Having trouble with AP EZ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

butler22

07-09-2012

Now I know that ap ezreal is not the favorite way for many people to play him and that ad can be effective in dominion. What I want to know is how to make ap ez consistently work.

My normal build is start of with CDR boots, rush deathcap and lichbane. Throw in a kindlegem for some more cdr and health and thats usually all I get before the game ends.

I've read a guide on here, can't remember the name at the moment but he definitely advocated deathcap and lichbane.

My problem is that I blow up so fast and ez seems to have a fairly slow start. Once I get going I do pretty well but a lot of times the game has already been decided by that point.

Any ideas, tips, constructive criticism?

Phourc

07-10-2012

As a semifrequent player of AD Ez and Corki, I can say CDR and positioning is the best solution to being squishy.

Your Q base damage should be high enough (and you should always max it first on any Ezreal build) that you should be plenty scary early game - if that doesn't seem to be working, you can try running some Armor Pen (or maybe hybrid pen) runes to give it some extra kick.

Remember that Sheen does bonus damage equal to your base autoattack damage, so it's a good early item to pick up (I usually grab it after a phage on AD Ez), and upgrading it to a lichbane only adds damage when your AP exceeds your base AD (ie, after you get a needlessly large at least).

HaIfhearted

07-10-2012

Drop the boots 2 start.
For AP Ez I would recommend starting Boots + Prospectors Blade.

Yes, you read that right. I am advocating an AD item on an AP carry.

This is because +200 health and +20 AD is simply MASSIVE at the windmill fight.
Autoattacks at that point in the game contribute to a fairly significant portion of your DPS.
The stats that a prospectors blade gives you are about a ~20% health and damage increase.

Anyways, after that I would guess at doing Sheen > Cap > Lich, but I'm not really an Ezreal player, so take that with a grain of salt.

DiscworldDeath

07-10-2012

Need Morello or DFG to max CDR.
Sheen either before or after.

Hawktitan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

AP Ez is a little squishy, just make sure to focus on your positioning and not get caught off guard.

CDR + Lichbane + Deathcap is pretty much the core of the build.

Cless

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

The problem with the lichbane + deathcap build is when you start hitting 1700+ Dominion Elo, people build defensive items and you're just tickling all those tanky DPS. One CC and you're dead, so when WW, Pantheon, Malphite, etc initiate, everyone else focuses you or whoever is the highest threat (carry). Positioning can only do so much.

The lichbane + deathcap build is great for soloing you out of Dominion Elo hell when no one builds defense and picks a bunch of squishies.

I've been experimenting with a Mpen build (abyssal scepter, haunting guise, sorc shoes, malady...then go CDR and/or more AP) but haven't had much success (sometimes it does wildly good, sometimes it's terrible...though it helps if you have teammates that peel or a bunch of CC). Now I'm thinking of a kiting build & sustain with Rylai's Crystal scepter and WoTA/Gunblade. If I don't find a way to make him mostly successful in 1700+ elo, I might as well give up and play him AD due to all those tanky DPS =(.

Volandum

07-10-2012

Rylai's would be pretty weak, only your E would apply the full slow. Might as well build mallet (or trinity force for a stronger slow if you feel lucky).

But as Cless says you do hybrid damage, and your core is very expensive and made of purely offensive items, and your late game isn't that godly anyway.