[Request]Tips On Harassing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheCave

11-05-2009

I have been playing LoL for a few months now and I played DotA before, so I am not unfamiliar with the general gameplay ideas.

That being said, I seem to be failing so hard in early game harassment and I can't seem to figure out why. There are certain heroes that I dread laning against in the beginning because of how well they can harass me, but when I play them I can't seem to make it work.

Teemo, Kassadin, Gangplank, Blitzcrank, Zilean seem to be the guys that give me the most trouble. Laning against these guys (in 1v1 setting, I mean) always nets me with significantly less health than them at pretty much all times.

I usually do relatively well, but I'm tired of being out-harassed pretty much every game. What are some tips from the pros for successful early-game harassing?

Lemt

11-05-2009

Well, different champs harass in different ways, but here go some tips:

-Use potions. That HP and MP they have in excess of you may be because good players use them. Just remember that you have to use them early. As soon as you are missing 200 hp use an HP pot, etc.
-Keep moving. Many harassment skills are skillshot, meaning they can miss if you dodge.
-Keep an eye on the enemy. If he's coming forward, he either wants to get a shot at you or a Last Hit on a minion. Do the same, and try to be better than him at it. It's a lot like dancing, except you WANT to step on the other's toes. :3
-Recall back to base. Wasting time on the trip is bad. Getting killed is MUCH worse. If needed, tag with a partner (he defends while you recall, and you defend while he recalls.
-Change lanes sometimes. This can catch people by surprise, but if a lane is empty, take it. Even if it's not the one you were on.
-Use the grass. Playing from the grass makes it harder to harass you, and easier for you to harass. But don't be afraid to leave it if you think you can't hold it. Just never go into the grass alone unless you are at full HP and can see 4 enemies on the minimap on other lanes.

Hope that helps.

TheCave

11-05-2009

Thanks for the tips, but I tend to do most of that already (with the possible exception of the "Do the same, and try to be better than him" bit) and I still find myself with the short end of the stick.

If I don't buy a Regrowth Pendant I always buy pots from the start. I am fairly decent at getting hits on the enemy, especially with targeted spells like Parley or Void Sphere, it just always seems like when I do it they sit in their lane forever and I can't get them under like 75% health, but when they do it I'm down to 33% before I know it and have to blue pill back to base to regen.

I mean, when I spot him coming in to get a hit on me, do I back up to bait him into my creeps? Should I only try to hit him if I am behind my creeps so I don't draw the added dps from his? If he does get into range to attack me, should I attempt to hit him back? Or should I run back so I don't take any more hits than I have to? I think the optimal answer to these sorts of questions is going to be something like 'well it depends on the situation/location/heroes/etc' but, if I feel like I'm doing everything I should be relatively correctly and I'm still ending up with way less health and mana than the other guy there's got to be something I'm missing.

Lerrem

11-05-2009

Have you tried playing the characters in question and seeing if you can replicate thier results? If you can do the exact same thing with that character then they may just be more suited for harrasing.

I usually dont have much trouble with gankplank or blitzcrank (providing i dodge his grab) but zilean can definitly be anoying, an ap teemo does lots of early damage with his poison attacks and blind shot, and kassadin does seam to get strong fast.

With kassadin the secret is to keep him from auto attacking creeps because that is how he regens mana to keep harrasing you. If he gets an edge on me I have trouble fighting his as well.

With teemo I either have to be playing a good haraser, or else I play defensively against him. In a quick exchange he always seams to get the upper hand.

And with Zilean I would also recomend defensive play, but every time he uses his bomb on creeps try to make him pay by harrasing when it is on cooldown.

I'm also not the best harraser, but thats my advice for dealing with those specific characters I have trouble with.

phydeaux

11-05-2009

Consider getting one of the Doran's items which gives you a considerable HP% boost if you are not a tank. Also there's no shame in hugging tower since some champs just can't harass as well as others. Pretty soon you will hit level 6 and can go gank them with other teammates- if they are harassing really hard it probably means they are pushing close to your tower so there is plenty of space behind them to sneak up.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2009

kassadin/gang plank aren't that good at harassing early on.
for physical dps, try regrowth pendant.
for mage/tanks, use sapphire crystal + 2 health potions. use health potions for survivability and the sapphire crystal to harass back.

TheCave

11-05-2009

With Kass and Pirate I just eat Void Spheres and Parleys all day long. It isn't necessarily that the damage they do is so great at range, but the frequency at which I get hit by them and especially with Gangplank having a self heal and Kass a flash, it just seems like I can't get ahead.

I am notoriously bad at not paying attention to my opponent's cooldowns, and that I know is something I need to work on.

I've been playing around with an early Philosopher's Stone and have had some pretty good success with it, but I guess I'll still work on my fundamentals some more.

Logo

11-05-2009

Know when you are 'beat'. You can't play aggressively vs every lane. Harassing champions like Chrono, and Teemo tend to be very difficult mid. They're almost always sure to get more damage on you than you get on them through poison or bomb.

The other basics are to:

1. Pay attention to where the creeps are. Make sure you aren't going to have your harass blocked by creeps
2. Use grass if top/bot to drop aggro/retaltion. This applies to both creeps and champions
3. Use creeps to block retaliation.
4. Avoid tanking creeps (see #2). This means hitting once then backing out rather than trying to chase with creeps on you.
5. Pay attention to how far up the lane you are, watch out for the tower and use your own tower.
6. Don't go for the kill, go for keeping him off last hitting creeps. Only go for the kill if you're sure you have it.
7. Pre-emptively avoid damage. Read their movements, if they are approaching make the necessary movements to avoid getting pinged by them and do so right away. Don't wait until they're hitting you to back up.
8. Mind your range. Don't try to auto-attack harass a champion with 200 range on you. It doesn't work. Same with spells.
9. Don't miss your skill shots.
10. Practice.
11. Helpful videos: http://kassadin.blogspot.com/2009/11...aka-video.html
http://kassadin.blogspot.com/2009/11...-dan-dinh.html

Lazeez

11-05-2009

When they move in to harass you make a quick decision, if his ability is gonna hit anyway then get a hit in on him too, if you can dodge it, do it, then as he is moving back hit him with yours.

That is assuming you have a harassing hero too, if you are a melee with no ranged capabilities then just suck it up and stay back till you get levels, everytime he moves, you move back etc. Always stay behind your ranged creeps, unless you are moving in for a last hit.

For someone like Blitz, you don't even wanna go near his turret, coz he will pull > fists combo you and kill you for sure.

It really comes down to what hero you are playing.

yoplate

11-05-2009

If you are against people with skill shots like blitzcrank, hide behind your creeps so they will block the shot. Also, predict! if you can predict what they are doing, it is so much easier avoid it.