Elo hell, myth? or fact?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

patthebaker

07-18-2012

Its a fact.
I personally think of it as a luck of the draw thing, most high elo people got there because they had friends to help them or they had good luck in the beginning because the system is designed in the beginning to give a rough estimate of a players first 10 games on where they are on the scale. winning the first 10 can easily jump you to 1500 elo no problem. the luck of the draw comes in with the players that you get as teammates and on the enemy team. Most people who come from high elo are people from dota, HoN, etc.... they know how to play the game and as such the theory is correct that with you on your team you should only have to worry about 4 other people but those people need to realize as well that this is a team game. LoL doesn't work in the way of if i get 2 more kills then my opponent they almost automatically lose. you can be doing the best you can at top lane going 6/0 but it wont matter at all if the score of the game is 7/12 because the other lanes are feeding. My best characters are support and I've been playing since kennen couple years back. playing ranked off and on i know what its like to feel helpless and the loss of elo coming because as support you see things unfold that there really isn't a lot you can do about. some days i wish soraka's ult had no CD

Treza

07-19-2012

i think it exists!!!!!! i have a win ratio of just 30% in ranked games yet a win ratio of 70% in normal games
i dont know what it is about ranked games but i ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have retarded players on my team.. i dont know why and i dont know how but my opinion is that it exists

TheMasterPrime

07-21-2012

LoL is a team game. Your personal skill level can't be quantified by wins/losses in solo queue.

I started with an ELO of 1123. Higher than I expected and not bad for someone that's just a casual player. Unfortunately I hit a stream of games that had someone leave, and now I'm in hell. It's rare for me to get into a game that doesn't have someone go afk or disconnect. last ranked game I played we had 2 members of our team leave and the opposition still had to work for our nexus.

The problem with solo q is not the skill level but the attitude of the players.

DeusAlkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

I love how people here claim to be able to carry themselves out of any game with random feeders/afk/quitters.

this only applies if the other team happens to be terrible and in same situation only not with any competent group of 5.

a lot of people also saying that they deserve to be in lower elo but this is complete BS the same applies to people with higher elo who only got there by being lucky early on and getting carried by people or friends to 1800+ and after that its smooth sailing with low chance of trolls/feeders/quitters/etc.

i used to be 1500 elo until one week a constant bad luck with non stop of what has been explained before including the first 5 games with :

2 people feeding 0-15 / 0-10 and instantly leaving the game, and another of similar result where 2 people feed hard and leave the game after.

how are you supposed to carry yourself from this? what champion can 1v5 vs competent super fed players? saying that just makes you guys look stupid seriously.

nothing can be done to prevent this, you can help by going to lanes and baby sitting that is true but not when people troll on purpose and go out of their way to make you loose.

whats worst its you get fully punished for it and other team gets rewarded for it.

Scoutacus

07-21-2012

I'm currently at 1016 elo. the way I see it, if you don't stop playing ranked you will eventually plummet or claw your way back to the elo you deserve I've only played 15 matches (I hit level 30 but never really cared to play ranked until some friends convinced me to), I stay positive but my team doesn't all the time and I'm okay with this. I will eventually get to the elo I deserve or learn enough from the games I've been playing to get even higher.
If you don't learn from the game you won't get anywhere, Try to keep it in mind.

Hexxon

07-21-2012

Test

Xulsigae

07-24-2012

This seems to be more like class warfare. Those at the top claim that those at the bottom are all 'noobs,' 'feeders,' 'baddies,' etc while they themselves worked very hard to get to the top. They ignore the factors that can make or break a game that is so based on teamwork, such as having skilled friends to play with. I say we have an ELO revolution. Let the oppressors and doubters at the top feel our wrath. Let the minions of ELO hell upon them and bring them to our level of suffering.

BluJay42

07-24-2012

That's the big thing I have noticed. I tell them to drop wards, but in my last ten+ games I have seen maybe two wards that I didn't place; I use wards every game. To put the cherry on top, they usually yell at me for not warding everything, even when I'm not playing a role at liberty to do so.

Svartalf

07-24-2012

ELO-hell is the absolutely truth. It isn't about 'good' players or 'bad' players. It's about people who are willing to invest thought and energy in their gameplay, and you see those qualities more frequently at the upper end of the ELO spectrum. The issue, I imagine, is that folks get a rewarding feeling from having a higher ELO, and that tends to incline folks towards commiting to a game rather than rage quitting because your 'ELO hell' teammates don't play the game the way you "know" it's supposed to be played.

In short, ELO hell could certainly exist for the reasons people commonly put forth - that the lower end of the ELO pool sucks at the game - but I think it's more likely that people create their own collective ELO hell because they believe in it. Why play the game 'for real' if 'know' that your teammates don't have their hearts in it, or if you 'know' that you're going to lose?

Parthonaxx

07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrful View Post
Everyone who I have ever met in person that claims to be in Elo hell fully deserves to be at the Elo they are at. Every. Single. One.

Its a myth propogated by poor players to make themselves look better. Think of it like this, if you say you are stuck in Elo hell because no one on your team buys wards.. That means your opponent has the same thing. You drop just a few critical wards, and it massively MASSIVELY helps our team win. Your allies have poor map awareness? Ping every time you see a gank coming, ping every time you see an objective open. Instead of saying 'Everyone else sucks' say 'how can I make sucky people win?' and you'll find yourself doing much, much better.
What about me? I spent my time playing probably 700 normal draft games to perfect every aspect of my game before I seriously started playing ranked. Do I deserve to get the fresh level 30 with 20 AP mid champs that doesn't call out his role and instalocks it as last pick, and tells people to screw off cause he is going mid?

Do I deserve the top lane that doesn't buy one ward, overextends constantly, feeds 8 kills and then blames the jungler for not ganking top when the enemy is humping the tower?

Also, my favorite role is support, do you know how hard it is to carry noobs on a support?

Look at my ranked stats when i solo Q.

Look at my ranked stats when I duo Q and play bot lane with a non retarded duo partner. 20% Vs. 100% win percentage. (Janna and Soraka games)

Elo hell feels real to me.