[Guide] Evelynn the widowmaker - Advanced guide for Experts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight Krawler

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggeus View Post
Thanks for the huge and really interesting guide.
But, as many said, and even I have Evelynn as one of the characters I love the most and play the most, she'll little by little profit from nerfs of over classes. I only play her when I'm teaming with friends just for fun.

Because, right now, Evelynn has too much downsides for her extremely high (if not, the greatest of the game) DPS. Just because she lacks many things. She can't initiate a fight, she's the most squishy melee DPS ever, and she can't do a thing against some lockers like teemo. If only she has, instead of ravage, a defense or escape button... Don't tell me her invisibility is an espace button, I can't agree on that. Combined with flash, right, it's like a shaco indeed. If she's attacked and slowed, say your prayers.

Hell, I've even been WALKED ON litterally by a Tryn and amumu. They just went on me with autoattack when they were level 3. LEVEL FREAKIN 3. And you can't escape if they're pro, believe me. I've had this a lot. Or only if you exchange smite or ignite with flash. (Maybe, the only spell that can save Evelynn ever)

I will maybe try a massive health rune on her, but I'm not even sure it'll work. Too bad, I love Evelynn, even bought the skin. Perhaps she'll shine a lil' more on the next (nerf) patch. :X
yes the auto attack is a bit ridic, but there are ways to exploit that, there are ways to exploit anything. you just have to be patient, and find an opening. That is what evelyn is all about.

Fuertisimo

12-02-2009

Can't say I'm liking the new Mejais at all. Wondering what I'm going to replace it with in my build. Maybe just go strait Lich Bane? The lack of mana regen on kill is going to be a serious pain in the ass.

Most of the problems you encounter with Eve can be overcome, you just need to play intelligently. I'm not sure how you're having trouble with heroes like trynd, you shouldnt be putting yourself in a situation where he can just autoattack you to death.

Teemo is kind of an interesting challenge but I generally love seeing a teemo on the other team, anything thats squishy is a target to me. Its his mushrooms that murder me, Eve's hps are so low that I generally die at least once or twice after getting a kill and accidentally walking over a mushroom network.

Fuertisimo

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Krawler View Post
yes the auto attack is a bit ridic, but there are ways to exploit that, there are ways to exploit anything. you just have to be patient, and find an opening. That is what evelyn is all about.
This is really what Evelynn is all about, and its hard to explain to people who don't understand what you're saying, but as a low HP but incredible burst damage hero, your job isnt to play hyper aggressive and try to gank and take out everything in sight. Mainly your job is to farm, bide your time and wait for an opportunity to strike.

I would call Evelynn one of the best counter-ganking heroes in the game as well, I can't even explain how many times the other team shows up in a lane for a gank, and as things are progressing I pop up and pick off the trail guy, then follow that up by finishing off the lead chasers.

Being unpredictable is important as an Evelynn, show up where you aren't supposed to be and you'll cause problems.

Gmerc

12-02-2009

Mr. Expert: Isnt there a hard 40% cap on cooldown reduction?

Hewn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2009

I would consider myself a rather decent player. Have only been playing LoL for a month or so, on and off and am level 22.

Have had a liking for Tank Singe, Sakora, Yi and Taric as they can generally be game changing.

Just want to say thanks for the guide. Played eve twice, with 37/6/9 as the result of my second game. Great pointers.

http://i45.tinypic.com/mht0m0.jpg

mamboparadise

12-02-2009

Is there a reason to get the soulstealer now that it no longer mana steals?

What would you replace this with and where would u put it in your build order?

And tx for the great guide, I've been having fun playing Evel after this.

Aurega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

12-02-2009

I liked the guide, which is slightly different from my usual build (I go ravage/stun for more coordinated mid-game ganks and rush sheen before stacking AP). Not saying that your build don't have potential (I tried it and loved it), but it seemed to me that there was a bug with sheen making it activate on every hate-strike for me, so I kept hitting for double damage.

One question that I have (probably already brought up): Why no flash? I can understand (barely) why you don't pick flash, but you didn't even mention it! A free blink dagger with long cd is just too amazing to ignore imo (Yes, I'm a dota player). There was a reason why blink dagger got nerfed.

Cryxx

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurega View Post
I liked the guide, which is slightly different from my usual build (I go ravage/stun for more coordinated mid-game ganks and rush sheen before stacking AP). Not saying that your build don't have potential (I tried it and loved it), but it seemed to me that there was a bug with sheen making it activate on every hate-strike for me, so I kept hitting for double damage.

One question that I have (probably already brought up): Why no flash? I can understand (barely) why you don't pick flash, but you didn't even mention it! A free blink dagger with long cd is just too amazing to ignore imo (Yes, I'm a dota player). There was a reason why blink dagger got nerfed.
Flash? Maybe the old one, but the truth is. commit and kill. It shocks folks when you don't run. Why run? What are you going to gain by attempting to run off. Quite Possibly death as the chaser typically has the advantage. What to you gain if you stick with it and spam hate spike, juke into jungle, and and back, sneak in spin move to ravage from behind again? 25% of their max health. Yep, a heal. I've assisted and damaged 'most' of the enemy team many times, and you just keep healing as they go down. It also inspires your team.

I use exhaust and ignite. I often come across enemies with like 1 bar of health stealthed, I just ignite them from stealth, watch them die and keep on going, and just gained 10 AP again from it being on CD. I like Exhaust's utility, Warwick jumps you? exhaust him. Or as I did last night, let him open on me. Exhaust, stealth, stun, and give him Death, he can try and run.

