[Guide] Evelynn the widowmaker - Advanced guide for Experts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Druzil

11-17-2009

I'm still fairly new to the game, but I've been trying out a few interesting builds - this looks extremely interesting, well thought out, and well written, also.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post this - I'll be testing this out soon.

CyberMonkey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2009

Amazing guide!! Makes you feel like even horrible champions can be devastating in high ELO games (which is probably true). Just a suggestion, but maybe you should do a video with commentary instead of an audio guide. That would be wicked awesome!

Glorious Bird

11-19-2009

Can only hope MrCygnus was "testing" his Eve build when he got demolished in Quick Play the other day and proceeded to blame it on allies.

P.S. Your replay commentary still sucks. :/

Sylph

11-20-2009

Very well thought-of guide! One question though: if you think Nashor's Tooth is worth it mainly due to its cooldown reductions, wouldn't it be more convenient to use Frozen Heart instead? It wouldn't give mana regen, but pure mana in return; it wouldn't give attack speed, but armor so Evelynn wouldn't necessarily be that easy to shut down; and while it wouldn't provide her with ability power, it would decrease the attack speed of nearby enemies, thus secretly helping the team in a battle even if Evelynn remained in stealth.

Cryxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Very well thought-of guide! One question though: if you think Nashor's Tooth is worth it mainly due to its cooldown reductions, wouldn't it be more convenient to use Frozen Heart instead? It wouldn't give mana regen, but pure mana in return; it wouldn't give attack speed, but armor so Evelynn wouldn't necessarily be that easy to shut down; and while it wouldn't provide her with ability power, it would decrease the attack speed of nearby enemies, thus secretly helping the team in a battle even if Evelynn remained in stealth.

Stealth champions with debuff aura's = early warning radar.

Just don't use them. The goal of Evelynn is to hit fast hard, kill and leave. This is why I don't use physical build on her. It's not a nuke, it takes 2-3x as long to kill someone and you end up with a lot more close calls.

You don't want to stand toe to toe, after others get nuked from 1.5-2k health to zero in 3s they focus you from mid game on. Also the price tag on your head now from the killing streaks.

if I nuke someone and after the stun my cd's are still not up and I know they have friends or things they can nuke me back with. I turn tail and get out of there, hop through some brush, hit stealth spin back around and go back to finish it off, even at like 1-2 bars of health, why? You get 25% of THEIR max health on the kill. Gank a 1/4 health tank at 18 and you'll near full heal, it's awesome. Just watch how much damage you do in a burst, know that know, click on the enemy, see how much resistance they may have if any.

Another trick is if your stealth is off CD in a battle hit it, you won't stealth until your out of combat for 1.5s. What happens to some folks when they are at lower health they panic, they stop attacking and move away. if you quickly stop. you stealth, then just slam them again for a stun and a finish.

An aura will just tell them your close by if they don't spot stealth, they'll drop aoe on you, call for help, etc. Leave the aura/tank items to a tank/support

Fuertisimo

11-21-2009

I used this strategy effectively last night, winning 2 out of 3 games and the third should have been a win but we managed to botch a few mid game team fights, we were well ahead to that point.

The biggest challenge to overcome is the early game lack of effectiveness, I find it difficult to farm effectively in lane early on even with pain spike because of the harass of the enemy heroes. Best case scenario is to lane with someone who would otherwise be an effective solo or someone who can whittle away at enemy health like Teemo. If you can get a few kills within the first 10 minutes you're well on your way.

You don't really become a holy terror until deep into your item build however, once you get to zhonya's you just massacre anything in sight, its not even close to fair.

The one hero who can really mess you up is Morgana, she was in the game I lost and she was a big reason why I didn't completely take the game over. We still should have won but if it weren't for her it wouldn't have mattered what the other team did.

Nalio

11-21-2009

I've been using this guide as an outline for about a week now. I generally go 15-25/0-3/x every single game. Last night I even went 29/5/10, but sadly it was a loss. Why? Because even though Evelynn is a gank goddess, she's not an amazing pusher and can't solo at all. You need to be with you're team late game to get successful ganks off and help push, but when your team is doing the same thing as you and not pushing, it leads to turtling games and you're basically forced into uselessness. So the moral of the story is, evelynn cannot win a game by herself, remember that.

Also, I have a large complaint about invisible pots. I find it highly frustrating that a champions viability can be COMPLETELY taken away with a 400 gold one time buy. (Because they'll never die if they can see you beforehand.) I suggest something like, a level 30 quintessence rune for 2000 influence points that gives you perfect stealth or something to that effect. I'm not suggesting take away the pots, but that the stealther has to pay an even larger debt in order to REMAIN in stealth, also be Level 30. Think about it, using a quintessence slot for that would be hurting the stealthers damage output, thus paying off an even debt to remain in stealth.

