Mathematical probability proof of Why you should believe in God

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2010

A thread for all those Atheists out there.

Note: This mathematical construction does not prove that god exists, but rather why we should believe in one, whether he really exists or not. Keep in mind that although I say "Christian," I really mean just any religion other than the I don't believe in god religion.

For more information, wiki up Pascal's wager.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us assume that there's a 50-50 chance that God exists. If you happen to choose the path of a devout Christian, there are two possibilities. If you are a faithful Christian and there is no God, you just fade into nothingness when you die. But if there is a God, you go to heaven and live for eternity in bliss (of which we will assume to have a value of infinity ∞). So the expected value of being a Christian is:

1/2 chance of fading into nothing........1/2 X ∞ = 0

1/2 chance of going to heaven.............1/2 X ∞ =
````````````````````````````````````````````````-----------------------------
``````````````````````````````````````````````Expectation =

Half of infinity is still infinity, thus the value of being a christian is infinite. Now what happens if you are an atheist? If you are correct - there is no God - you gain nothng from being right. After all, if there is no God, there is no heaven. But if you are wrong and there is a God, you go to hell for an eternity (of which we will assume to have a value of - ∞). So the expected value of being an atheist is;

1/2 chance of fading into nothing........1/2 X ∞ = 0
1/2 chance of going to hell.................1/2 X -∞ = -∞
````````````````````````````````````````````````-----------------------------
``````````````````````````````````````````````Expectation = -

Negative infinity. The value is as bad as you can possibly get. The wise person would clearly choose Christianity instead of atheism.

But we made an assumption here that there is a 50/50 chance that God exists. What happens if there is only a 1/1000 chance? The value of being a christian would be:

999/1000 chance of fading into nothing......999/1000 X ∞ = 0

1/1000 chance of going to heaven......................1/1000 X ∞ =
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````-----------------------------
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````Expectation =

It's still the same: infinite, and the value of being an atheist is still negative infinity. It's still so much better to be a Christian. If the probability is 1/10,000 or 1/1,000,000 or one in a gazillion, it comes out the same. The only exception is if the probability is 0.
If there is no chance that God exists (which has not and very likely will never be proven), the above mathematical proofs will make no sense. The expected value of believing in god will then be 0 X and that makes no sense. No matter what your outlook, it is always better to believe in God.

tl;dr
You don't lose anything from being religious, but you don't gain anything from being atheist.

Tony Lewis

09-04-2010

This made me smile, and I hope it's intended to be a little funny.

This proof would be something very relevant to someone about to be deposited in our world and he's told, "Sir, you can either be a believer or a non-believer." I wish religious beliefs weren't taken so much like that, so much like shopping: 'Well, I'll go with product X because it's cheaper and less likely to break than product Y.'

'Cause my beliefs are based from faith, not math lol... fun to play with the numbers though

dwarfortres

09-04-2010

Mind****ed....

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2010

Yea, but when you have an atheist friend, it's kinda difficult to convince him based on pure faith, which is why math is awesome.

Romally

09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle0117 View Post
tl;dr
You don't lose anything from being religious, but you don't gain anything from being atheist.
You gain from being religious. Your morality is further supported by your own spiritual beliefs. You gain from not being religious. Your morality is enforced by your desire to see things rationally rather than spiritually. You lose on both sides. You lose what the opposing side has to offer.

Your mathematics are not an eyeopener. Nor is it proof in the existence or non existence of an oversoul. It is merely constructed to entice others into belief without evidence or without the use of the structure that is spirituality.

Take care.

Illumis

09-04-2010

Being a christian or religious means you believe based on faith, if being an athiest you convert based on mathmatics and not having a blind faith that is a sin if i recall, also just finding a video that debunks pascals wager, there was a particularly good one, also you assume i would prefer to go to heaven and live forever than fade away, personally i would fade away rather than be forced to worship someone who says i must love him unconditionally or be punished for eternity. :P

Also you claim there are no Positives to not believing in heaven. to name just one, i can lead my life based on my morals, not on those from a book that claims i have to stone my children to death if they talk back to me, personally i would rather not stone children just so i can possibly live in heaven. And you give the value of heaven to be infinite, as i have said already i have some qualms with the premise and promise and existence of heaven on a moral standpoint therefore the value of heaven should not be infinite.

Also failed to address other religions, some which present that being a Christian is less favourable to being an atheist in their deity's eyes. This means being a Christian has 3 possible outcomes, one being heaven, 1 being nothingness and 1 being hell from another religion, All religions have these outcomes.

Illumis

09-04-2010

here is a fantastic video by a man much more intelligent than i describing what i wrote much more eloquently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imunLKIkM_Q

Luciferian

09-04-2010

#1. You're a troll.

#2. Christianity is not correct. No religion is correct. 0% of infinity is 0.

3. Stfu.

4. See #2.

Slippy Toad

09-04-2010

Dear OP,

Did you know there there is a 1/100000000 probability that if you don't smother yourself in your own feces right now that when you die, you will be submitted to continuous torture for eternity?

-walks by OP's restroom-

Oh dear god, what have I done.

Coedeed

09-05-2010

Listen buddy, I don't care what your religion you're into and what you believe in, but in the same time you need to respect what I believe and not preach your garbage on me.

Good day.

12345 ... 10