Help me understand the new Orianna

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1c5019c283e69d4080426

07-13-2012

I will readily admit I am biased strongly against this character , but I do really want to learn her, so please any Orianna players tell me:

-Is she worth learning to play (honestly, don't beat around the bush).

-Some beginner tips, builds, etc.

Nissl

07-13-2012

I learned her and she's extremely versatile. During the laning phase your ability to react to other champions movements makes or breaks your ability to lane against them, cs is easily gained due to her damage bonus from her passive. As a powerful midgame ap mage she can turn the tide of a teamfight when you properly use her moves. Late game she's more of a mage/support rather than the main nuke of your team.

Orianna has the highest skillcap in the game and if you want to learn a new style of fighting(concentrating on ball and champion sprite) then you should definitely go for it.

As for tips I assume you mean what skills to level first, well after the latest patch the order of skills should go r>w>q>e and for items I personally get CD boots, ROA, Rylais, Deathcap, Lichbane, and last item is situational due to heavy late game.

Getting used to using both orianna and the ball may take a while so I suggest going at least 5 bot games or so until you're familiar with using the ball and her simultaneously. Remember that the ball is her main source of damage output. Avoid close encounters with bruisers/tanks. She can avoid a fair number of ganks with her speed buff/slow debuff of her w. Her q is mainly used to move the ball around due to it's 1.8 second CD with 40% CDR. The e is a great shield late game which makes her that late game support rather than nuke. Remember you can protect your tank/bruiser/engaging teamate in a teamfight and then the ball stays with them so you can follow up with w or r to strengthen the engagement. As for her ultimate, it really requires some practice on positioning to get it down. Just remember that it flips the enemies over or to the ball depending on where they are. It has a decent AOE so it's possible to hit a whole team with it.

My IGN is Luckysena so if you have any questions or arguments against what I said just message me. Good luck.

LåzySushi

07-13-2012

The changes to orianna increased her offensive powers by alot. Now her balls fly more often around the battle field and the ability to quicker chain abilities is awesome. Before the patch you sometimes loosed kills during chases because of the delay.

But anyway, Orianna is a very good carry giving her team not just Dmg, but also utility and sustain in battle. Her focus is spamming and keeping you're distance in fights, quite basic. The thing is orianna does both very good and i find myself often holding a lane completely alone against the whole enemy team. When you order the ball to a certain place, you can back away a bit during the flight and then directly chain with R and W.

During early phase of the game, maxing Command: Attack is most important. Having it on short cooldown makes position the balls alot easier and faster. Alltough if u feel that is not needed you can rather max W to max you're burst.

Edit:

For items i personally always build's athen's unholy grail first. it both sustain your mana, gives dmg(now 90 ap after patch) and also MR. all that is needed to win early lane. since orianna commands her ball ea 2 sec or even more often, you need good mana sustain.(it also ad Cdr too)

Nissl

07-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LzySushi View Post
For items i personally always build's athen's unholy grail first. it both sustain your mana, gives dmg(now 90 ap after patch) and also MR. all that is needed to win early lane. since orianna commands her ball ea 2 sec or even more often, you need good mana sustain.(it also ad Cdr too)
I'd like to argue your choice in items. If you use your abilties properly and sparingly, you won't need the extra mana regen from the grail once you get blue at lv 6. ROA provides health and mana and even more AP than the grail does. The only thing it doesn't offer is the MR which is made up by the HP and the passive which regenerates health and mana after you level up by 250.

I personally have mana glyphs so I have an extra 101 mana, but that's only enough for 2 extra q's, which personally I don't level first after the nerf on it's damage from the last patch.

Koechophe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysena View Post
I'd like to argue your choice in items. If you use your abilties properly and sparingly, you won't need the extra mana regen from the grail once you get blue at lv 6. ROA provides health and mana and even more AP than the grail does. The only thing it doesn't offer is the MR which is made up by the HP and the passive which regenerates health and mana after you level up by 250.
It ALSO doesn't offer her any mana regen, so you can use up the pool and then be done.
In addition, it doesn't give cdr, like the athenes.