Anyway yeah. I've had countless games where I go 10/0 literally after I get my mejai's within 25 minutes, and I can start turret diving a bit and it forces them to surrender every single time. It's so fun. XD Good guide.

Alleria86

11-21-2009

Hello,

I myself play Evelynn a lot, she's my favourite hero. I'm really surprised to see how bad people can play her most of times... I don't find her realy hard to play if you use your brain. But it must be too hard for a lot of people.

Anyway, that's a good guide, and I agree with most of your points.

The only things I didn't agree with is the way you build your skill, and your items (even if, in the end, it's quite more or less the same)

1) Hate Spike
2) Shadow Walk
3) Hate Spike
4) Ravage -> untill here, I totally agree. Hate spike is a must have at lvl1 (for cs, and sometimes 1st blood); shadow walk is a must have as soon as lvl 2 (as well as for saving your ass, or for an early kill); hate spike again at lvl 3 because it doubles the damage without increasing the mana cost a lot; and finally ravage
5) Hate Spike -> here, I prefer to take ravage again. Hate spike becomes more and more manaburning for yourself, without increasing the damage that much, whereas ravage gains a lot of damage, some nice -MR and -AR, without increasing a lot the mana you have to spend
6) Malice and Spite
7) Hate Spike -> ravage again
8) Ravage -> ravage again
9) Hate Spike -> here I often take hate spike lvl 3, because I think at this point it worthes the price, whereas Ravage lvl 5 is not all the time necessary; but it depends on how well the game is going
10) Ravage -> ravage lvl 5
11) Malice and Spite
12) Ravage -> hate spike lvl 4
13) Ravage -> shadow walk, because hate spike lvl 5 really is not a great improvement, and you can 10 more seconds to hang around (which can be useful sometimes), and a stun that last a bit more longer. After, taking hate spike or shadow walk doesn't really matter and depends on how the game is going, if I need more concealment or more damage ouput
14) Shadow Walk
15) Shadow Walk
16) Malice and Spite
17) Shadow Walk
18) Shadow Walk

So in a nuthsell, my build is pretty much the same as yours, but I prefer to stack up ravage, that really ravages enemy's hero.
But I have to agree that hate spike is really underestimated, and really butt raping.

Now, for the items

1 Philosopher's stone (from Regrowth Pentant) -> totally agree on this; you often need the regrowth pendant in early game because you are melee and weak; then you really need mana regen
2 Sorcerer's Shoes -> I really prefer the boots with +3 speed, because we will get enough spell power to kill everyone anyway, but often we will need to run faster; I feel like running faster grants a more damage output than having sorcerer's shoes, because you can chase faster.
3 Mejai's Soulstealer -> totally agree en this, it gives an amazing SP, it's amazingly cheap, and it replenishes your mana on every kill
4 Sheen -> agree again
4 Lich Bane (from Sheen) -> no problem here, self explanatory. In fact, once you have Lich Bane, your item build is pretty much over: you can basically rape anyone at this stage of the game.
5 Fiendish Codex or Stinger (whichever you can pick up first but Codex would be best)
5 **sell Philosopher's stone** Nashor's Tooth (from Fiendish codex) -> I don't go for Nashor's tooth, and go directly for Rylai's Sceptre. But I'll try it, to see if it's really good
6 Rylai's Sceptre -> totally agree, you need more HP than spell power at this stage, but you will get HP, SP, and a slow! What else?
7 Zhonya's Ring -> self explanatory, rapes ass

-> Here, as I don't take the Nashor's Tooth, I buy Warmog's armor. After Lich Bane, you don't need anymore SP to kill everyone, but you need some other improvements, as a slow and HP, that's why Rylai's is ver good. The same goes after Zhonya's: you have so much spell power (512 at this stage), that you can pretty much kill everyone with stun, ravage, and a bit spam of Hate spike. So basically, what I feel like needing is HP, and warmog is a LOT of HP, that will help you to survive, even if you are focused in a gang.

Anyway, very good guide, but I'd like you to delete it, otherwise people will understand that Eve is good, and I like surprising people by raping their ass when they are not aware that this hero is actually good.

Lubanja

11-21-2009

just wondering why no one suggested the +5 spd while out of combat boots? These are actually really incredible on eve because it allows her to traverse the map at insane speeds for the unsuspecting gank. also you can catch up to a low hp ashe or anything really. you're instantly and unquestionably the fastest thing on the battlefield.

Jace belerenn

11-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubanja View Post
just wondering why no one suggested the +5 spd while out of combat boots? These are actually really incredible on eve because it allows her to traverse the map at insane speeds for the unsuspecting gank. also you can catch up to a low hp ashe or anything really. you're instantly and unquestionably the fastest thing on the battlefield.
I have to agree with you the 5 spd boots plus lich and her ult make eve move incerdibly fast allowing you to suprise some poor solo laner heading back to heal or get to your team faster if they are in trouble