I typically smash with eve. Usually like 1 in 7-8 I just get countered or I'm having a bad day/start. Bad means less than 10 kills. I accept it, learn from it and continue on.

Last night I had about 2500 HP with eve, which I thought was pretty respectable. It's as much as I get on shaco, and I typically stand toe to toe with anyone due to his two shiv poisons. You also need to learn your burst potention, and you can look at target's. A quick team ask "who's ult is on cd?" there's your target. If not target just general harassment.

I skipped soulstealer though, and I wish I didn't. you drop 33% of charges, but you can't drop below 1. If your smart, I doubt your going to die too many times to not make it effective and it's so cheap. I went right for Rod of Ages, into Lichebane, then Rylia's. At that point it was 30+ minutes into the game I prob had another 4k-6k on me, but I never got back to the base as I was ganking them in their base for the nexus push. I felt weaker in mid game without soulstealer. I'd have been fine with it. I had a few godlike streaks. I noticed some mana problems after burning down 3-5 heroes, but hey. There needs to be a limit somewhere.

Honestly, I would get the new soulstealer. I didn't get it last night, and I regretted it. I did great in ganking the daylights out of the other team but I lacked some firepower for a while. Yes you don't get mana back but that new 'regen' item is so perfect for her. You get the sorc boots for -15 Magic pen, and that for another 20. Which means you have to spend LESS mana to do more hate spike damage. Plus it grants minus cd.

Oh and the new towers are so weak that you can pop your ult at like 10 and smash one down in 15s.
Even if they are shutting me down as eve, but the team is fairly powerful, I volunteer to be bait. If I die, and we take down 3-4 of them? Good trade off if we push and continue to gain the edge. It's teamwork, not the 'KDR' stats. I typically pick eve when I see like 2+ carry's on a team or folks like Rammus that need gear and aren't going to be as effective without it. So I choose her if the comp fits just make it rough for the enemy all game long. I don't wait until 10 to gank. Make the opportunity.

Cleo

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryxx View Post
Flash? Maybe the old one, but the truth is. commit and kill. It shocks folks when you don't run. Why run? What are you going to gain by attempting to run off. Quite Possibly death as the chaser typically has the advantage. What to you gain if you stick with it and spam hate spike, juke into jungle, and and back, sneak in spin move to ravage from behind again? 25% of their max health. Yep, a heal. I've assisted and damaged 'most' of the enemy team many times, and you just keep healing as they go down. It also inspires your team.

I use exhaust and ignite. I often come across enemies with like 1 bar of health stealthed, I just ignite them from stealth, watch them die and keep on going, and just gained 10 AP again from it being on CD. I like Exhaust's utility, Warwick jumps you? exhaust him. Or as I did last night, let him open on me. Exhaust, stealth, stun, and give him Death, he can try and run.

I typically smash with eve. Usually like 1 in 7-8 I just get countered or I'm having a bad day/start. Bad means less than 10 kills. I accept it, learn from it and continue on.

Last night I had about 2500 HP with eve, which I thought was pretty respectable. It's as much as I get on shaco, and I typically stand toe to toe with anyone due to his two shiv poisons. You also need to learn your burst potention, and you can look at target's. A quick team ask "who's ult is on cd?" there's your target. If not target just general harassment.

I skipped soulstealer though, and I wish I didn't. you drop 33% of charges, but you can't drop below 1. If your smart, I doubt your going to die too many times to not make it effective and it's so cheap. I went right for Rod of Ages, into Lichebane, then Rylia's. At that point it was 30+ minutes into the game I prob had another 4k-6k on me, but I never got back to the base as I was ganking them in their base for the nexus push. I felt weaker in mid game without soulstealer. I'd have been fine with it. I had a few godlike streaks. I noticed some mana problems after burning down 3-5 heroes, but hey. There needs to be a limit somewhere.

Honestly, I would get the new soulstealer. I didn't get it last night, and I regretted it. I did great in ganking the daylights out of the other team but I lacked some firepower for a while. Yes you don't get mana back but that new 'regen' item is so perfect for her. You get the sorc boots for -15 Magic pen, and that for another 20. Which means you have to spend LESS mana to do more hate spike damage. Plus it grants minus cd.

Oh and the new towers are so weak that you can pop your ult at like 10 and smash one down in 15s.
Even if they are shutting me down as eve, but the team is fairly powerful, I volunteer to be bait. If I die, and we take down 3-4 of them? Good trade off if we push and continue to gain the edge. It's teamwork, not the 'KDR' stats. I typically pick eve when I see like 2+ carry's on a team or folks like Rammus that need gear and aren't going to be as effective without it. So I choose her if the comp fits just make it rough for the enemy all game long. I don't wait until 10 to gank. Make the opportunity.
this

last night i was trying out the new soulstealer, and honestly it didn't sting too bad. damage output was slightly low for a bit, but it definitely makes up for it, and then some, if you can get kills off.

to help with the slight lower in ap base i just pick up the soulstealer then grab a blasting wand before getting my sheen.

Fuertisimo

12-03-2009

I've replaced soulstealer in my build with deathfire grasp. This item doesn't give the same AP you would get from soulstealer in the long run but the active ability is pretty incredible either for opening or for chasing, and the extra mana regen offsets the nonfull soulstealer. I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts with replacing soulstealer with Deathfire Grasp, I've found it to be perhaps even better because of the active ability.