How can I be a better player?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kuryaka

07-16-2012

I'd like to emphasize two things MoreMedz said.

"Do not trade blows if you do not think you can win." - Don't fight a fair fight. Always have an advantage - more teammates, an ambush, MUCH more health, more items, fighting under the tower, all good ways to get an edge on the opponent.
It'll take experience to know who you can kill and who you can't, so just play it safe. Every loss is a lesson learnt.

"Get used to the role." - Try champions of different roles. See which role you like. Learn that role.
I liked being the tank - strong CC to protect carries was my main reason for tanking. So after trying out most of the interesting-looking champions per free week in a custom game with bots, I chose one of the tanks to play in a normal game.
Eventually I went and tried mages as well, then supports. Never learned AD carry until level 30. My main role now is jungler.
Try out the free week champions. Next week, try champions similar to the ones you liked. And just practice that role to get a feel for the game.

Check guides on solomid for advice on how to play/build a certain champion.

GXtreme

07-20-2012

Thank you everyone for your responses they are a great deal of help. I have been attempting to play more pvp matches opposed to bots and my progress isn't great but I am learning a great deal compared to fighting bots. Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

As of right now I have been sticking with Ashe occasionally swapping with one of the free to play champs in rotation. I seem to be having a lot of issues with which items to buy for my champ and not knowing what to do when certain situations arise. I am trying to keep my cool even when I am getting pwned but its hard when your team is constantly yelling lol. Ah well I guess that just goes with the game.

Also I was wondering about what terminologies I should know. For example Carry and Support what are these champs purpose what do they do etc?

RiotKTGoldwolf

Assistant Producer

07-20-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

This thread is packed with some great advice!

To echo what others have touched upon already, the dedication to improving your own play goes a long way toward actually improving your own play.

I also think you are on the right track with trying as many champions as you can in each rotation. While getting the hang of items for so many champions can be confusing at first, I think over time you'll identify a few key items (favorites such as Deathcap, Infinity Edge, Philosopher's Stone, and others) that make a good basic toolkit to be familiar with when making your own first builds for new champions. Try our recommended builds or builds recommended by others on the internet to start with, see what you like about them, and then experiment on some variations to suit each game.

Good luck out there!

Larysia

07-20-2012

I <3 Mobafire. There are quite a few guides on there that give super in-depth guides on builds and actually how to PLAY your character in certain situations...(What skills to use when, how to counter certain champs, ect)

Confusion567

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Be less aggressive. The number one problem with new LoL players is that they pursue kills when it's not a good idea. Start out being very passive; take potshots at enemies when they're offered, and move with your team when your team moves, but don't ever charge in alone. Eventually you'll get a sense of how much damage you do and you can start moving back to aggression when you can do it intelligently.

Also, last-hit. What that means is that you shouldn't attack minions until they have a sliver of HP. It's a very bad idea to kill every minion in a wave as fast as you can, because that pushes the lane. It's not a big deal at lower levels, but eventually that will get you killed. At higher levels of play, the enemy will still be able to get last-hits on their minions under the tower, but they will be totally safe because you won't be able to harass them without the tower attacking you (towers attack minions, then champions, but if you deal damage to a champion within its range, the tower will attack you). At the same time, you will be exposed if the enemy jungler comes out of the river behind you, because it's a long way back to your tower with your lane enemy(ies) and a jungler all on you while you're out of mana from pushing creep waves. This ties into the aggression thing.

Basically, the first phase of the game is farming. If you get kills - great. But focus on safely farming minions.

Also this is really good advice, attitude is everything:

Quote:
Good players are people who don't get mad when they don't do well, and who try to see what they did wrong to play better the next game. Honestly, it's that simple. Being good at this game has nothing to do with how many creeps you kill, how many champs you defeat, how much you know, or how many towers you bring down. How well you play this game depends mostly on how well you're able to deal with your losses and work with your team. All of that other stuff will come to you as you play, but being able to be smart enough not to get mad and keep moving forward is something you have to teach yourself.

retched

07-20-2012

I recommend finding a character you "click" with. It sounds like you've stuck with Ashe so I will list the most common item build order for her.

1) Start off with Boots of Speed and 3 health potions
2) Pick up 2 Dorans Blade when possible
a) If you are having trouble in lane consider a 3rd Dorans Blade or a Vampiric Scepter to help survive
b) Upgrade your boots to Berserker's Greaves before continuing on
3) Purchase Infinity Edge, you will most likely need to buy it in parts and build up to it rather than purchase it in one go (B.F. Sword, Pickaxe, and Cloak of Agility, +300 gold to finish).
4) Purchase Phantom Dancer, again, purchase in pieces. I recommend trying to get zeal first when building Phantom Dancer
5) Purchase Last Whisper
6) after those 3 items, you have options: Bloodthirster for damage/lifesteal, Guardian Angel for a revive every 5 minutes, even an additional Phantom Dancer if you please.
7) If your build is complete, purchase elixirs from the "Consumables" tab in the shop if you have gold to spare.

Terms and abbreviations that are common in games:
Minion/Creep - the little NPCs who run at each other and fight
CS - creep score, also refers to the ability to kill creep
Last Hitting - when getting the killing blow on a minion, you gain gold for the kill
AD - Attack Damage
AD Carry - champions (typically ranged) who primarily deal physical damage
AP - Ability Power
AP Carry - champions who primarily deal magic damage
Support - a champion who's job is to assist/protect champion(s) without CSing and purchases items that generate gold to make up for the lack of minion kills
Jungler - A champion who's job is to roam around the map and gain gold killing the neutral creep camps for gold and experience while assisting other champions in lanes
Gank/Ganking - the action of getting external help from your team to attack a lane with the primary goal of getting a kill; this job is usually associated with the Jungler, but not exclusively.
Push/Pushing - staying in the lane and killing the creep with the objective to take enemy tower and/or inhibitor
Ward/Warding - the green item in the "Consumables" tab in the shop; when spoken as an action, it means to place a ward in a certain area to give vision

Are there any terms you specifically do not know that are not covered in the tutorial? I listed some of the more common ones here.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-20-2012

I wouldn't say they don't get mad, but they don't stay mad.

Not getting upset at all is virtually impossible, and a silly thing to aim for; you should aim to control your emotions, not prevent them.

Guyde

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-20-2012

To echo what others have said, watch streams in your spare time. But be choosy! Quite a few of the pros don't teach anything except poor sportsmanship. I'd recommend watching Guardsman Bob, Wingsofdeathx, and Scarra. They are all excellent players, they explain what they are doing as they play, and they are respectful of the other players.

GXtreme

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyde05 View Post
To echo what others have said, watch streams in your spare time. But be choosy! Quite a few of the pros don't teach anything except poor sportsmanship. I'd recommend watching Guardsman Bob, Wingsofdeathx, and Scarra. They are all excellent players, they explain what they are doing as they play, and they are respectful of the other players.
Are these players on twitchtv/ youtube etc?

And thank you for the advice everyone, it is very much appreciated and more is always welcomed ^_^