LoL keeps crashing my PC. Help please!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dravíon

07-09-2012

Hi.

I have a 2,6 GHz CPU with 2 GB RAM and a Radeon 5670. I run Windows XP.

LoL keeps crashing my PC. I am talking about hard crashes. No Bluescreen or anything like that. My PC just freezes, often my sound output freezes too and I hear the last second of sound output in an endless loop. Sometimes my PC just randomly shuts down and starts to reboot as if someone had pressed the reset button.

I don't believe it is a hardware issue, because it ONLY EXCLUSIVELY happens when I run LoL. Here are specifics:

- It almost never happens during a game BUT it has happened right at the start of the game (right after the loading screen was finished) OR pretty often right at the end of the game when Nexus goes down and I click on "Continue".
- It usually happens a lot when I just have the Client open and running. Sometimes when I leave the Client open and leave and come back to my PC a couple hours later, the PC has crashed without me doing anything.
- The crashes happen a lot more frequently when I am browsing pages in the internet that have a lot of flash content, like youtube etc.

A couple month ago, I was thinking that Flash was the problem, so I made a clean reinstall of Flash, but that did not fix anything. Then a couple of weeks after that, I happend to not play LoL a lot. Like 2 weeks or so I did not open the LoL client because I was buys with other things. And I noticed during that time, that my PC NEVER crashed from anything. And even now, if I do not open the LoL client, my PC never crashes. So I knew that LoL is the problem. I deinstalled all my LoL copies (I had one installation for US Servers and one for EU West, still back from the time where you could not switch between servers) and then I reinstalled one, new and fresh LoL client.
But guess what? Now it is worse then before. The amount of crashes I expierience with the client has almost doubled from what I had before the reinstall.

Can anyone help me, please?

Dravíon

07-09-2012

Anyone? Please?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

07-09-2012

Quote:
Sometimes my PC just randomly shuts down and starts to reboot as if someone had pressed the reset button.
Given that symptom, most likely this is a hardware issues.

Best place to start here would be temperature checks on your video card and processor.

Dravíon

07-09-2012

I can assure you, it is NOT a hardware problem.
Or can you explain to me, why it only happens when I have the LoL Client open? If you have read my text carefully, you should have this information.

I can run many other games like Diablo 3, Battlefield Bad Company 2 etc. in high settings and my computer never overheats. But when I open up my LoL Client, go afk for 5 hours, come back and he "magically" has crashed...

No, sorry but it is not a Hardware Problem. If it was a hardware problem, my computer would randomly crash even after completly removing LoL from my computer. But he does not. If I restart my PC and don't start my LoL Client after that, my Computer runs for weeks without crashing even once, all while playing other games and watching a dozen streams and surfing a dozen websites etc.

Any other help please?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

07-09-2012

While a game can in and of itself crash, a hard reset where your computer shuts down or restarts on it's own is generally an indication of some sort of hardware issue.

The ability to run other games while a helpful test, does not necessarily mean your computer isn't having hardware problems.

Dravíon

07-09-2012

So your explaination basically is: "Your hardware does not like LoL so it randomly crashes everytime you run LoL. So your hardware is at fault for not liking LoL. It may be fine with EVERY OTHER software you run on your computer, but obviously not LoL."

Can you suggest me any software with which I can test possible hardware failures in my system? So that I can rule out any possible hardware malfunctions?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

07-09-2012

That's not what I'm saying at all. Hard crashes, like the ones you're describing are pretty much not able to be caused by a program. That is to say, the program may very well be exacerbating an underlying issue but is not the root cause of the problem.

Different programs (like other games) stress your computer in different ways. While some issues may be shared, because programs stress your computer differently, being able to run (for example) Crysis without issue does not necessarily mean League of Legends will run without issue.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying your computer isn't shutting down when you run LoL, it sounds like it is. All I'm saying is, given your symptoms for that type of crash, there is some underlying issue that is causing the crash when you run League of Legends.

Because your computer restarts instead of shutting down flat, there's a chance it could be a driver related problem, it could also be an issue with any number of components including your processor, video card, RAM, or even a hard drive.

In terms of tools, there are a number of various free testing programs available online. RivaTuner is a great video card temperature monitor (among other things) but takes a little bit to setup. You might be able to find more basic programs for temp checking if you don't have something natively installed.

CoreTemp or other free programs can be used to monitor your CPU temperature.

MemTest86+ is a good stress test program for your RAM.

That's the basic ones I can think of off the top of my head but a google search should be able to land you some others.

Dravíon

07-09-2012

Thanks for the tips.
I made a very clean swipe of my graphics card drivers and reinstalled with the newest ones. I hope this fixes the problem. If not, I will test my RAM.

smoove handles

07-16-2012

I am having the same problem and while I do appreciate the tips, someone at Riot seriously needs to address this issue. I am having the same problem and its due to one of the recent patches. I don't need someone to tell me that "its a hardware issue" when I run 10x more demanding games with 10x better graphics than leagues of legends flawlessly.

And seriously if you run Crysis flawless and you cant run League of Legends it is our fault for having a hardware problem? Could you try using some common sense please.

Gumurak

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggarati View Post
I am having the same problem and while I do appreciate the tips, someone at Riot seriously needs to address this issue. I am having the same problem and its due to one of the recent patches. I don't need someone to tell me that "its a hardware issue" when I run 10x more demanding games with 10x better graphics than leagues of legends flawlessly.

And seriously if you run Crysis flawless and you cant run League of Legends it is our fault for having a hardware problem? Could you try using some common sense please.
Actually this is incorrect. And a common misconception when it comes to gaming. The game itself typically will not cause a shut down on a computer. Shut downs on a computer are a self control mechanism of your computer to protect itself. It is almost always 99% of the time a hardware issue. Now that hardware issue may in fact be because it doesn't agree with how they coded thier software.

So just because you can run Crysis on high settings, doesn't mean your system is able to run something it's not coded or optimized for. I've had systems that run crysis and then fail on eve online or bulletstorm. It happens, deal with it. So some common sense would tell you that your statement is ridiculous and unnecissary. As common sense would dictate to test everything and come to a logical solution before defending something you have no legit information on.

Have you checked your bios? Whens the last time you took canned air to your system? What are your system specs? have you run futuremark and tested your system?