"Simple" and "Easy" aren't the same thing

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raolan

07-18-2012

There's not much point in having this argument here anyway.

These are the LoL forums. Anyone that supports DotA will be downvoted into hell and anyone that supports LoL will be upvoted. And as usual the community is monopolar and can't settle on both being good. Morello skillfully avoided the actual question, which I'm greatful for.

When you compare the two however, League of Legends is really watered down and timid. In DotA I can solo baron as Ursa by the 10 minute mark, because his passive applies +30 damage per hit infinitely, so on a target with that much HP I'm doing 1000 damage per hit by the time it dies. In LoL, the closest comparison is probably Jax by the time you've got a full build can solo.

I hate it when people say DotA is "stupidly confusing". It's honestly not. The only things you're not told from the start are the same kind of things you're not told about in LoL. There's just a bit more depth to abilities and thus more ways to use them for you to learn, whereas almost every ability in LoL has one purpose and one purpose only. Probably the best example I can think of is Pudge and Blitzcrank. Blitzcrank can only pull enemies, that's the only thing that ability can do other than trolling buffs. Pudge on the other hand can hook enemies and save allies. But the downside is it's much harder to use his hook since it hits everything. Let's not even go into Pudge trolling enemies by suiciding with his cloud before they kill him.

SBGC Jammer

Recruiter

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
tl;dr: Clarity is the most important thing on this front, and when done right, makes a game more deep and make more sense. These are not competing goals, but instead, complimentary ones.
I enjoyed reading this (the whole thing, not just the TL;DR).

Holy Malevolence

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raolan View Post
In DotA I can solo baron as Ursa by the 10 minute mark, because his passive applies +30 damage per hit infinitely, so on a target with that much HP I'm doing 1000 damage per hit by the time it dies.
Uh....
That sounds like one of the most bland things in existence.

Froghl

07-18-2012

Es simple es claro.... cuak

Poleshoe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by morello View Post
you're ****ing high.
the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best

MaidMaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

Well, I think I'm at a good place to give my opinion since I play both Dota2 and LoL.

I started playing DotA when I joined the College. It was very fun, we even skipped classes to go home earlier to play it.
I, then, started playing LoL when one of my friends came up with its name, saying he tried some games and it was pretty fun.
The main reason I joined LoL? Simply because it's graphics and interface / social interation was better than BattleNet ****ty "join a game" stuff.
Since then I played LoL at least 1 game per day. I'm not a pro. I'm actually stuck at 1300 elo, and well, maybe my place is there? I don't know. But as a casual player I feel very good playing with champions I know well, and I have good map awareness etc etc. This is basically given by the fact that in DotA is much harder (yes, read "harder"), to have good map coverage, due to wards having cooldown on re-stock. Even my friends ask me to give calls on mia of all the lanes, and to say things like "X has gone mid; Y just left the jungle and went to buy", etc, because they feel like I'm good at coaching our team.

And after all of this time, I continued to play Dota. Much more frequently now with Dota2.

As I'm staying in the tiny line between both games, what I can say for sure is:
-There will always be hate between Dota2 and LoL communities, despite the points given out by either one of them being valid or not.
-Both games are amazing.
-Each one has its marvelous champion/hero chart, though I can easily affirm Dota2 has a better one, with more variety, unique gameplay, and every single hero has its utility, with only a few having the "right click only" feeling. LoL is very limited in this aspect, though lately there are some nice champions coming out, with nice mechanics (like Jayce, Draven, and Zyra).
-Dota feels more balanced than LoL. Now, some people may go mad and will say: "OMG NOOB DOTA IS SO UNBALANCED. LOOK AT THAT X HERO. HE IS OVERPOWER BLABLA." Well, there are indeed OP heroes in Dota, and a LOT of pubstompers by nature (read Ursa Warrior, Phantom Assassin, Rikimaru, etc). But they are easily countered. Believe me, they are rarely picked in the competitive games. Why is Dota really balanced? While you have a lot of good carries, you got also lots of pushing opportunities, or roaming. You can easily shut down a carry by ganking him, denying lane farm etc. You can come up with new lane compositions and screw the current meta. Every single game of a tournment is entirely different.
What do you see in LoL? Solo TOP bruiser or rarely an AP, an AP mid, a jungler, and support + AD Carry bot. Well, I hate this ****ty meta. I miss my old days before lvl 30 where I could just go Lux + Garen bot and still have fun. Nowadays if you go duo matchmaking, and say that you and your friend are going a different bot lane, people will either flame you the entire game, if you lose, or even dodge queue 'cause they are afraid of change.

Why do I keep playing both? Shouldn't I focus on LoL, and get better rating? Or should I keep on playing Dota2 alone?

Well, I love playing Katarina. And I also love playing Yurnero.
The point is both games are nice, and have their unique champions.
And while I hate this current meta of LoL, I can't quit because I'd miss the team fights, the skills, the ultimates...
Oh god, I'd miss Teemo so much!

So please, stop the hatred, at least from our community. If you don't like Dota, either if you're just bad there or just don't like the game, forget about it.

TL;DR: Both games are nice and complex. LoL is, for sure, more friendly than Dota. But its counterpart is that is a lot more boring than Dota. I like both, and I play both. Stop the hatred between them.
To finish up, I agree with OP: Simple and Easy are not the same. LoL is simpler, but not easier. LoL and Dota are in the same level of difficulty. It's just "easier" to catch up how things work in LoL, but that doesn't make it easier to reach PRO levels (myself as an example).

IS1879fbf8ece39275db4d9

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmaster69 View Post
League is a better game than DotA fullstop.
This is entirely a matter of opinion. In my opinion for example, League of Legends is a better game for casual gamers while DotA is a better game for hardcore players. Someone else might think the exact oposite and another person might have a completely different view on this.

Jappleack

07-18-2012

Quote:
To anyone who says League of Legends is an easy game...you're ****ing high.
Can I quote you on this until the end of time?

Zerglinator

07-18-2012

I told everyone that Clarity deserved to stay in the game, but they all said I was a noob!

IS1879fbf8ece39275db4d9

07-18-2012

Quote:

To anyone who says League of Legends is an easy game...you're ****ing high. MOBA's core ruleset is incredibly complex and takes a lot of skill and coordination just to navigate at a base level.
MOBAs also have features such as replay on release, not years later. Just saying.