Elo hell, myth? or fact?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Abacadavar

07-16-2012

btw any low elo haters <1200 elo, msg me and we can 1v1 in any lane of your choice and watch as I rape your lane and I reveal to you why you keep losing your games.

tunmi

07-16-2012

You are right about 5 and 6.. i do see it happen on the opposing teams too.. When they do it i chuckle and take advantage of it.. but when my team does it, it drives me crazy lol..
The best part is when they blame the rest of the team for not being there when they initaited.. me: "sorry man, not everyone took teleport.. or if you looked on minimap you coulda seen that two people were not with the group yet"

izari

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrful View Post
Everyone who I have ever met in person that claims to be in Elo hell fully deserves to be at the Elo they are at. Every. Single. One.

Its a myth propogated by poor players to make themselves look better. Think of it like this, if you say you are stuck in Elo hell because no one on your team buys wards.. That means your opponent has the same thing. You drop just a few critical wards, and it massively MASSIVELY helps our team win. Your allies have poor map awareness? Ping every time you see a gank coming, ping every time you see an objective open. Instead of saying 'Everyone else sucks' say 'how can I make sucky people win?' and you'll find yourself doing much, much better.
I disagree.
When I play with friends, we always incur that phenomenon where we suck badly as a group and lose constantly.

After something like that happens, I go back to business as usual solo queuing and as expected I end up with ****ty teams because I have a few losses under my belt. But then it's a struggle of several weeks trying to pull myself back out of that elo rut.

I mean, eventually you can get out of it. But definitely; after a string of losses with friends, I end up with terrible trolls, afkers, leavers, etc. and have to go through another streak of bad losses before I'm able to start winning again.

ELO hell definitely exists.

Male Privilege

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modgey View Post
I have 730 elo. It is not the skill level that makes it HELL. It is the fact that most of the people in this rank or lower only know three words "Fuk, Faggt, and Noobs." Every single game consists of 1 to 3 teammates flaming the entire team for 20 mins while the 1 to 2 other players are usually afk.
I recently climbed from sub-700 elo to 1100 elo (climbing still).
It's not THAT bad. Don't exaggerate to make your point seem more valid.

Ev1LLe

07-16-2012

went from 690 ELO to 1358 where I have floated for a lil while.

In my experience, the 1100-1250 range was the hardest due to the discrepancy in player's skills.

You have players who have played about 10 ranked games matched with players who have played over 1000.

Now the players who only have 10 ranked games played aren't always bad, but most of the time they are bad and have no idea. I know, I was one of those players when I first started playing ranked.

puddimaster42

07-16-2012

Sorry slow to reply, but to those who think its a myth..... the things i intitially listed all happened in 1 game. im not exaggerating at all!! and yes i CAN fill any role (to the person who said if you cant fill any role then you deserve to be in elo hell). but when im 3rd pick and everyone is fine with their roles and last pick goes a jungle when u have one and doesnt communicate anything and wont switch? i could dodge i guess.....

and im pretty sure i dont deserve my elo as i can farm in the 80s by 10 min consistently, i know ward spots and am usually the only support to grab 2 wards and 1 sentry to counter their support so my jungle CAN gank bot, i know lane counters very well and the current meta on heroes, i understand what sacrifice is good for what (for example a support dieing for the carry to get a kill is always worth it or if someone is dragoning take a tower or baron etc)

i know the game quite well as ive been playing for 2 years and have around 2k wins in normals (i made sure i played plenty games before i decided to go ranked). and my current W/L is 15/22 so im not doing terrible. if i even had a good duo partner i dont doubt at all i could climb out of elo hell...... im not claiming to be pro im just claiming to be way ahead of the elo im in. if i rated myself i would say im at least 1300, but thats my opinion of course.

for those that still doubt me or are looking for duo que partners feel free to add me. name is "k4nklew33d" in game

TL;DR i can cover any position, can farm high numbers consistently, and believe if i had a competent team i would get out of this hell of an elo

puddimaster42

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmaster View Post
Now for the record if you are way out of place (like 600+ points) 1 person can win a game easily. I've been from about 1000-1400 over my career and played a few normals with some old friends. They were at the level where no one wards and junglers happen about half the time. I just took Mundo and played like it was a serious game. I warded, ganked, pinged and the game was like playing with custom game bots except they surrendered at 20.

Why did this work? 1 average and 4 bad will rolfstomp 5 bad anytime so long as the average player doesn't support. In fact jungle works best, I played 1 as mid and even with a penta it lasted 35 full minutes instead of 20. In jungle I made it so every lane trashed the other team. Btw I normally don't jungle in ranked.
this is a common misconception. this statement assumes that the other team is bad and that you are the best player in the match. you think there arent other players good in low elo? i know that statment is hilarious to itself but its too true. other good players get stuck in low elo too. but i agree jungle would be the best to get out of the bad elo

puddimaster42

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoWizard View Post
Man, down votes. Down votes everywhere.

Very little ranked experience here, yet a few things that I already know to be true.

-A: Yes, you deserve your Elo. I can almost guarantee that if you made a smurf, got up to 30 and had the same everything, you will end up around the same Elo you are at now.

