Playing Karma

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TastyBeeBurgers

07-05-2012

I've started to expand my Support roster and have recently gotten Karma. I've been kicking some serious ass in Bot Games, and want to start bring her into PvP, but I'd like to know a few tips and tricks to her.

XCodes

07-05-2012

What level are you? The answer to this question depends heavily on the answer.

If you're level 20+, then Karma will not be a strong support choice in the current meta, and her AoE's will likely annoy your ADC. It's not that she's a bad hero, it's just that the ADC/Support bot meta plays very strongly away from Karma's strengths. On the other hand, she has two large AoE, offensive spells with reasonably high base damage and AP ratios, plus a shield that let her push lane *very* hard once she has adequate MP5 or blue, which can also free her up to pick up wraiths as they pop if she's against a weak pusher like LeBlanc and build a level/gold advantage. She can also be a great roamer from mid with her slow, shield, and a strong "panic button" heal.

If you're level 19-, then do whatever you want. The people that actually care are either smurfs or terrible (and a surprising number may very well be both). I've simply given up on trying to shoehorn the current meta into low-level games, since the two defining roles of the current meta: Jungler and no-CS Support Bot, essentially require runes and masteries to do decently at all.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2012

I would avoid Karma. She is a support that really needs FARM to do well, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do in the metagame.

Surely there are other champs that you can work on for support. Blitzcrank/Alistar/Taric as beefier CC guys, Sona/Soroka/Lulu/Janna as ranged harass.

XCodes

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
I would avoid Karma. She is a support that really needs FARM to do well, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do in the metagame.

Surely there are other champs that you can work on for support. Blitzcrank/Alistar/Taric as beefier CC guys, Sona/Soroka/Lulu/Janna as ranged harass.
Karma is a support in the same kind of sense that Lux is. Riot calls her a support, and that's her role in teamfights, but she doesn't lane in the no-CS bot position, she lanes mid.

MrTryHard Bro

07-05-2012

Karma's particularly strong with Tristana and Corki/Graves. Other than that you prefer Janna or any other supports, really. You'll have to rush GP5 items such as Philo/Kage.

I personally build her AP support like an amumu or
Malphite would, with Abyssal Scepter/Randuins. It works very well but is a little costy. As of farm, I've had Very few problems early. And when mid games comes you can farm some.

acosn

07-05-2012

Karma's a meta-breaking support. Her best roles are solo lanes, and working with melee soaks like Garen and Riven, and she has this rather nasty problem where she can't ignore AP and remain useful. While Riot has been targeting nerfs at other supports to make them fall into this position as well (Janna and Soraka come to mind) the fact of the matter is that Karma's never been able to.

Aikimiller

07-06-2012

Karma has a long list of problems, despite being fun to play.

She needs Max CDR, she needs AP, she needs defensive items in order to live long enough in a fight to do anything with her close range skills, she needs mana regen while laning. But she's a support- and in the current meta, supports need to be able to function without gold- karma can't, and her kit is designed as such that she is a bad choice for a solo lane- short range skills mean she's easy to push out of lane with harass, and not having any good CC or escape means she's easy to gank, or just flat out burst down (if Annie gets her stun off on you before you can shield, you are dead). Additionaly- putting her in a solo lane isn't where she wants to be- she functions best when you have an Ally to target your spells onto.

So- Karma isn't really competetive, but she's got a remake in the works, so the best advice is wait and see.

However- if you can't wait, and you're set on playing her support- She needs an aggressive laning partner who isn't afraid to be in melee range (Graves or Corki both work well). She's a poor support for long range carries who like to sit back and poke- don't try to run her alongside a caitlynn.

Build- Philo stone, HoG, Kage's. Upgrade the Kage's into a Morello's lucky tome. That's really all you'll probably be able to afford in an average game, but if you get lucky, grab a deathcap. You ABSOLUTELY need 40% CDR. I run her with AP/lvl reds and blues and gold/10 quints, magic pen is useful Karma already has problems scaling due to needing gold, so I go for the AP.

As far as playing goes, basicly you need your AD carry to know what you're capable of, be ready to shield them at a moments notice, although if you can get into a premade or duo with your AD carry, coordinating this becomes much easier. Also, make sure you're working with your jungler on ganks, as the jungler is likelier to benefit from your skillset more. Slow the target with your leash, shield +mantra the jungler once he's up close, and be ready with your mantra+Q in case things go wrong.

Summoner spells: Karma's got a good deal of freedom of choice here. CV isn't a bad choice if your team is coordinating well, ignite if you ned to counter a a Soraka, Heal gives you a backup when your mantra's are down. Teleport isn't a bad choice, as it allows you to back early in lane for your g/10 items, and late game Karma is a decent split pusher. Flash/Ghost are nice for an extra escape mechanism too.

XCodes

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikimiller View Post
She needs Max CDR, she needs AP, she needs defensive items in order to live long enough in a fight to do anything with her close range skills, she needs mana regen while laning. But she's a support- and in the current meta, supports need to be able to function without gold-
Morgana is a Support. Since when has Morgana ever needed to function without gold?

LoBones

07-06-2012

Morgana has a better "kit" for playing like a mage than Karma does. When you say you are going to farm morgana, or lux, orianna, karma, etc. up - you are playing them as a MAGE not as a support, as an AP carry.
Characters like Lux, Morganna, Orianna, and Karma tend to perform very poorly when they don't get a significant portion of farm. Much more poorly than supports like Janna, Taric, etc. etc. current meta blah blah.
You can mid lane a karma like you would a lux or morg, but you need your team to actually be tailored more for her style, whereas morganna or lux or orianna etc. can fit more easily into pretty much any standard team comp.
If you lane karma bot, you should make sure you and your lane mate both understand that you NEED to be aggressive. That being said, especially early game karma can be really powerful, a bot lane karma is as close as the "mage" type standard supports probably come to a kill lane. As long as you are good at NOT dying, you can use your health pool as a reserve of bonus AP which means you add significant dps to your AD carry. But if you don't manage to get those lane kills, you won't be able to pick up a relatively early abyssal scepter or will of the ancients to supplement your GP5 items and carry you through the mid-game.

Aikimiller

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCodes View Post
Morgana is a Support. Since when has Morgana ever needed to function without gold?
In the current Meta support means 0cs, no farm, gets Gold/5 items, and goes bot lane with the AD carry.

Yes, Morgana is labeled by riot as a support. But she is played as an AP mage when she goes mid, not as a "support".