The meaning of "kill stealing"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Armageddal

07-18-2012

It's generally not something to worry about. It does matter somewhat as Borgbilly said - the person who gets the kill gets the most gold, so kills are better on carries than on, say, the support. However, it's better to ensure your team mate gets the kill than to accidentally let them get away. That being said, I would only call it a kill steal if you take the kill when your team mate had a 100% chance of finishing them. I've seen some pretty crazy escapes...

Kallana

07-18-2012

Just remember one thing...It's not kill stealing, it's kill securing. =)

seredhras

07-19-2012

I try to apologize after taking a kill I didn't work for (usually by accident) to keep the good will flowing.

Also sometimes I'll "kill steal" if I think the other guy is going to get away or if I feel like I'll do better with the gold than my lanemate (in which case I probably did half the damage anyways so I don't feel bad at all, mostly if I am the AD carry and they are just some random melee character going in to finish someone from all my pokes).

And of course there are ragers who complain because you deal 10x more damage than they do so when you enter a team fight you destroy the other team and get a triple from them all at 1/2-3/4 health.

The Jade Fist

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Wizard View Post
kill stealing (ks) is basically when one champ does all the work to get a kill and another champ last hits the champ you were trying to kill.
While yes thats true, and its annoying, If i can i will be invovled in as many fights as possible either by trying to buff/ heal some one fighting, or even taking the last hit even if thats all i can do.

That might piss my team mates off, but that means more gold for our team as a whole, and honestly between kill and assist gold, its not that much, though there is a difference. I just want some gold out of the fight.

Only times you have a right to be mad about being ksed is when you were did all the dmg to some one , and for what ever reason you weren't able to finish them off and some one else just pokes, and oh look you didn't even get the assist you rightfully deserved, because that does hurt your gold.

UnBR33vuhble

07-19-2012

What gets me about "kill stealing" is how I'm Nidalee, normally, on my first account, and my Q does MASSIVE damage, either based on range or HP missing from the target. So I can't really control if they flash to dodge my spear, but still get hit by it and get killed. I don't go after obvious kills, but if my ally isn't going to get it based on speed, I WILL finish it, KS or not, because I want the MF to respawn, not heal. Now if I get called a KS when I'm in a support role, it's because it was my life or theirs, so I fought for mine. If I can't get away, i'mma do some damage, and TRY to kill the enemy.
As for the rest of the time, if I get called a KSer for an ACCIDENTAL KS as Nidalee (who can carry, BTW) then yea, I will TRY to KS that individual as much as possible, or let them get hurt and have to fall back while I help a tanker get the kill. I enforce instant karma, I guess ;P

TwistWrist

07-19-2012

Nidalee isn't a carry. You can only carry with her when players aren't very good. She is mostly picked for her annoying laning and split-pushing abilities.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-19-2012

I have no idea why there's such a prevalence of people who argue that kill stealing is a thing...

Okay fine I do, people are innately selfish and overconfident.

Daemous

11-16-2012

I never worry about kills honestly. I just play my best and if I happen to get a kill, good for me, if I don't get the kill but still get an assist, still good for me, why? I always remember that LoL is a team based game and getting a kill for your team no matter who it is who actually lands that last hit is what is important.

At the college I go to, in one of the buildings I have classes in, there is a motivational poster that has a quote that says:

"You will be amazed at what what you can accomplish as long as you don't care who gets the credit" - Harry S. Truman.

That applies here as well.

All I worry about when playing matches in LoL is "am I playing my champion well?", "am I helping my team well?" and "am I being mean/rude/offensive to my other teammates? If so what can I do to change that?"

I do get a lot of matches with low kill score but high assists, and I don't care about not getting a lot of kills as long as I felt I helped the team well.

Drakojan

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Except they are getting gold. They are just complaining about 4-minions worth of gold difference.

Actually, no. They aren't complaining about the gold. They are complaining that the kill count didn't go up.

Some people need to realize the only thing that matters at the end of the game is whether you had fun or not.
Fixed.

FaceRoll13

11-17-2012

Kill Stealing is when my family all plays together in beginner bots and attempt to do just that.

I have had some other summoners sit back at the edge of battle and not contribute at all until the opponent is on the verge of death.
They kill them, then flee the area as quickly as they can. That can be a little frustrating if I'm jumping into a bunch of opponents to secure the kill.