I personally have been absolutely WRECKING with new orianna. I was mad at first, but then I tried it and have been having fun. My approach is.........different, and people may yell at me or call me a troll, but the approach is found here, in this guide I've created. It's centered around new orianna, and I've been doing amazing with it. Look at my recent match history if you don't believe it.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...a-guide-229255

Don't disregard it without giving it a shot.

Magíc Man

07-16-2012

I'm doing well starting with boots, going into chalice and cooldown boots, followed by rabadons. Then I finish grail. Never run out of mana and have attack command on less than 3 second cooldown. This also allows me to max w first, which while not the traditional way to play ori gets me the most damage.

Koechophe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InF165 View Post
I'm doing well starting with boots, going into chalice and cooldown boots, followed by rabadons. Then I finish grail. Never run out of mana and have attack command on less than 3 second cooldown. This also allows me to max w first, which while not the traditional way to play ori gets me the most damage.
I disagree, finishing the athene's takes too long. An early NLR is as much damage as athenes, so if you can avoid getting athenes, you'll do more damage.

Mystical Mittens

08-08-2012

Orianna hits like a truck if played correctly. Though she takes a while to learn how to play WELL.

Archadion

08-12-2012

She's very good if you learn how to play her. It takes some practice positioning the ball, but once you've got used to it then she's **** good and **** satisfying.

The rest of the comments have pointed out the two main differences in playstyle for her. RoA or Athene's, and Q or W. Personally, I max W first due to the high damage potential, and get an Athene's first (or at the very least, a Chalice). All of these strategies work...although if you're going to max W first rather than Q, I'd recommend getting the Chalice first. W is her only ability with a scaling mana cost. 110 when fully levelled. It's pricey. So, if it's your first damage tool, you'll want some regen or you'll spend more time OOM than you do with. Without it, you'd be able to use your ability combo about three times before having to recall.

If you max Q first (I prefer that as a positioning tool, since the damage matches Protect's now, but with higher AP scaling and reduction of damage for every target hit...not trying to talk you out of it, just saying why I prefer W) then you can feel free to decide between a RoA or a Chalice.

You asked for beginner builds...there are two main ones that come to mind. The RoA-themed one that goes without a Chalice, I don't know enough about. That mainly relies on high AP and using your abilities sparingly. The Chalice-themed one has a lot of mana regen and a decent amount (between 15 and 40%, depending on your masteries and what boots you get) of CDR. That one lets you spam your abilities all day while still giving them decent punch. Not as much as the RoA-themed build, but still a decent amount. The main thing I like about the Athene's build is that, the way I do it at least, it only requires four items to fully effective, and anything more than that is a bonus.

Sorcerer's or Boots of Lucidity - depending on if you want more damage or some extra CDR.
Philosopher's Stone - stacks well with the Athene's, helps with early-game mana problems.
Athene's Unholy Grail - 90 AP, 15% CDR, a massive amount of mana regen, and free mana on kill or assist. You are essentially manaless at this point.
RoA/Rabadon's/Void Staff - You should build this after getting the Chalice, and before upgrading it to the Athene's. The Chalice gives you enough regen to eliminate MOST of your mana problems, so there's no point in upgrading it immediately. RoA is what I usually get, for the health and AP. The other two options make you more squishy, but they're good if you want to deal a lot of damage. Generally, I find that a RoA is the best item to get here, and then one of the other two after the Athene's, depending on how long the game is.

Most of the time I start with boots, 2 mana and 1 health potion. But recently I've been experimenting with a Doran's Ring to start. Both work pretty well early-game. I haven't decided which I prefer yet. Basically, if you decide on the build that I just said (and in no way am I saying it's a good build. For all I know, it could be terrible most of the time) then experiment with it. The core part is the Philosopher's and the Athene's, to give you unlimited mana.