"Simple" and "Easy" aren't the same thing

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 44
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeonChinchilla

Senior Member

07-15-2012

What makes a MOBA game hard is the 5v5 aspect. The game itself is just a vehicle for that fighting action, the mechanics of the game being simple of complex can either add or take away from the overall feeling of the game itself.

imo DOTA 2 has a lot of complex aspects that make the game too much of a hassle for me to want to deal with. If I wanted to get into DOTA competitively then sure I could spend the time getting over the mechanics to get to the actual pvp strategy behind it.

League is simplified down and removes a lot of the learning curve essentially speeding up the time it takes to get to the actual gameplay.



to each his own, some people prefer learning and mastering complex mechanics while others would prefer to skip most of that. Same end result, different roads.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nezgul

Senior Member

07-15-2012

I wouldn't necessarily say that Dota2 is more complex because the mechanics are more byzantine in nature.

It's that usability and user-friendliness are kinda ****ty. Not to trash DotA2 -- it has a lot of things, both good and bad, that LoL doesn't have. And that's a good thing -- I like diversity. But they're both about equal in likability.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

srkfx

Senior Member

07-15-2012

Just what is hard to master in this game? I hit 1400 with support,and i have 7 fps/250 ping for ****s sake,game is just so forgiving that it isn't funny,.

Last hitting is easy, itemization is non-existent(i bought MR against ap heavy team,im so pro!!!111),warding is a joke,roaming impossible,meta is super stagnant.

It's so EASY to be good at this game,just grind some runes,master 3 champs in 10 games(since they are,as you say "simple"),go in line that meta predefined,and unless you are braindamaged you will have silver,even if you play few games a week.



Some people prefer hard stuff,because they enjoy challenge.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raolan

Senior Member

07-15-2012

DotA is harder than LoL because there are more mechanics to manage. How is that confusing? You stated in your own post that many were "outright removed" for LoL.

i.e You say there's less to worry about in LoL, which means it's... just as difficult? No.

LoL has a high skill cap, DotA's is a little bit higher, and games like SC2 I'd say are higher still. Seriously, all you said was "LoL has fewer mechanics, therefore it's not easier."

EDIT: Also, with DotA 2 many of the confusing things for new players have been removed. Shops are now much easier to go through, abilities are easier to understand, etc.
This games still great, but trying to say it's just as difficult to master as DotA is idiocy. The difference is probably minimal, but it's still there because there is a higher required knowledge for DotA.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SP3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frowny Cupcake View Post
I always hear DotA players calling LoL "easy". Whenever I hear this, I cringe. Compared to DotA, LoL is a pretty simple game, and that was one of Riot's goals. The game is easier to pick up, there is less burden of knowledge (Invoker op), and many game mechanics are simplified, clarified, or just outright removed (denying).

However, that does not mean LoL is easy. LoL is simple.
That's a kinda confusing statement.


Simple is, by definition, something that can be easily understood, analyzed, used, done, etc., something not complicated.
Simple basically implies "easeness". And the opposite of easy is, of course, hard, complicated.

But it goes further, if you think about it, a more complex game has more content to be analyzed and understood. The things you must learn, besides being greater in number, also require greater effort to be understood. They're more complex after all.

Since it requires a greater deal of effort, you can say it's more difficult. It's in the very definition of difficult: Needing much effort or skill to accomplish, deal with, or understand.

Difficult, a synonym for "hard", opposite of easy as in: Easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty.
Or even: Achieved without great effort; presenting few difficulties.



Saying LoL is not easy BUT calling it simple is confusing at least, if not contradictory.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raolan

Senior Member

07-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish n Chicks View Post
That's a kinda confusing statement.

Saying LoL is not easy BUT calling it simple is confusing at least, if not contradictory.
+1, spot on.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MasterofSFL

Senior Member

07-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raolan View Post
DotA is harder than LoL because there are more mechanics to manage. How is that confusing? You stated in your own post that many were "outright removed" for LoL.

i.e You say there's less to worry about in LoL, which means it's... just as difficult? No.

LoL has a high skill cap, DotA's is a little bit higher, and games like SC2 I'd say are higher still. Seriously, all you said was "LoL has fewer mechanics, therefore it's not easier."

EDIT: Also, with DotA 2 many of the confusing things for new players have been removed. Shops are now much easier to go through, abilities are easier to understand, etc.
This games still great, but trying to say it's just as difficult to master as DotA is idiocy. The difference is probably minimal, but it's still there because there is a higher required knowledge for DotA.
More Complex =/= Harder and that is what he is saying. I've played both League and HoN and I have to say that the only real difference (other than Skill usage) is simply the amount of mechanics involved. That's about it, the core concepts are exactly the same. Fact is, more mechanics, more things to do, does not really mean it's going to be harder in any manner, it just means you are going to have to learn more.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

srkfx

Senior Member

07-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofSFL View Post
more things to do, does not really mean it's going to be harder in any manner.
In real world,it does.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PiersonsPuppet

Senior Member

07-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofSFL View Post
More Complex =/= Harder and that is what he is saying. I've played both League and HoN and I have to say that the only real difference (other than Skill usage) is simply the amount of mechanics involved. That's about it, the core concepts are exactly the same. Fact is, more mechanics, more things to do, does not really mean it's going to be harder in any manner, it just means you are going to have to learn more.
Why are you going to have to learn more?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RedLambs

Senior Member

07-15-2012

The same fight between War3 and SC1, too much ****


12345612 ... 44