Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Elo hell, myth? or fact?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IvilKutyabolzov

07-25-2012

Quote:
Rawrful:
Everyone who I have ever met in person that claims to be in Elo hell fully deserves to be at the Elo they are at. Every. Single. One.

Its a myth propogated by poor players to make themselves look better. Think of it like this, if you say you are stuck in Elo hell because no one on your team buys wards.. That means your opponent has the same thing. You drop just a few critical wards, and it massively MASSIVELY helps our team win. Your allies have poor map awareness? Ping every time you see a gank coming, ping every time you see an objective open. Instead of saying 'Everyone else sucks' say 'how can I make sucky people win?' and you'll find yourself doing much, much better.

This pretty much sums it up. It's a myth. People don't want to think that they are average, but there has to be people who are average it is just how life works...It's like a Kmart employee saying "God **** the system is unfair, there's a plumber making more money than me. It is not even my fault, the system is screwing me." Well for one, your dumb as a brick and your intelligence level blows d. Second, there needs to be people with a low skill set in the world for others to succeed...it is just how the world goes.

FraggingBard

07-25-2012

Quote:
puddimaster42:
ill take blame for feeding slightly but once again, if im doing my part of trying to farm shouldnt my team be doing their part of warding and helping me live?

Warding is everyone's job. I know, I know, meta says support doesn't buy anything except tons of wards. But if you die because a ward is down and has been for a while, you don't blame the support. You buy a ward, and don't get ganked. You'll take a little longer to get to your top end items, but you'll die less so the other team will be fed less and you'll have a better chance of winning.

weeja

07-25-2012

The only people that say there is no elo hell are people who had an easy time getting out of it. I recently dropped 200 points in elo and found myself in the 1100's. If you check my match history with corki and graves I absolutely destroy people in this elo, but I'm still only at 1225 for a few reasons and I will list them.
1. This is a team game, and after the laning phase is over if your team does not work as a team you will most likely lose. Every game at this elo I have pleaded with my team and ping for them to come back because they will try to initiate a 4on5. I have dominated my lane only to lose in the late game because the other players on my team make a silly mistake(initiating 4on5 under enemy tower, dumb stuff)
2. The majority of times I have to singlehandedly win the game. Its true at this elo, you cant depend on anyone else. Whats funny is the majority of people are at my elo really dont have a grasp on what it takes to climb up, and even though they lost their lane they will blame it on someone else. If you cant crush your enemy during the laning phase, then you are probably at the elo you deserve, and if u expect to climb up in elo, you have to dominate the other team.
3. People are going to troll and theres nothing you can do about it. I recently had a game where one player said he played mundo, and that was the only player he had set up and could play for ranked so he instalocked mundo and said he was top but meant to be support. In the same game one player on my team picked Jungle hecarim. This guy went 0-5 in 10 minutes, and proceeded to tack on another 3-4 deaths before proclaiming "1st time hecarim" 'just wanted to try him out". There is nothing you can do when this happens but wait for next game.
4. The majority of the lol community think they are better then they actually are, and they need to tell you every mistake you make. There are people like this at every elo, but it just devestates the team morale and is pretty prevalent at the 1200 range because the majority of the people here think they are in elo hell and everyone except themselves are bad. Good players have no need to to tell their team how awful they are, theres a human behind the screen of that avatar, and he can read 0-4.
5. Bad understanding of the general principles of the game. Whether it be positioning, doing objectives, placing wards, or just picking a champ for the good of the team, most of the people at this elo deserve to be here, but there are alot of people here that are on the way down to the 700s and you have to play with them all the time.

PrincessIrelia

07-25-2012

Myth, you should be on a team with players who have similar skill level to you. If it were seriously hell, then you should be so much better than your opponents, that you can get fed every single game, and easily carry yourself out of your range.

Vizshus

07-25-2012

Quote:
tunmi:
After going on a few losing streaks I've fallen bellow 800 and i can honestly say elo hell DOES EXIST. It starts in the 900's and get much worst.

I'm not saying I'm "great" or "pro" or should be way up there.. honestly i think i should be around 1200 where people actually understand the game.

here are some issues i face on my teams..

1. Everyone in Elo Hell RAGES and I mean RAGE hardcore. I've had people rage when we were winning.. and bring the team down. You can't even reason with them. I try to keep things positive and not rage for team morale and to avoid being banned. Seriously though.. EVERY game you get ragers.. you should consider yourself lucky if you only have 1 rager because usually its 2 or 3 of them.

2. NO WARDS. omg no one wards and if they do.. they dont know where the hell to put it. For this reason I often support because I'll ward almost the whole map and show them how OP wards are..

3. Dragon? whats that? Baron? huh?
me: "Guys, the enemy jungler is top and we just double killed bot, lets get dragon".. i get ignored. In elo hell dragon might as well not exist. None of them see the benefit of an early dragon kill like say around lvl 6-8. IF they go for dragon, it was because i pinged the hell out of it and they are already lvl 15+

4. teammate:"Oh you pinged? I didn't see"
I PING SO MANY TIMES THAT THE GAME DOESNT LET ME PING ANYMORE... and they still dont fall back.. still dont go for drag/baron..

5. Greed.. omg gotta get that kill..
Then they end up dying and not getting the kill or getting their teammates killed.

6. Horrible initations.
me: "Ali, why did you initiate man, it was 3v5 and our adc was farming/pushing top"

Or i love this one.. One person gets caught by the whole enemy team.. so why does my team rush in ONE BY ONE. I mean seriously. If Ashe got caught out of position, don't run into 5 guys that just killed him.

