Balance Between Farming and Fighting

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I Thunderclese I

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

Recently, I've started to realize that my playstyle is way too passive. I almost never attempt to trade a little damage between my opponent and myself, which, against an agressive lane opponent like the ones I face nowadays, would eventually get me tower dived and killed. I'd just like to ask when would be a good time to trade a little damage, and what should the balance be between trading damage and farming (answers for all lanes would be appreciated).

I would also like to know: How much CS by 10 minutes would be a good score? By 20 minutes?

Please and thank you in advance for answers!

-Thunderclise

Dragoon Feld

07-18-2012

best tims to trade dmg are when u can capitalize on it w/o taking much if any. if your playing a ADC . watch their ADC and your creep wave. figure out what creeps they are going to last hit, position yourself thusly and do your dmg

PogoPogoPogoPogo

07-18-2012

I don't think you should necessarily be looking to trade damage 1 for 1 with an opponent, ever.

So to that end, the times you should be looking to run past the minions and hit the enemy champion would be every time that you think you can do more damage to the enemy champion than damage you will take between him, his minions, and his turret.

Now granted, it's all situational. If you're playing someone with great sustain where you can easily get your health back and your enemy can't get health back quite so easily, then maybe trading damage 1 for 1 isn't so bad. You're getting your health back faster than him, so he's more likely to die or have to B before you. And that's important. Pushing the enemy out of the lane accomplishes a lot for you. A few different things can happen when you force the enemy out of the lane.

1. You get free farm. You can kill at least a wave of minions before he gets back if he didn't die, and potentially two or more waves if he did die. You're not at least one minion wave up on him in farm. Not just XP, but also gold.

2. You get to damage the turret. Perhaps you killed him at his turret and your minions pushed to the turret. This is an opportunity to damage his turret. And that's how you win your lane: kill his turret before he kills yours.

3. You force his jungler to come defend the lane. Sometimes you won't get free farm or hits on the turret. But you'll force his jungler out of the farm. So while you're not necessarily making any more progress toward winning your lane, you are making progress toward winning the game. It gives your jungler an advantage. Maybe he can go steal one of their buffs while he knows where their jungler is at.

4. You get a chance to B, if necessary. Early game, I hesitate to B unless I'm super low on health and mana. If I'm not going to do anything in my lane but risk dying, I B. But once you've forced your enemy out of the lane back to base, you can, if necessary, take the opportunity to go back yourself. If you are even or behind on farm, I'd stay in the lane and get the free farm. But if you already had a farm advantage before forcing him out of the lane, I'd take this opportunity to go buy some items to turn the gold advantage into a real advantage and try to snowball the lane.

But just trading damage 1 for 1 where there's going to be nothing but a neutral exchange of damage and you'll both have to B? I don't think this is a necessary risk. I'd rather sit back a little, give him some farm, and try setting up a gank for my jungler when he gets near my lane than to try exchanging damage.