Mathematical probability proof of Why you should believe in God

123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UrsaMinor

09-05-2010

Nothing lost?

People that go to church every Sunday, for an hour, will waste 180 days of their life (if they lived 90 years and started at birth). And most people spend more time, than that, on god or religion.

I know some people don't go to church, but still believe in god or religion. But I still think they're missing out on a lot in life by staying in that thought process.

I like to day dream also, but I like to come back to reality.

PS what luciferian said

Eanruig

09-05-2010

ever heard the saying, there's no such thing as an athiest in a foxhole?

just a thought.

Lucid Dreaming

09-05-2010

Actually

This "God" you speak of is nothing of the sort.

The "God" that put life on this planet is actually an incredibly old species of extraterrestrials. With hundreds of thousands of years of technological and scientific advancement they have the ability to create suitable conditions on planets for life, to create life, to create us.

They could be looked at as gods seeing as they are in the position of gods. But they are just incredibly advanced. We as humans will be in the same position of god-like power given time. Once we reach the point of creating consciousness in A.I. we will be able to do the same that these aliens did through the use of computers. Computer simulations of planets, galaxies, universes where we can act as god. (Are we then creating life in the same way that we have been created, even though it's "just a computer program?") And that will only be the beginning.

As far as what lies beyond the universe and what lies beyond life, no one knows. The answer comes to us in death.

In any case, it still goes back to how did everything come to be in the very beginning.

Quote:
You don't lose anything from being religious
I would disagree. You lose freedom of thought.

Zenanii

09-05-2010

If i have to worship someone unconditionally to get into his heaven, then that's a heaven i don't want to go to.

Sir Stinkybottom

09-05-2010

Isn't math science or something? How can you use science to prove religion? I may not be a smart person, but that makes no sense in my book.

Also, if you religious people are so smart, how come there is still misery in the world when religion spreads love and peace or whatever?

Katahdin

09-05-2010

If you're religious and dedicate yourself to God, you lose the one life you had to live and enjoy life. Using infinity is just absurd because that eliminates ANY modifiers such as 50% and such. Try it with a real number and then try the argument again.

Answer this: If God is all forgiving and all benevolent, then why does he send you to hell if you don't believe in him? Wouldn't he just forgive you for not believing and save you anyway if he feels humanity is priceless?

What about babies who were never baptized? They never got a chance to believe or not, so the all forgiving benevolent God sends babies to hell.

Hellpyre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2010

The problem lies, of course, with the fact that an atheist, such as myself, is NOT by nature devout, and that false homage is a major sin in most religions, Christanity among them

renticletape

09-05-2010

Quote:
But if there is a God, you go to heaven and live for eternity in bliss (of which we will assume to have a value of infinity ∞).
LOL. Nice try but I see what you did thar.

Try this proof again with statistical assumptions that make more sense and you will get results that you would not agree with:
Total number of possible beliefs about death and the afterlife = N
P(A) = Probability that god and heaven exists as christians believe = 1 / N
Thus the probability that god and heaven exists as christians believe is NOT true = 1 - P(A) = (N-1)/N
Assuming there is no limit (infinite) to the number of beliefs about the after life and each belief is equally likely to occur, then probability that you would die and go to heaven as christians believe would be P(A) = lim 1/x (as x->inifinity) = 0. The probability that this is false is 1 - P(A) = lim(x-1)/x (as x->infinity) = 1. So if you are looking at this probabilistically, christians, or any other single religion with a specific belief about the death and after life is %100 likely to be wrong as long as there is an infinite number of different possible beliefs.

WitherSlick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2010

All aboard the trollercoaster

turbOpun

09-05-2010

Have you read anything about Hawking's proof?

What about this one?

123456 ... 10