6. We cant win.. its Over.
me: "Dude, they are up by 1 turret and 1 kill.. we are still in the game.. stop sitting in respawn

and the surrenders at 20-25 minutes.. jeeeez, atleast try to make it into late game before give up. Then i get outvoted 4 to 1 and they surrender

7. One out of every 3 to 4 games has someone go afk or disconnect/quit.

8. CS? KILL KILL KILL
CS = gold...
killing is good but you should be farming and going for kills when the opportunity arises.

9. Trolls...
The other day i said i would support so the last guy could ADC because no one ever wants to support.. and i have good map awareness and ward alot so i feel like its not a bad position even in elo hell. The team member said nothing until he picked Nunu instead of ADC.. and told me "you had the power to to be ADC too".. me: "yeah but if i knew you were gonna support/pick nunu, i would have been an ADC and not support Nid"

DISCLAIMER
I dont claim to be a great player, I don't go 30/2 every game and im really not good enough to carry by myself.. but i should be in an elo where people have map awareness, ward, understand the game and dont troll. Literally every game has ragers plus atleast one (if notmore) of the other issues i listed.
TBH.. normals are better games then elo hell.

Elo hell does not exist. I can play Akali in an 800 elo game against any other champion in the game and have a 90% w/l record. If you'd like I can do it on your account as proof.

Uiaso

07-25-2012

i had some friends that were stuck in 800 elo i carried them back to 1200
now they are all 1500 elo +
also 1500 elo is just as bad as any other elo
when i first started
i mostly always beat my oppenents in the game HARD when i play but in normals junglers are worse and dont gank as much so i got away with overextending and towerdiving
but when i first ranked i was stuck in the 1300's b/c i never warded

Vizshus

07-25-2012

Quote:
Uiaso:
i had some friends that were stuck in 800 elo i carried them back to 1200
now they are all 1500 elo +
also 1500 elo is just as bad as any other elo

No. It's worse. At 1500 when top lane snowballs because your 0/7 akali is feeding, they know how to capitalize on it and force objectives. Then they take dragon and you can't contest it because your feeder akali refuses to come down, and their entire team reacts forcing a 5v4 that you have to concede to prevent feeding them even more. After dragon akali dies an eighth time and rages 'you suck' at the bot lane ADC whose 4/0/1. Then your mid dies for the fourth time, further enhancing their snowball.

I just played this game. At this elo when their team gets an advantage they know they have an advantage and they know what to do with it. The reason it's so easy to crush low elo games is they don't KNOW what to do, they don't know when to back, giving you free kills. They don't know when they can dragon, thereby donating the dragon to you, same with baron.

They don't know when your cd's are coming up on flash/ignite that will allow you to burst them to death from 60% despite the fact that you're at 40%.

Elo hell is a non-factor. I started out at 0-11 due to duo queueing with a terrible friend when I first started to play ranked dropping me to sub 900 elo. I've maintained a fairly easy 2-1 W/L record up to 1600 where it's gone down to 5-3. Still climbing.

Selling Freelo from Low Elo!

Uiaso

07-25-2012

Quote:
Darkonx:
No. It's worse. At 1500 when top lane snowballs because your 0/7 akali is feeding, they know how to capitalize on it and force objectives. Then they take dragon and you can't contest it because your feeder akali refuses to come down, and their entire team reacts forcing a 5v4 that you have to concede to prevent feeding them even more. After dragon akali dies an eighth time and rages 'you suck' at the bot lane ADC whose 4/0/1. Then your mid dies for the fourth time, further enhancing their snowball.

I just played this game. At this elo when their team gets an advantage they know they have an advantage and they know what to do with it. The reason it's so easy to crush low elo games is they don't KNOW what to do, they don't know when to back, giving you free kills. They don't know when they can dragon, thereby donating the dragon to you, same with baron.

They don't know when your cd's are coming up on flash/ignite that will allow you to burst them to death from 60% despite the fact that you're at 40%.

Elo hell is a non-factor. I started out at 0-11 due to duo queueing with a terrible friend when I first started to play ranked dropping me to sub 900 elo. I've maintained a fairly easy 2-1 W/L record up to 1600 where it's gone down to 5-3. Still climbing.

Selling Freelo from Low Elo!

yes i know right after 1400 elo people's skill level increase exponentially
i was 1700 elo at but i recently dropped back down to 1500's and when i drop that much i ussually just take a long break from ranked

Vizshus

07-25-2012

People become good at the game and know when/how to capitalize on their snowball after 1400.

The Fallen Soja

07-26-2012

In my opinion it does exist. And Elo Hell isn't usually somebody feeding and going 0/3 because sometimes that happens to even the best players. Elo Hell are those people that AFK, troll, and do whatever else they can to feed to the point where even if you do go 10/0 sometimes it is still impossible to carry these people just because everybody doesn't know how to play the game fully but alot of us Elo Hell players do not but there is a clear difference between the good and the bad. Also to the people that think that the other teams are just as bad, they are not, I have been on both sides of the story. Most of the time the games go one sided and then there are those every once in a while games that it is actually a fair game but when you sometimes lose those it makes most Elo Hell players lose hope. And the reason why most people get to Elo Hell is probably because they start out in it at around 1200 Elo which I consider still part of Elo Hell.