How can I be a better player?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GXtreme

07-15-2012

Hello Everyone,

I have been playing LoL for a couple days now and I still cannot seem to get my foot in the door. I have tried multiple Champions but in the end I always return to bots and I feel that bots are more about pushing rather than strategy.

How can I be a better player in LoL and get out of that noob phase? I am pretty lost when it comes to this game so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well there is my plea and introduction lol Thanks in advance
-GXtreme-

-PS I have done the tutorials and watched the videos

TwistWrist

07-15-2012

I'd read more guides.

For example, you rushed Void Staff and had Sorc boots on Ziggs. That is a bad decision considering how percentage magic penetration and flat magic penetration works. It isn't effective.

Also, building straight AP isn't exactly the best way to build an AP Carry.

goiflin

07-15-2012

Play more games! There are people out there (like me) who have played hundreds of games who still don't understand everything. Experience is everything! And play against players, since (as you said) bot games don't really teach you much besides controls and what your champion can do.

If you want to learn how to build champions, there are many websites that have build guides, like solomid. If you want to learn more about strategy (positioning yourself in relation to the enemy, when and how to take objectives like the Dragon or Golem buffs), then I would personally suggest looking up a high level player's stream like theoddone, since they tend to comment on why they're doing things on stream. Otherwise, the best thing to do is play games against other players, follow their lead and take their criticism seriously (with a grain of salt if they're being rude). More games means more mistakes for you to learn to not make!

Ray The Vanguard

07-15-2012

Read guides, or experiment and made your own.

Play games, try to last hit minions as much as possible, map awareness (Wards can help a lot), teamwork, strategy.

And don't behave like a ******bag, it piss everyone off.

Good luck on your journey.

BStein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2012

i would recommend getting some friends together to play the game with you....now dont expect to just start out the game and be good at it. it takes time and dedication to be good at the game just like everything else. having some good friends to play and learn with will make your time playing more enjoyable. as you play more game you will get better you just have to keep at it

xmashimarox

07-15-2012

Hey GX, welcome to LoL, here is what I would advise:

1. start your lol career as a ranged character, such as ashe or annie, both of which are low IP buys. this will let you farm more safely and harass a bit easier. a bad early game can ruin your late game, so this is a nice way to get the ball rolling

2. focus on last hitting minions. creep kills = money. 15 creeps is the same gold as 1 player kill, so if you are harassing at the expense of minion kills you can fall behind in items and become an easy kill.

3. always carry a few potions and get in the habit of using them when you are > 300hp from full health.

4. pick a few champs and stick with them.

5. watch pro streamers to pickup the finer points. I like to watch games when I'm eating meals. when picking a game to watch, try and select one that is as low a lvl as possible so you can see how early game is played. laning phase is very important in LoL.

http://www.own3d.tv/game/League+of+Legends

Kyryne

07-15-2012

I'm not all that great either, but I'm getting better. There's a few things that I really like focusing on, and if I do well, it drastically improves my play.

The first is last hitting minions. The benefit of having really good CS (Creep Score/Minion Kills) is EXTREMELY high. If you're ahead of your enemy laners by just 20 CS, that's 400 extra gold that you have compared to them. Scale it higher, say you're 100 CS above them, you now have 2000 extra gold compared to theirs.

The second is warding. I can't tell you how many times I've played as Brand, warded the bushes in the middle, seen a gank coming, and run before they can kill me. It's incredible. Ward any time you have extra money. Believe me, you will LOVE the benefits of seeing people where you shouldn't.

Good Luck!

CounterSnipe

07-15-2012

Good players are people who don't get mad when they don't do well, and who try to see what they did wrong to play better the next game. Honestly, it's that simple. Being good at this game has nothing to do with how many creeps you kill, how many champs you defeat, how much you know, or how many towers you bring down. How well you play this game depends mostly on how well you're able to deal with your losses and work with your team. All of that other stuff will come to you as you play, but being able to be smart enough not to get mad and keep moving forward is something you have to teach yourself.

MoreMedz

07-15-2012

Do not be disheartened to lose when you are just starting. We all go through the same thing. Everyone learns at a different rate.

You should try to learn one thing at a time, so you don’t become overwhelmed.

The first thing you should try to learn is how not to die. This means the following:

• Do not get caught by the enemy’s attacks, try to watch your distance from them. Always stay out of their range, unless you are about to engage.

• Do not trade blows if you do not think you can win.

• Try to maintain map awareness at all times. If you cannot see all of their team members on the mini-map, you should watch out for ganks.

• Always have a plan of escape.

• In team fight, watch your position from the enemies, so you can stay clear of focus fire, unless your team is ready to commit to a fight.

The second thing is to learn to how to play your role and be useful to your team. This largely depends on your champion and what abilities you have. General tips are:

• Learn what skills to level up first and how to build your character.

• Get used to the role. E.g. if you are playing a tank, know when to initiate, how to disable the enemy carry and how to protect your own carry.

• Know how to use all your abilities, including passive. E.g. if you are playing Annie, know how to cycle your spells for stun timer, and when to drop your stun.

The third thing is to learn the basic mechanics of the games including: pinging, last hitting, warding and objectives (timer on the dragon and Baron).

Take your time and enjoy the process.

I hope the above helps.

bluemoonprncss

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
Good players are people who don't get mad when they don't do well, and who try to see what they did wrong to play better the next game. Honestly, it's that simple. Being good at this game has nothing to do with how many creeps you kill, how many champs you defeat, how much you know, or how many towers you bring down. How well you play this game depends mostly on how well you're able to deal with your losses and work with your team. All of that other stuff will come to you as you play, but being able to be smart enough not to get mad and keep moving forward is something you have to teach yourself.
I love at how this guy difines being good at this game. according to him, im a good player even though i have many many losses