DPS characters, consider the opposite....Team composition will often determine a victory when it is two very skilled teams going against each other......

B. Counter Picking: Champions are often countered by other champions.....If I run into an Ashe, I naturally know my Trydamere is a solid counter for her, and I will be giving her hell in lane unless she is constantly calling for help from her teammates to gank me and try to get her out leveled and out farmed....... More then that, its possible to be countered by another champion in game, but be able to counter them in Item builds slightly, so its very important to begin learning what the item builds are, and the purchase order of those items to help give you the advantage.....

C. Pings, MIA, Ganks, The Jungle : These are things you begin to just become natural at doing or calling.....When the enemy disappears out of your lane, Call him as MIA and ping the way you believe he went.....Your teammates will begin to love you, and the odds of feeding your enemy begin to drop. Finding good teammates that you run like an well oiled engine with will help with those team fights and ganks that you may lose while you solo que. The last thing I gotta say, Sight wards are your friend, use them in key parts of the jungle and you'll notice yourself getting ganked less, even if your teammates are not pinging and calling MIA's.

Devacy

07-20-2012

"Team Composition, Counter Picking, Pings, MIA, Ganks, The Jungle" ~ TknRabbi

I know that it isn't good to have all AP or all AD champions on a single team as items can easily counter with armor or magic resist. It is also probably true of all range (squishy) or all tanks (very slow). So This much I am working on with some idea, though I know i could improve to better work with teammates champions.

When it comes to counter picking champions, I don't really have much clue yet. And as described in the team composition, I have an idea on item picking to counter magic or physical damage, but not much really beyond that.

I do try to call mia, and maybe I am not good at judging when one is simply out of view or has left to prepare a gank yet. I do try to call mia and ping when it is noticeably directed and predictable though. Enemy junglers that do not lane however give me most troubles and on that note I will try to put more priority on wards.

Like I said before I'm not good at jungling yet, but I am fair at hiding and moving though the jungle in prep for a gank.

Like people who complain about kill steals, or complain that I tried to save them /and failed only because they didn't use common sense in my opinion/ is that there is often people i see who wont call mia or ping. Those who dont call mia say they are "focusing and that they cant bother to read..." and say I should ping. While others say not to ping "it obscures the minimap" and that say call mia.

This has helped me identify a fair amount of stuff for me to work on and improve. Thank you.

TknRabbi

07-20-2012

Well, check out the guides section for a good idea on who counters who.....And you'll notice that as you get better, although your countered you will have a solid item build counter for that counter as well.....As far as calling MIA's its better to call out the MIA if you don't see them and say nevermind if they show back up on screen, rather then being unsure and not calling them at all.......

Pinging is a great thing for helping people find a correct route through the jungle to avoid ganks, or providing a possible location of a MIA, which is why I ping in conjunction of my MIA's. Enemy Junglers require someone to atleast have the presence of mind to try to counter jungle slightly, by either taking neutral mobs as soon as they spawn, or telling your team to randomly roam the jungle as a group to harass those pesky junglers such as Warwick, and begin to make them think twice before wondering out into the wilds......