-B: You have better chances at not getting a troll that the other team, thus every single game you have an advantage. Your team has 5 people. You are the only known variable, the only known non-troll. Thus you have 4 potential trolls on your team. The other team has 5 potential trolls on their team, because they have no known variable, IE they don't have you.

-C: You're not as good as you think you are. I know that when I'm doing well, I feel like I should be top of the NA servers. Then I play like **** the next game. And it reminds me I'm not as good as I think I am.
A: i dont smurf for the reason that i want my account to show how good i am. i take pride in how good or bad i am or how much i have improved. so no i dont smurf.

B: im not talking trolls, im talking bad players. and yes i get the statistics and it is a good point.

C: im not saying i never play bad games, im not saying im pro, im simply stating that i believe i AM better then the elo i'm in and have the knowledge to demonstrate it (and i believe the skill). if you care to play a ranked with me or even a normal with me i dont mind showing people that im not just another noob using the term "elo hell" as a crutch, but rather im saying elo hell is full of totally uncooperative players in a TEAM oriented game.

puddimaster42

07-16-2012

to those that say "if no one is warding then you should". although in theory yes this works but when you only have vision on baron and drag when you should have vision on baron, drag, their red, their blue, and maybe outside of each lane (because everyone should ward not just support) it really destroys a game. not to mention if i am buying all the wards it hinders my own gameplay as it slowly eats at my gold. those wards that we dont have on their red or blue cost ganks. the reason i say cost ganks is becuase if wards were in the enemy jungle you could gank as a team a lot more (especially if anyone is carry teleport) and potentially get kills.

TL;DR wards are very important beyond just dragon and baron. and i enjoy talking game strategy so please dont take this as me whining because i am looking for feedback

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2012

I main support, and I 'carried' myself up to 1600+, and I disagree that ELO Hell exists (at least around 1200). I started ranked pretty close to right after I hit 30, with 2 rune pages and only the cheap champs. I pretty much could only play 1 champ per role before I decide on focusing on support. (I still can only play 1 champ per role with any real decency except support.)

My initial games were up and down and left me at around 1200 ELO. My next 250 games or so were fairly similar, hitting a high of 1450 but for the most part cycling between 1150-1350. It was only recently (after I picked up Taric) that I had my big breakthrough, going something like 37-12 in the past two weeks to reach where I am now. Of course, people are now discovering that Taric's quite strong (the strongest support according to lolking statistics) but I decided to pick him up because he was never seen just a few weeks ago.

Here's a summary of the differences I've seen between the 1150-1350 range and higher:

Trolls, leavers, disconnects: these get a bit rarer as you go up, but they were never all that prevalent even at sub-1200. One key point is that these are more likely if someone/the team does poorly early in the game, and far, far more likely if rage occurs.

Team coordination/awareness: awareness is very patchy at low ratings; you can often get one person who is hyper-aware and constantly pinging/calling on other lanes and others who have zero awareness in a single team. This is a very dangerous source of rage, especially if someone gets ganked. As ELO rises, basic awareness rises so people tend
to be more even, but actual coordination is still very patchy.

Individual skill: overall, skill levels are closer at higher ELOs. At the very least, most people know how to avoid feeding, even if they lose an early fight or get ganked and have to lose lane. It's much rarer to have a single person truly carry the entire team. Games are more likely to last longer, making teamfights matter (and potentially, a single bad mistake losing the game).

After all that, here are my tips on getting out of 'ELO Hell':

1. Be patient. It takes time to get out; ELO rises slowly with many ups and downs unless you are truly way over-skilled and can hypercarry. You will get occasional games where you can't do anything, where every lane loses, where it's 4v5, etc. Even if you lose, accept it, deal with it, and move on. Complaining about ELO Hell is pointless, and whatever you do, try to avoid letting a bad game ruin more games.

2. Focus on early game. The lower the ELO, the more true this is: early game matters. Many, many games are over before 20 minutes. This is not only because the greater skill differentials lead to snowballs, but because many people are unable to handle being down and start whining, raging, trolling, leaving, all of which lead to reduced team performance, which leads to surrendering at 20. You can focus on early game either by being aggressive or defensive. You can pick strong bully champs (early dmg, cc), focus on fighting, invade enemy jungle, ward enemy jungle, camp lanes, etc. to be aggressive. You can pick safe champs (escapes, cc) with good late games, focus on farming and staying back, defend against invades, ward your own jungle, be ready to support other lanes, etc to be defensive.

3. Reduce rage. This is the most important point, but also the most difficult to do all the time. The first and most obvious action is not rage yourself, but that's certainly not all. If possible, you should try to avoid anyone else raging as well. This may involve playing peacekeeper between other team members, playing safe in lane to avoid deaths, repeatedly helping other lanes, unless specifically request not to, etc. Help weaker team members with actions, not words - gank for them if behind, with multiple people if too far behind with just one. If they just can't ward, ward for them. If they have zero awareness, countergank when you see the gank coming. Do not 'help' by telling them what to do, how to build (unless they ask) - it is very risky and likely to cause offense. Remember though that you can only do so much, and let it go if they/you lose anyways.