the transition from ai to normal games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dimkal

07-20-2012

i've been having trouble getting use to normal games i've lvled mainly due to playing against the ai and it's getting rather boring doing the same thing over and over... i was hoping to get some tips on how to make this transition easier on myself due to me dieing 24/7 and end up losing the game for my team.

the champ i tend to play the most is gragas and corki( if it matters really which champ i use)

the help is very appreciated

Amaltron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Just play normal over and over until you get used to it. There is really nothing to help you transition as intermediate bots are the closest thing you can get to it.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Yeah, just play games. You're going to die and lose, and eventually you'll learn from it. Ignore most of what other people say to you while you're learning.

XxFOWLAxxBOxX

07-20-2012

Bots won't hide in bushes at all, and one of the biggest things I've noticed is that wards are crucial when switching over. Also, humans will do stupid stuff so always plan on them turret diving u and going into 1v4's just for a kill.

Creator

07-20-2012

PVP games are much more fun, I agree, and the transition was hard for me also.

In PVP, you will have to ward, buffs matter - especially getting dragon and baron, and I would say there's a lot more depth in playing with people.

Focus on holding a lane, freezing a lane outside your turret, and most importantly, is that, after you win your lane - go help out other lanes

Judas Priest

07-21-2012

Trial and error, just keep trying.

SouthernIrishND

07-21-2012

Like many have said, keep practicing. Here's a list of few things that I think are important to keep in mind:

-Buy potions early game. It really helps you stay in the lane longer.
-Remember to last hit all of the minions that you can.
-Be relatively aggressive and harass the enemy champion(s) during the laning phase, especially if you are a ranged champion. This keeps them on guard and makes them back off.
-If the enemy you're laning against is fed, try to stay close to your tower.
-Be on the lookout for ganks through the river, especially if you're mid. Don't push too far, if you see that some of the enemy champions are missing in the minimap.
-If someone you're laning against is forcing you to go back to base too often, buy armor or mr to counter their dmg output.
-If you see that your minions are pushing the enemy tower, try to go help out the lanes next to you by ganking. (I.E. If you're bottom, go top. If you're mid, go top or bottom. etc.)

Hope this helps.

Etherimp

07-21-2012

Last hitting and trading in lane are two of the skills that you have been missing out on the most.

Against Bots, you can afford to be super aggressive and farm kills.

Against regular players, you cannot. Focus on last hitting, harassing and avoiding harass.

Ask yourself WHY you are harassing.

"Is this harass just going to get healed up by soraka?"

"Do they have enough sustain to outheal my damage?"

"Am I going to prevent them from getting last hits?"

"Am I winning trades with this champion?"

"Can I eventually push them out of lane or will I get pushed out first?"

Learning these kinds of things will help you learn how to win your lane, which is just the beginning to playing well versus others.

Haricots

07-21-2012

There are some good general tips that apply to every player.
But I think that the main point hasn't been touched on:
Skill level vary enormously in this game and both normal and ranked games are required for the system to approximate your skill level so that you will end up in fair games.
Players have an Elo for normal games too, but it is hidden.

The system hasn't been able to determine your skill level because of a lack of games, so it is likely that your current Elo doesn't match your skill.
So my tips would be to grind normal games and not take any poor performances and the rage from your teammates personal, it will get better.

LarcyBrown

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Last hitting and trading in lane are two of the skills that you have been missing out on the most.

Against Bots, you can afford to be super aggressive and farm kills.

Against regular players, you cannot. Focus on last hitting, harassing and avoiding harass.

Ask yourself WHY you are harassing.

"Is this harass just going to get healed up by soraka?"

"Do they have enough sustain to outheal my damage?"

"Am I going to prevent them from getting last hits?"

"Am I winning trades with this champion?"

"Can I eventually push them out of lane or will I get pushed out first?"

Learning these kinds of things will help you learn how to win your lane, which is just the beginning to playing well versus others.
Thats just the tip of the iceberg, here is a few more.

Did my oponent just use a skill on minions, so if i try to go in on him now he will have less abilities to trade damage with me with?

He is wide open , far from tower range, used all his cooldown on minions.Where was the jungler last seen, are any of the opponents MIA to know if i can go all out on him?.

Are his summoner spells available or did he recently use them?
Are my summoner spells available?

Am i going in just to harrass and back or going in for the kill?

The opponent is on me and were trading a lot, on next trade do i have a heath pot to use
as soon as it starts to have a slight advantage?

Your ability to answer a lot of these in ur head in a split second before you go harass or go all in will often determine how you will overwealm or be overwealm by ur opponent.
Often the results in lane get to the point where mind games happen and will determine who has the guts to expose themself and keep farming ... or not.

One more tip, no more how badly u do in laning phase, what win teamfights is ur ability to place a good ultimate and play ur role to its full extend before u die.