Elo hell, myth? or fact?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blind Pick Hero

07-17-2012

Seems pretty real to me. My win rate is only 50/50 because it seems to come down to pure chance which team gets the feeders/afk'ers

Wegest

07-17-2012

This tripe about deserving to be in Elo hell is not valid. At all.

I started out earning my elo. I was newer, I played poorly, and down I went. I learned, got better, and now can't get out. I find myself repeating the same things every match. Everyone wards, don't overextend, don't go running into their jungle solo, don't hang out on a push with 3 people at their second mid turret after all 5 are up again.

These things are not hard, and most times I am told to shut my mouth, even though people still do it, still feed, still lose games.

This is elo hell.. the constant reminding your teammates to not suck/be stupid. This is what I want to get out of. You say it doesn't exist, I say you should leave your penthouse and check out the alleys where these games are played. Make a smurf, play poorly down to around 750 elo, then work your way out of it.

Me personally, I'm stuck in the 900s. Have been for 3 weeks. Up to 980s, down to 930s.. all day, every day. Every match is the same, someone trolls, someone feeds, someone leaves.

SnowMochi

07-17-2012

Why is it up to the support to drop all the wards, if you're farming minions well, but constantly getting ganked, there's nothing to stop you from dropping wards.

Wegest

07-17-2012

the support should be dropping the majority of the wards, not all. the damage should focus on building dmg, but help ward. the tank should focus on building tank, but help ward. jungle should buy a ward or two for mid/jungle, mid should ward. everyone wards.

Galivet

07-17-2012

ELO hell is the level of ELO where whether you win or lose is determined less by these things:

• Your game mechanics (e.g. last hitting)
  • Your personal decision-making and positioning
  • Your skill with your champ

and more by these things:

• Your ability to convince two 14-year-olds to stop arguing and cooperate
  • Your ability to busy-body micromanage everyone else on your team by telling them what to do when
  • Your skill at boosting team morale

Basically ELO hell is when League of Legends stops being a typical video game and instead becomes a social challenge where victory hinges on your personality, charm, and ability to be persuasive and inspiring via chat and pings.

I mean it's great if you can land every single last hit and win your lane, but you'll still lose every time if you let your mid and jungler get into a flamewar and then one feeds and the other AFKs. On the other hand if you can convince them to chill out and play good then you can win the game even if you miss half your last hits and never drop a ward. Team cooperation is more powerful in LoL than individual gamer skill.

Diplomats, peace-makers, and guidance counsilors do better in LoL than hardcore gamers. Playing this game as an adult, the matches are more like babysitting someone else's kids than like playing a video game.

Ømicron

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galivet View Post
Diplomats, peace-makers, and guidance counsilors do better in LoL than hardcore gamers. Playing this game as an adult, the matches are more like babysitting someone else's kids than like playing a video game.
If this was true, how did GodJJ get out of 1200 elo playing basically only 3 champs and without speaking English?

Clearly his skill were able to overcome the trolls that undoubtedly harassed him for picking an ad carry every game.

Galivet

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
If this was true, how did GodJJ get out of 1200 elo playing basically only 3 champs and without speaking English?

Clearly his skill were able to overcome the trolls that undoubtedly harassed him for picking an ad carry every game.
My point isn't that personal gamer skill gets you nowhere; my point is that it's not as powerful as leadership ability when it comes to climbing out of elo hell.

GodJJ would have had an easier time climbing past 1200 if he could have traded X amount of game mechanics for X amount of speaking english and being able to convince teenagers to calm down and play instead of throwing temper tantrums.

puddimaster42

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegest View Post
the support should be dropping the majority of the wards, not all. the damage should focus on building dmg, but help ward. the tank should focus on building tank, but help ward. jungle should buy a ward or two for mid/jungle, mid should ward. everyone wards.
i 100% agree. if you ARE having trouble in your lane and cant afford wards then the support can help (its what they do) but ideally everyone should be warding for themselves as the support obviously cannot make it top lane when they are babysitting bot lane

Miko

07-17-2012

Miko

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegest View Post
This tripe about deserving to be in Elo hell is not valid. At all.

I started out earning my elo. I was newer, I played poorly, and down I went. I learned, got better, and now can't get out. I find myself repeating the same things every match. Everyone wards, don't overextend, don't go running into their jungle solo, don't hang out on a push with 3 people at their second mid turret after all 5 are up again.

These things are not hard, and most times I am told to shut my mouth, even though people still do it, still feed, still lose games.

This is elo hell.. the constant reminding your teammates to not suck/be stupid. This is what I want to get out of. You say it doesn't exist, I say you should leave your penthouse and check out the alleys where these games are played. Make a smurf, play poorly down to around 750 elo, then work your way out of it.

Me personally, I'm stuck in the 900s. Have been for 3 weeks. Up to 980s, down to 930s.. all day, every day. Every match is the same, someone trolls, someone feeds, someone leaves.
Story of my LOL, been stuck in the 900s for over 8 months now.
I know for a fact that I play better, sometimes I try to tell people how to play properly sometimes I dont even bother talking anymore. For example, last 2 games: In one of them we had Brazilian who speak no English and had AP runes for Xin top (end up dying to Fiora 9 times under 15min) In another, Jayce who was suppose to be ad carry desides to go top, so now we have two top and support bot by himself.
Any time I go in normal getting 20kills and winning a game is not a problem (in fact, people play normal better than 900s ranked).
ps:
I dont understand why system matches player with over 1000games and player under 10 games on a same team. It just plain wrong to me and this is a reason why elo hell exist.