Playing to win versus Not playing to win

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed In Fire

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
http://lolmatches.com/match/na452073901

I just experienced what happens when people listen to the OP, and I am not filled with enthusiasm for his will.
oh god

dat enemy team

RedAlkaiser

07-20-2012

Playing for fun is playing to get kills and doing whatever you want to do instead of being told to hold at top if you don't feel like it.

Some people just don't really care about a game to fill in hour or two, to the point that they'll write two profanity filled books on the forums.

Playing for fun means being able to understand you wont win any game, there isn't any reason to get worked up about it or yell at your teammates. Insulting someone and wishing death upon them wont make them play better. Typing up a storm wont give you 5000 gold or a point capture.

Playing for fun is when you want to break away from the meta or try out a champion you have not tried before in a live game rather than with bots. It's also when you're with your buddy and want to pull out laugh worthy moments like ganking bot at the start since no one expects to break away from the game script.

I guess that's why there are game mode distinctions though. Blind picks or ranked games.
I don't think many people come home and say, "Man, I really want to stress myself out over winning a game on LoL today! That extra 3IP is just what I need to save up in case Riot releases a champion for 50k IP!"

Redenbacher

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R View Post
I want to become a better player so I play to learn. This means trying out things to find out if they are good or not. Sometimes I lose because what I tried didn't work.

If I only cared about winning I'd get really good at bottom lane and play champions like Yorick.
The same is true for me as well. I typically don't get to play for long stretches of time... maybe I'll get a game or two in a night. As a result, every game I play is an exercise to learn something new. How to counter a particular champion, or how to strengthen my bottom play, or how to better time back dooring and ganking, etc.

I enjoy winning... but I'm not going to play the same champions over and over again to do so. I know I can win games with Pantheon, repeatedly... but it's old. His play is too binary, in my opinion, and the wins aren't satisfying or meaningful. I have the same issue with Ryze, and Yorick. Yea, I can pick them, I'll win a lot more often... but I don't learn anything other than, "I picked a stronger champion then my enemy, and then punished them for it." I'd rather outplay them entirely.

Watching a Jax fail miserably over and over again because you keep screwing up his stun with Alistar or Jayce is fun, and satisfying. You know they picked Jax likely because they think he's OP... then you render them useless and watch your team dominate. I love it.

FatMii

07-20-2012

What really bugs me is people thinking that I don't want to win when I pick tank Janna. At around 1.8k elo it is surprising to see people who have absolutely no idea that tank Janna is a viable pick let alone it is sometimes banned at high elo. Premades...