New ELO point system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

abchiptop

07-10-2012

Need a new ranking system?
Why not Zoidberg?

In all seriousness, the fairest way is to pick a base number (10? I dunno). For every tower advantage point you have (you have 5, they have 1 top lane, 4 advantage), you get the number multiplied by a coefficient.
If you have negative advantage and you win, it's a much larger margin (almost lost, turned it around, won.)
These are then divided by the time. If its a fast game with big advantage, more points (one team got crushed for whatever reason). If its a long drawn out game with low advantage (even 0-0), then theoretically the players are close to their true skill: smaller gains. This forces faster tactical play, as the teams with bigger faster wins advance, leaving passive teams behind. This is what riot seems to want, at least. Less passive play, go all in all the time.

Gnomis Pervertus

07-10-2012

I'll admit, I don't see the point. Encouraging people to go after that kill that costs the team the fight is not really viable. Not to mention if you're losing, and losing hard, you're going to lose more Elo than just simply losing. I'm a low level player, new to LoL, and I know, deaths at my level of play, are a lot more common than higher end play. But even when spectating ranked games, there can be a lot of deaths once a snowball goes down.

So, here's what I see: Implement it this way, there's going to be a lot more 20 minute surrenders to preserve their Elo from dropping any worse than it has. As well as people rushing off for that kill just because they can get a little bit of Elo.

Sure, I'd love to see ranked be a little bit harder to get into, frightens me to even think about trying it out when I hit 30(which means, I'm not likely to join ranked for a long time after hitting 30). But changing the Elo system to give people bonuses simply for being kill hogs and avoiding the team fight so they don't die? Meh, pass.

I Cookeh I

07-10-2012

dont agree with tier 2

intentional feeders

Jimqi

07-11-2012

Implement this system and people will do nothing but sit back and get assists until even if they lose they gain elo.

XReyoX

07-11-2012

I do not think this is a good system because it is practically not possible to balance out. This puts too much emphasize on kill/death/assist which is not the goal of the game (although having a good score will increase your chance of winning).

Note that champions, even in the same class can have very different KA/D ratio because of the nature of their skill set. For instance, Soraka/Sona will almost always get an assist for each kill during a teamfight whereas Blitz/Zilean might not. KDA potential of champions should not be a factor your choice at champ select.

Also, this will kill the fountain diving at that last 5 seconds of the game, which can sometimes be quite hilarious.

patthebaker

07-11-2012

I see a post like this and i take it two ways. I see it as yes the end result is what matters most, winning and losing. What ever you can do to get the win is what you do to win, no matter if that leads to ie: yi backdooring, forcing fights, stealing kills etc..... however i also do like the idea here because it encourages that kind of play. if for someone to get elo with K/D/A they will want to play more instead of giving up when a teamfight goes poorly. they will want to do everything to get that kill (and although support can't carry they can do game changing damage and healing/bubbling in teamfights), They will want to be cautious in a fight as dying would be loss of elo but it would also motivate them to be in the fight because it leads to K/A's. I'm going to say i like this system as it supports team play, good team play, and helps resolve the issues of leavers and feeders.

exo521

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2012

I like this, but also think it could/would causes many unforeseen problems as well. Winning/losing the game should be the main source of elo gain or loss, but it would be nice to have a secondary system that reflects the players score as part of their skill. Im currently stuck in ELO hell like so many others, my avg ranked score is 7-4-7. Im not a pro, but in general, i do my job, and i dont feed. However despite that i have lost more ranked games then ive won. A system that took my score into consideration at the end of every game would show that im not as bad as my ELO shows, Ive heard it before "good players carry themselves out of ELO hell" well i dont care how good you are, no one carries out of a 4v5 game with one teammate going 0-6 in the first 20min. That, sadly, is not a uncommon game for me. Sometimes im on the other side and we steam roll them and they have the afk, sometimes im on the side with the afk and we get rolled, not too often is there an actual close game at this ELO level. But anyway, a secondary ELO system that takes in account player scores to sort out the players that caused the loss from the players that were a long for the ride would be a great thing.

Sam Is Whoa

07-11-2012

Not a bad idea but the problem would be that with trolls on a team they pull you into bad positions and get you killed before you can realize they are trolls. Meaning your losing even more elo because of the troll.

I do like the idea. I think it would make ppl more prone to surrender when getting roflstompped because they wouldnt want to lose anymore elo than they already have. I love that because there is nothing more annoying than playing a game your going to lose and getting yelled at for afk in spawn because you wont solo defend an inhibitor against a full hp team.

Kreyni

07-11-2012

Why not make tower kills and assists worth the most ELO? The goal is to kill the towers then the Nexus after all.

(inb4backdooryi)

EndofDeepsleep

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2012

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I have read all of your posts and i will point out the fact that i put deaths above kills in ELO gain, as well as the fact that the base is reasonable for winning and loosing. In my opinion this system won't encourage a KS system because if they die they will not gain but loose ELO. Also i like the idea of implementing a system involving towers, only problem with this is in the end game when you are loosing someone can throw the game back dooring a tower.

Considering all this feed back i will consider raising the base ELO gain to 10 from 8 and putting in a point system based on turrets downed.

A lot of the reason i think this system will work well is because i have been on team where i will lose with 102 kills to 75 kills, and it is not that my team is unskilled but it is more a long the lines that towers get pushed while we fight mid and they get an inhib and prevents us from doing anything to extreme. I feel that losing on that kind of team is a huge let down but at least you feel you did well.

Surrendering: I agree that it may cause a huge problem with people jumping ship so they gain ELO rather than loose it and i will add something to prevent this!

Again, thank you for the feedback!