Elo hell, myth? or fact?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toxygen

07-17-2012

I really don't understand how you people claim to be stuck in 900s but good players, I've literally never dropped below 1400 ever since I got out of "ELO Hell"

Wegest

07-17-2012

Have yet to get out. Working on it.

PKMNTràinerRed

07-17-2012

Then you have to players at the 15 min mark who say a champ is fed at 3-2 or 4-2. If your trying to fight them 1v1 dont bother cause your even feeding them more.

OuityDrood

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galivet View Post
ELO hell is the level of ELO where whether you win or lose is determined less by these things:

• Your game mechanics (e.g. last hitting)
  • Your personal decision-making and positioning
  • Your skill with your champ

and more by these things:

• Your ability to convince two 14-year-olds to stop arguing and cooperate
  • Your ability to busy-body micromanage everyone else on your team by telling them what to do when
  • Your skill at boosting team morale

Basically ELO hell is when League of Legends stops being a typical video game and instead becomes a social challenge where victory hinges on your personality, charm, and ability to be persuasive and inspiring via chat and pings.

I mean it's great if you can land every single last hit and win your lane, but you'll still lose every time if you let your mid and jungler get into a flamewar and then one feeds and the other AFKs. On the other hand if you can convince them to chill out and play good then you can win the game even if you miss half your last hits and never drop a ward. Team cooperation is more powerful in LoL than individual gamer skill.

Diplomats, peace-makers, and guidance counsilors do better in LoL than hardcore gamers. Playing this game as an adult, the matches are more like babysitting someone else's kids than like playing a video game.
I wrote something very similar to this before windows destroyed it un an update. All I can say is that this man is right. I had a horrible game today as Nocturne. My game minimized thanks to skype on my first tank and I died at bot. Twice (we always got the kill though ) it wasn't looking good for me but for once the team didn't go berserk. There was no shouting (except from a 3/5 Vayne and who needs her?) so I sucked it up, my worst score in months, and together we pushed objectives. Realizing I was no longer relevant in controversial fighting (a humiliating 1/7) I began to push objectives hoping the team would follow. I sacraficed my own small heap of gold for about 7 wards, and I sacraficed myself in fight after fight knowing that for all the damage I was taking, it was that much less that my carries would have to endure. My point is that in this game, it's not as much about individual skill as it is about having a team who're willing to work with what they've got (a feeding Nocturne for instance) and work together without flipping out. Teams that spend their game in chat argueing loose and elope hell is a realm of frayed nerves and trolls.

Welcome2HookCity

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzlepeez View Post
Ok but howd u get in elo hell in the first place? Its cuz u fell to the elo u deserve
Sigh, **** like you should just gtfo. I got in elo hell when i was 1.5k elo... suddenly i met feeding ******* and lost 10 games in a row. That made me go to the elo I do not even want to think about going back. Yes, IT IS THE 1.3k elo where people only knows"NOOBS" "******" "REPORTED". I am trying my best to gtfo that elo, however i would always win my lane... suddenly you will hear "an ally has been slained" and that really gets on your ****ing nerves. So stfu about saying how'd you get into elo hell in the first ****ing place because LoL is a team game not a self game, if one lane feeds hard and decides to give up and feed more that is a loss game.

BrawnyD

07-18-2012

As someone who hovered around 1200 for many, many games (hundreds), I hit a losing streak and have been dropping elo like its hot. Once you hit the lower 1100s, then the 10xx, I can vouch that there is a considerable drop in overall team skill, coordination, and map awareness.

I've had games where I literally couldn't carry any harder, 12-0 Draven before the 10 minute mark, 10-0 noct at a similar point, and lost both games.

People begin to not notice constant pings, constantly push their lanes through autoattacking, and expect the jungler to be in their lane 24/7, even though it would result in you towerdiving the enemy opponent who is freefarming under his tower. You can forget about wards, or if they do ward, they're not looking at their minimap enough to notice a gank coming.

You can say oh well, you're amazing and have 4 bads, and they could have 5 bads, and sure, that may be true. But if your mid starts falling behind and decides to afk out, or your adc decides to rambo, the game could be almost out of reach by the 10 minute mark.

And if you have a duo q who can convince the rest of the team that the game is unwinnable because the enemy has 3 kills and "omg snowball imba now surrender pls" and both decide to afk if the vote fails, good luck.

50mm3r

07-18-2012

I was doing fine in the 1400s (okay so my high was 1392, but i duoed with my friend who was 1450 range consistently) but a nasty losing streak sent me down to the low 1200s where i am now and I cant seem to get out.

Seems like almost every game we have one lane that absolutely throws the game, giving tons of kills to very volatile champs (akali, darius, jax, vayne). Im gonna be totally honest when i say that i never lose lane in this elo (assuming i didnt get counterpicked, which im pretty good about not doing). Its usually other lanes that ruin it. My best role is AP carry and about half the time i get 7-10 kills in lane with only one or two deaths and double the enemy AP's CS but still end up losing because the bruiser has no problem jumping through my underfed team and slaughtering me cuz his score is even better.

Ive only been in this bracket for about 20 games but it still feels like i am "stuck" because I'm constantly pushed into support/jungler roles which imo are hard to carry as (probably because i dont play super strong junglers). When im 4/5th pick usually the top 3 take all the carry roles and then get counterpicked hard so i get to play support or jungle and wait. Wait long enough to watch the lanes blame me for not ganking enough even though their lane is pretty much a lost cause anyway because they got countered hard. When I am 1st/2nd pick i tend to avoid playing a carry role to avoid getting counterpicked myself, therefore picking a role that is harder to counter (jungle/support and sometimes ADC). Very rarely in this elo can i find a team willing to trade so i can counterpick the enemy. These almost always end in a win, but only come up like 1/8 of the time when i queue up.

Gogkiller

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

ELO hell.. FACT

try 650 ish elo... i freakin gave up... when only 2 ppl arent drooling on their keyboards and going "oi ther mate! lets do a 1v4!!!" or "turret dive at lvl 1 to give away first blood.. thats part of of strategy man!" ..

makes me sick.. i found a couple champs that can almost carry the whole team.. but u can only do what u can do.. im in a positive K/D ratio overall and i supported a lot when i duoed...

scream muthafkin elo HELL!!!

ohh forgot to mention the trollers.. enjoy! im out!

ima wait for a reset

OuityDrood

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogkiller View Post
ELO hell.. FACT

try 650 ish elo... i freakin gave up... when only 2 ppl arent drooling on their keyboards and going "oi ther mate! lets do a 1v4!!!" or "turret dive at lvl 1 to give away first blood.. thats part of of strategy man!" ..

makes me sick.. i found a couple champs that can almost carry the whole team.. but u can only do what u can do.. im in a positive K/D ratio overall and i supported a lot when i duoed...

scream muthafkin elo HELL!!!

ohh forgot to mention the trollers.. enjoy! im out!

ima wait for a reset
You'll probably wait for a looooong time.

Masakan

07-18-2012

I've been 30 losses negative for the past 4 months and haven't been able to pull myself out