Higher Level Play

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nazgulian

07-10-2012

As a newish player, there are things I'm still learning all the time. There are also a lot of things I don't understand.

From what I gather a standard game will have 1 player top, 1 player mid, 1 jungler and 2 bot. So my question is why 2 bot and not top?

What is the real role of the jungler? Are they supposed to get to a certain level and then gank mid or more just give buffs to the other players.

Why do some support players on bot not try and last hit minions? So their lane partner can get the last hits??

Also is their a page or a website with all the terms? Like Idk what CS'ing is?

Thanks!

Rhiehn

07-10-2012

Dragon control, to clear the jungle camps so there can be a second solo lane as well as ganking various lanes when possible, to allow the carry to farm, CS=creep score

xIceSlasher

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulian View Post
As a newish player, there are things I'm still learning all the time. There are also a lot of things I don't understand.

From what I gather a standard game will have 1 player top, 1 player mid, 1 jungler and 2 bot. So my question is why 2 bot and not top?

What is the real role of the jungler? Are they supposed to get to a certain level and then gank mid or more just give buffs to the other players.

Why do some support players on bot not try and last hit minions? So their lane partner can get the last hits??

Thanks!
1) It's just like that, there's no real reason for it

2) A jungler is supposed to gank the lanes while farming the jungle creeps, somes can gank as soon as lvl 2, while others at 3, 4 ,etc. It also should give second or third blue to the AP mid

3) The bot lane is formed by an AD carry and a support, the AD carry items are quite expensive and needs to last hit a lot, the support however doesn't need items as much as the carry and it can get gold per 10 items

4) http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=29101#chap9
It teaches some basics and gives you the meaning of some terms

Hope it helps!

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulian View Post

Thanks!
- 2 bot instead of top is to put more players in the vicinity of the dragon.

- the jungler serves a few purposes.
1) it allows for 4 streams of gold - 3 lanes + jungle creeps
2) helps with control (ie, making sure the other team doesn't take yours and making sure the right people on your team get them) of blue and red buff
3) having someone who's not constantly visible in a lane makes ganking easier

- usually supports team with a ranged attack damage carry in bot lane, and the support allows the ad carry to get all the last hits for the gold. the support is a champion that has abilities that are still really useful even without a lot of items (for example, alistar's headbutt and pulverize are still incredibly useful even without any damage because of their cc, his heal, even if it's weak, is still useful for sustain, and his ult allows him to tank for a few seconds regardless of what items he has), while the ranged ad carry is a champion that scales really well with items to deal massive damage as the game gets further along. by allowing the ad carry to get all the gold from the minions, it sets the team up for success.

- http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Terms should have most of the abbreviations and terms you're looking for. your specific example, cs, means creep score - the number of last hits on minions you have.

FragiIe

07-10-2012

The reason why you have the AD Carry/Support on the bottom lane is because the support is usually the one carrying wards and has the time to go around and ward key points such as the tri-bush and dragon while the other lanes have to focus on last hitting and maintaining the lane. Not only this but the AD Carry also helps kill the dragon faster because of his DPS and basically helps secure it. The reason why the AD Carry is paired with support is because AD Carries are usually very squishy and need someone to basically baby sit them in lane to make sure they don't die too easily. Usually classes with heals or hard CC are paired with them.

The supports don't get any CS because their skills don't require items to be good. They get their gold income through items such as heart of gold or philosopher's stone.

I'm going to assume that you're also going wonder why AP Carries and tank-like characters are usually mid/top. AP Carries go mid because the middle lane has the most exp because it's simply the shortest lane which means the creeps travel to the center faster. AP Carries benefit the most from the extra levels rather than an AD Carry for example.

A jungler's role consists of the follow:

- helps relieve pressures on other lanes by ganking. This keeps the enemy lane from pushing too far up due to fear of ganks and in turn helps your team out.

- managing other lanes when they have to back. There are situations where your teammate just has to back otherwise s/he might die. In these events, having the jungler take over your lane helps keep your enemy from pushing and damaging the tower too much and does not allow the gold/exp from enemy creeps to go to waste.

- buff control. The buffs are amazing. AP Carries usually cannot take the blue buff by themselves for quite awhile without investing in specific items. The jungler however can simply hand them the blue buff allowing them to spam their skills at a much faster rate without fear of losing mana. This is especially helpful for some mana heavy champions such as Anivia or Ahri. Also, if you have a champion that is strong at counter jungling, he might even be able to steal the enemy's blue buff or red buff meaning that their AP Carry won't be able to have blue buff either giving your AP Carry a huge advantage which may cause them to win the lane.

- Dragon and Baron control. Dragon and Baron are very important objectives for early/mid/late game. Having that gold advantage early on in the game gives you a higher chance of dominating your lane and multiple dragons can contribute to an early win even if it's not official (we all get those games where it's simply clear who the winner is). Later in the game, having the Baron buff could mean the end of the game. Having smite on a jungler is not only for clearing the jungle quickly but it also secures the dragon and baron because of its quick cast and true damage. You'll also have the ability to "steal" baron or dragon if you have someone with smite. Also, early on in the game, the jungler is usually the only champion that is constantly roaming the map and because of this he's able to refresh wards on dragon, river, tri-bush, wherever he feels it's needed.

- Having a jungler means that you can have another solo lane. This allows the top lane to basically get all the exp and gold to himself which only benefits you in the long run. Having a jungler also means that important buffs like blue and red don't go to waste as well as the jungle creeps.

I hope this helped! I'm not a pro but this is what I've learned!