The rape of Samus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ssraeshza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2010

Samus, for a long time, was the embodiment of a struggle. A struggle of genders in the gaming industry.

I can't say that she was on the winning side; she was the only strong, independent female lead in any major gaming franchise, *ever*. This is in contrast to the sea of butch, muscular kick-ass men which swamped the video game industry for... ever. As a woman, she was unique and while it is true that she had minor character traits, she did have an image and a certain stoic feel to her, she didn't need a man to hold her hand, she broke the mold, she was the female character that -could- be an intelligent, bad-ass character without being all about big-breasts and/or sandwiches.

All this was completely destroyed. The struggle has ended.

Of course, those of you who have your fingers on the pulse of the gaming community already know that I'm talking about...

Metroid: The Other M

Basically, take Samus and everything you know about her, chuck it out a window, now replace it with a lot of angst, drama and emo-style ranting/behavior, and you've got The Other M.

For the doubters... for those who need proof(*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***)

Watch this video, you've been warned

Canonically, this is Samus' 6th(ish?) encounter with Riddley. Samus has been a hardened bounty hunter for 10-15 years at this point since the game takes place between Super Metroid(Remember when you owned Riddley? yeah... ) and Metroid Fusion, making it the second to last game in the timeline.

Turning an iconic, groundbreaking, pave-the-wave-for-all-other-women, kick ass female character into an emotional train wreck of a little girl with daddy issues... was a... how best to describe it...?

Like slapping all women in the face with our collective testicl*s. Basically. I'm pretty sexist myself, but even I feel offended by the absolute rape of the Samus Aran character.

It is a dark day for the gaming industry... and females as a whole.

Adamantas

09-07-2010

Yeah, that was low

IS1d69e2e5726f5f

09-07-2010

game play looks good

story doesn't make sense... wasn't samus so popular because she kicks ass and didn't have any of those angst ****?

Berrix

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssraeshza View Post
Turning an iconic, groundbreaking, pave-the-wave-for-all-other-women, kick ass female character into an emotional train wreck of a little girl with daddy issues... was a... how best to describe it...?
Yeah, well so much that paving did for other female characters, popular ones now are overall generally ****ty, or so co-dependent you're even surprised she makes appearance in games.

Funniest thing is that one game and suddenly everyone is starting to think Samus is going to the overly emotional side of things. If we kept that up we'd all be sitting here still dooming Mario for riding karts from here on out in all his games.

... One game, dudes.

VerKnight

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrix View Post
... One game, dudes.
Still ruins the image of Samus that we all envisioned from her past games.

Just like how MW2 ruined the image of CoD for PC gamers.

All it takes is one game.

Berrix

09-07-2010

A systematically broken game doesn't do squat to the franchise that is/was CoD... Hell CoD wasn't that highly revered till WaW, before then it was a moderate success with moderate response. MW2 didn't just upheave upon the rest of the franchise. Not one do I see say, "MW2 sucked so much bawls, I need to stop playing the predecessors."

CoD didn't change, Mario Bros. wasn't changed by SMB2, Halo never changed by the RTS game and Metroid didn't change in Prime and it won't change now.

It's not like Nintendo GAVE Team Ninja the series.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssraeshza View Post
Like slapping all women in the face with our collective testicl*s. Basically. I'm pretty sexist myself, but even I feel offended by the absolute rape of the Samus Aran character.
You're taking yourself way too ****ing seriously. Most people, until Prime and Smash Brothers, had no clue Samus was even female.

Characterization is never bad, especially for a series like Metroid, which has been headed in a more RPG direction anyway. This, to most people, takes Samus down from the pedastal of "Badass chick with huge guns" and brings her down to a level that a lot more people can appreciate; human.

I hated Prime because it felt as though you were playing a character that you could never really connect with, and a lot of it felt forced. This is a step in the RIGHT direction, in my opinion, and this is coming from a female. I don't feel that what they're doing is cheapening an image at all. It's opening it up to a wider audience, and that's fine by me.

If they were putting her into a beach volleyball game or something, THEN I may have some complaints.

Ssraeshza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-08-2010

Quote:
Most people, until Prime and Smash Brothers, had no clue Samus was even female.
What kind of simpleton would assume Samus is a male after the extremely well known reveal at the end of Metroid(NES) ?

To further exacerbate my point, this was reiterated in the legendarily popular Super Metroid(SNES).

Anyone who was even remotely interested in the Metroid franchise very -obviously- knows that Samus = female. Though I suppose if you were born after 1997 you probably didn't know... hmmm.

