[WIP] Countering Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

peyo

09-06-2010

Hello. I've decided to make a guide on how to counter certain champions. The problem is that it takes a lot of time and I'm not even sure if people like it (well, I hope they do ). It is marked as a Work In Progress, since I've only done Akali so far and would like to get opinions on it before I get to use more of my time as well as suggestions on what to improve and who should be the next one to get countered :]

I am sorry for any mistakes or whatever, I am not native english speaking person :P

//edit: This guide is made for SR, as I don't play TT. Some tactics might NOT work, be aware of that. Also, added Garen's Counter Guide.

AKALI:

Description:
Akali is a very good, arguably the best, burst champion. Her Twilight Shroud grants her invisibility and increased Armor and Magic Res, making her much harder to kill while she's inside. Her ulti grants her great mobility during fights and allows her to keep up with enemies, as well as escape - she can jump at enemy/neutral creeps.

Spells: Exhaust, Clairvoyance + Ghost & Flash partially
Exhaust makes her unable to hit you and therefore activate her Q's on-hit active. Clairvoyance can be cast nearby the Shroud, so you can see which way she's going - after she quits Shroud, she's still invisible for around a second or half, during which she can hide in brush.
Ghost & Flash are 'kind' of counter, they allow you to lure her out from the circle so she gets no Armor/MRes boost and she doesn't disappear every single time you're about to use skill/hit her.

Items: Oracle Elixir, Vision Ward, Magic Res and Armor items.
Oracle and Vision Ward allows you to see her inside the Shroud, greatly decreasing her survivability. Magic Res and Armor protects you from her burst. You need both since she's a hybrid champ when it comes down to type of damage dealt.

Abilites: Long lasting CC, AoE damage, abilities that do not require a target and abilites that reveal area.
The best CCs are:
Silence - preventing her from using skills makes her pretty much nothing.
Stun - same as Silence plus she can't move? Perfect.
Taunt - again, she can't use skills and if you have an AoE taunt (i.e. Shen and Galio) you can try taunting her when she's inside Shroud, if you succeed, she will appear as she'll be attacking.
Knockbacks - taking her away from that **** circle? yes please
Slows and Roots doesn't have that much effect on her as she can still keep up with you thanks to her ulti as long, as there's something to jump at.
AoE damage hits her even when she's inside Shroud, trying to escape or hide.
Abilities that doesn't require target (e.g. all AoE abilites like Gragas's Body Slam, some single target ones like Ezreal's Mystic Shot) allow you to see where she currently is if you manage to hit her.
Abilities that reveals area - Corki's Phophorus Bomb, Nidalee's Bushwack and Kog'Maw's Living Artillery - making her visible when inside the Shroud makes her almost impossible to escape.

Strategy:
During early game, before level 6 you want to harass her as much as possible and maybe try to kill her if possible. Just be careful. She'll be attacking back with Kamas, but even tho it doesn't hit much, she can spam it, so get in range only when you're about to harass. Do NOT let her get in melee range, so that she can't actvate her Q's on-hit active for free double damage.
Once she reaches 6 (or rather right before she reaches it), you should fall back to your turret and play even more defensively (I assume you're following basic laining rules). Her burst by level 6 is high enough to take down most of the nontanky champs down quickly. You don't want her to get early kills, trust me. Report EVERY single miss to your team mates and ping preferably to make sure they got it, even if she goes in bush in your lane. Better safe than sorry. She's a ganker, preventing her from getting early kills makes her weaker late.
Mid game is where she really shines, like most of the bursty champs. You want to prevent her from getting kills as much as possible. Map control (e.g. with wards) is always a great counter for bursty gankers.
During team fights you have to be aware of where she is. She'll be aiming for your squishy carries/casters and she can get close with her Dash. After she gets a kill, she'll go invisible and run away. Do not let it happen. Protect your the most precious carry as much as possible. You want to focus her first, as soon as she dashes in and you should be having Oracle's Elixir to make it WAY easier. The squishy targets should stick close, with as much AoE burst damage as possible, so that she can't be raping them on your back where you're too far to help them. When she used the Shroud to escape, you want to surround it with people who have enough HP to survive the burst. I hate it when our fed Ezreal tries to steal yet another kill with 200HP left, dies from just a dash and Akali escapes/dies from Turret, as she's too far for us to reach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAREN:

Description:
Garen is a really good tanky DPS. Doesn't matter if you build him all tanky, he still can do some nice damage. He has long Silence (2.5s from level 1, hurts a lot early), anti-slow spin that is deadly early and a great finisher (used to KS mostly ). His passive lets him lane like forever and his W reduction is nice, making him a bit tanky even if not built so. Overall, he's a great early game killer and nice late game tanker and finisher.

Spells: Exhaust, Ghost, Heal
Since the recent patch, Exhaust can be cast to slow him down after he starts spinning, that's a good thing. It also makes him unable to Silence you. Ghost is great, as Garen strongly relies on mobility. If you're faster than he is, he is no threat. Well timed Heal can save lives and get kills, especially when Garen has just Flashed right next to you and is about to execute you or your ally.