Quote:
Characterization is never bad, especially for a series like Metroid, which has been headed in a more RPG direction anyway. This, to most people, takes Samus down from the pedastal of "Badass chick with huge guns" and brings her down to a level that a lot more people can appreciate; human.
I dislike having to explain basic concepts since I'm not your teacher/father. But okay, allow me to explain in easy-to-digest points:

• No one ever claimed character development was a bad thing; the *Direction* and severe inconsistency of the development is what is bad.
  • There is a difference between giving Samus humanity and turning her into a rape victim with daddy issues. I hope I don't have to explain this difference.
  • She *did* have characterization before The Other M, this was displayed through the game manuals, in-game entry logs and in-game decisions made by Samus herself(Example: Sparing the final, new-born Metroid at the end of "The Return of Samus")
  • Once again, the garbage that is "The Other M" is not consistent with Samus' previous characterization, freezing in front of Riddley after fighting him 6 times is just terrible writing
  • Relegating Samus as an instrument for *Men*(Or , more specifically, one man(Adam)) to use is insulting to her and to women everywhere, she's a man-obsessed emotional wreck, seriously, /what----the----F*ck/

Quote:
I hated Prime because it felt as though you were playing a character that you could never really connect with, and a lot of it felt forced. This is a step in the RIGHT direction, in my opinion, and this is coming from a female. I don't feel that what they're doing is cheapening an image at all. It's opening it up to a wider audience, and that's fine by me.
I wouldn't have guessed you were female. They aren't "cheapening" the Metroid franchise, they're raping it, or that is to say, they raped it, sexually assaulted it in the worst possible way.

I have no idea how a woman would be unable to see how this effectively turns back the clock on gender-issues by 25+ years.

Quote:
If they were putting her into a beach volleyball game or something, THEN I may have some complaints.
A joke game wouldn't be a problem because it's a *joke*.

When you insert Bella Swan-esque dialogue and behavior into a character like -Samus- and make it canon... you've royally violated the rectum of all of your fans and aspiring females everywhere.

To sum it up neatly:

They turned Ellen Ripley into Bella Swan
gg Nintendo.

VerKnight

09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrix View Post
A systematically broken game doesn't do squat to the franchise that is/was CoD... Hell CoD wasn't that highly revered till WaW, before then it was a moderate success with moderate response. MW2 didn't just upheave upon the rest of the franchise. Not one do I see say, "MW2 sucked so much bawls, I need to stop playing the predecessors."

CoD didn't change, Mario Bros. wasn't changed by SMB2, Halo never changed by the RTS game and Metroid didn't change in Prime and it won't change now.

It's not like Nintendo GAVE Team Ninja the series.
You ****ing know what I mean. CoD4 was the best of them. WaW was ok (Treyarch is **** compared to Inf Ward which is now destroyed). MW2 was enough to get a great deal of CoD PC players to never want to buy any future CoD games.

Yes, I still say Inf Ward was better even now. The quality of the game they put out was superior. If they hadn't made the PC MW2 mistake they did, they'd be golden.

Any console CoD player will never understand this and nor accept that they ruined the future for PC CoD by being console ****.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

09-08-2010

Quote:
What kind of simpleton would assume Samus is a male after the extremely well known reveal at the end of Metroid(NES) ?

To further exacerbate my point, this was reiterated in the legendarily popular Super Metroid(SNES).

Anyone who was even remotely interested in the Metroid franchise very -obviously- knows that Samus = female. Though I suppose if you were born after 1997 you probably didn't know... hmmm.
If it wasn't obvious that I was speaking from the perspective of your casual gamer, one who doesn't necessarily beat every game they play, then this is entirely reasonable. I'm 21, I was around when Metroid was still playing out, but that doesn't mean that I played through it, and I'm sure as **** not the only one in that boat.

Quote:
I dislike having to explain basic concepts since I'm not your teacher/father. But okay, allow me to explain in easy-to-digest points:
1.) Don't speak down to me.
2.) These points are all well and good, but all of those things CAN and DO play into the hands of developing a character. Even if you don't like them, the fact of the matter is, there are people out there that can and will relate to it. Just because it's not speaking to you doesn't mean it isn't speaking to someone.

Quote:
I wouldn't have guessed you were female. They aren't "cheapening" the Metroid franchise, they're raping it, or that is to say, they raped it, sexually assaulted it in the worst possible way.

I have no idea how a woman would be unable to see how this effectively turns back the clock on gender-issues by 25+ years.
Again, you're taking this way too seriously. A game isn't going to change people's minds that drastically one way or the other in regards to gender equality.

Just like most iconic men, women have just as many issues when you put them in front of a large group. Not the SAME problems, but still the same amount roughly. You're just looking at this one under a microscope and turning it into some sexist movement or whatever, and let's be honest, it's nothing of the sort.