Items: Madred's Bloodrazor, Deathfire Grasp, Banshee's Veil, Last Whisper, Void Staff, Mobility and Armor items
Garen even if not built as a tank, is tanky. Most of the Garens get Sunfire Capes and/or Frozen Mallet, so that they have lots of HP and nice Armor. MBR and DFG do great against high HP champs. Banshee's Veil protects you from the Silence, so if you rely heavily on your skills, you shouldn't let him Silence you for such a long duration. Sometimes it will even protect you from his ulti, but that's more like a lucky shot. As said before, if you're faster than Garen, he's not a threat, that's why most of the Garens get Boots of Swiftness and that's why high mobility is great. Last Whisper & Void Staff are obvious anti-tank items. Armor items shield you from everything other than his ulti. And if he can't get you low, his ulti is no use.

Abilities: True damage, HP based abilities, taunts, good spammable slows, distance-making abilities.
True damage (e.g. Olaf's Reckless Swing) and HP based abilities (e.g. Amumu's Despair) are great against any tanky champion.
Taunt should make him stop spinning and start auto attacking (will be tested).
Spammable slows are ok since the last patch, as he can be now slowed after he starts spinning. Again, if you're faster than him (or he's slower than you) he's no threat. But it has to be an effective slow (as he takes only 50% of it when he spinns) and with spamming ability (like Ashe's Frost Shot).
Distance-making abilities (e.g. Knock-backs, Anivia's Wall, sometimes Knock-ups, Snares and Stuns) prevents him from getting close. Stuns, Snares and Knock-ups are fine, but they don't make him stop spinning, so it's good only when you're trying to escape.

Strategy:
Early game is where Garen is really good. He has laining power (passive) and some nice single target (Decisive Strike) and AoE (Judgment) damage. If he can lane with a stunner/snarer, then it's a really nasty combo. You should be playing very carefully. He can outheal from your harass with his passive and he'll probably do it inside the brush closer to your turret, so that you can't get close (Q+E and you're dead/low). You need to keep hitting him, atleast once every 7s, so that his passive doesn't activate. I hardly ever see people doing so, they let him regenerate instead. Grab a Sight Ward once you're back to fountain and place it in the brush he's in, so that you can see him waiting for you and you can harass him while he's hid in brush. Once he's 6, you should watch your HP. If he's running with Flash and/or Ghost (I guess I've never seen a Garen with no Ghost) he can quickly close the distance and execute you. Do not stand under your turret, thinking you're safe, he'll walk in, Q + R you and walk out, he's tanky enough to get few turret hits with his W. You better recall once you're 200-300HP.
Moving into mid-late game, his damage becomes weaker, but he gets more tanky. You shouldn't be wasting your CC for him, you better focus these squishy casters and carries on his back. Try to separate him from your squishies and please, do not ever try to kill him when you're low, he has an Execute skill...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, post your opinions, feedback and suggestions. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is also well welcomed. Also post your suggestions on who should I make next.

Cueballmac

09-06-2010

I'd like to see more on the other champions before I could make a detailed opinion overall. As for Akali, its a well thought guide all through out. I don't have problems against her but its true that if she is fed early on, she will be a beast later bursting down your squishies like instant noodles.

This looks promising but I think that this will be a difficult project since all are subject for change according to patch updates. Another thought is maybe you should have posted this topic when you at least have compiled a number of heroes, especially those that are prime carries/support/tanks in the game.

Zenixx

09-06-2010

I'd really like an Olaf counter guide...cud any1 please give suggestions? i played a 3v3 with morg,shen,teemo..every1 was lvl18 with almost full eqs n he's still able to wipe us off in a 1v3 ==" disables rendered useless due to the ult..he'll jz chase u if u decided 2 run..eventually able 2 capture 1...he hits like an ass..wonderin if thornmails wud b helpful? unless he's nerfed, any ideas hw to counter him? =="

MuffinButtonYay

09-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenixx View Post
I'd really like an Olaf counter guide...cud any1 please give suggestions? i played a 3v3 with morg,shen,teemo..every1 was lvl18 with almost full eqs n he's still able to wipe us off in a 1v3 ==" disables rendered useless due to the ult..he'll jz chase u if u decided 2 run..eventually able 2 capture 1...he hits like an ass..wonderin if thornmails wud b helpful? unless he's nerfed, any ideas hw to counter him? =="
Olaf is a very powerful tanky carry. You have to shut down his early game to shut down his late game. If you don't beat them early on, you will have issues with Olaf.

Carados

09-06-2010

Hey, just a reminder that because things can be countered, doesn't mean they are balanced.

Sturmhard

09-06-2010

olaf? any karthus will shut down his jungling and any twisted can simply gank him at level 6 because you run around with marginal amounts of health.

exhaust will shut him down for several seconds (a good part of his ult-duration) which usually results in a dead olaf.

another jungler is a pain in the ass for olaf....same reason as above. any udyr or ww will simply obliterate you, when your low and hitting on neutrals.

these at least are the hard counters. but the biggest counter is not to let him farm early.

if you let him farm the whole game, be prepared to get rolled. if he is fed and decides to go ape**** on your squishies you can kiss your ass goodbye

Cat Eyed Liar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2010

Needs some Garen counter.

peyo

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaCath View Post
Needs some Garen counter.
added Garen's Counter Guide.

Garen and Olaf are hard to counter, as they don't need much more than just skilled player to be successful.
I'll try to make an Olaf guide later, but it will be for SR as I don't play TT at all (I don't like this gankgankgankgankgankgank game...), so some counters might not work.

kijik

09-07-2010

Post a reasonable counter for kass(other than another frigging kass, don't be a chode) and see if I can't pick it apart >_>

Zenixx

09-07-2010

great! will b waitin for tht olaf guide...thx 4 the garen 1..at least tht deals with this problem ==