Is an on-hit build worth it on Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goronok

07-05-2012

I love running it on SR on champs like WW and Teemo, but their powerhouse item is MBR, which doesn't exist on CS. KBR is significantly less powerful, and I always feel a bit hesitant to go on-hit, since the potential of the build is noticeably lower.

0shi

07-06-2012

I feel like Teemo gets more from going AP or hybrid AP and obviously WW is better off with tankiness and possibly a KBR as final item.
The times I've done on-hit builds with teemo kog or kayle I haven't felt like it was very powerful later into the game, would be my answer to your actual question.

Kiddalee

07-06-2012

Warwick can be mildly on-hit but you usually build CDR/tankiness on him before you can afford your Wit's End. Sorcerer's Shoes are really nice when you don't need defensive boots, particularly Merc's. From there, it's usually Glacial Shroud, Spirit Visage, then choose between Wit's End and Frozen Heart. I get Haunting Guise on him sometimes. Will of the Ancients will help you stomp pubs who keep face-checking your node after you're all tanked up. The other on-hit items are helpful too, especially if you were able to get magic penetration.

FOODFOOD

07-06-2012

It depends on the items. The only champ I think could really do decently with some on-hits is Kayle. I will get Wits End and Malady on her sometimes. Also, if the bot enemy starts stacking armor, I'll get the Kitais.

HaIfhearted

07-06-2012

I've done on-hit Kog a couple times, although the first time was more of an anti-leblanc build that just happened to include an early Wits End, and I got a Kitaes later cause I didn't know what else to buy, lol.

There aren't too many champs I'd recommend building on-hit for, cause the scaling just isn't that great.

If you are going on-hit, I would only do it on a champion who already has an extremely powerful built-in on-hit ability like Kog or Kayle.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2012

OnHit works fine, but ONLY for champs that have a significant amount of built-in onHit damage already.
Unlike SR, lifesteal for sustain isn't quite as big of a deal and the physical/magical split damage is more useful.

OnHit is more efficient than normal AS/AD/crit, but fails to scale towards the endgame like crit. Which isnt so big of a deal in dominion.

Bloodrazor is rarely a factor. It is so expensive and boosting AS thru the cheaper items works way better. Kitai's only gets bought as a 5th item maybe.

---champs-----
Kog Maw - best OnHit. vs 2k foe, adds 120(!!) onhit damage. Crazy! Even higher vs bigger foes.

Lulu - 87 onhit damage @18 , PERMANENTLY! Quite good.

THESE TWO above are the main ones used.

Kayle - so-so. 20-60 onhit dmg. Decent but not huuge, and limted duration, less range vs kog.

Varus/Vayne - a bit of onhit damage. Better off with other approaches.

Teemo - AP/AS is not totally awful. Good hybrid of harder hitting shrooms and improved autoattack, without going pure AP or pure AD/AS/crit.

anyone else - sucks.
==================== the build ===================================

* Malady - extremely cheap source of AS. AP usable by Lulu especially. Shred and onhit effects are ok.

* Wits End - high onhit damage, decent AS, and really really useful magic resistance. A shoo in.

* Ionic whatever - Decent. Extra health is a nice effect, decent AS, decent onhit.

* Nashers Tooth - kind of sucks. ONLY used by Lulu as a 3rd+ item maybe since she does benefit from the heavy CDR and the decent AP.

* Bloodrazor - I usually get the Recurve Bow part next and sit on it. Rarely if ever get bloodrazor but it does give some endgame scaling.

* Black Cleaver - nub trap! Adds ARMOR PEN, whereas all our onhit is MAGICAL damage. Awful awful item for this build.

Quincunx

07-06-2012

The dps from an on-hit-type build looks something like this:

DPS = AS * (AD + On-Hit Effects) * (Both armor and magic pen in some way)

while the dps from a conventional AD build looks more like:

DPS = AS * AD * Crit Chance * Crit Damage * Armor Pen

with the added bonus of healing from lifesteal and only needing one type of penetration. Thus, for pure damage past early-game, a conventional dps build will always outdamage the on-hit build because of the sheer number of multiplicative factors.

The greatest advantage of on-hit items is their ability to complement certain champions' abilities, especially on-hit abilities, since the only thing on-hit effects scale off of is attack speed. However, due to their inherent inferior late-game scaling, it is often better to build tanky with a few on-hit items, since if you wanted a squishy dps build, you should not have gone on-hit items.

For example, if I wanted to build Kog to take advantage of on-hit items, I might build something like Malady, Frozen Heart, Kitae's, Mallet, Maw, maybe switching Maw for a void staff or Kitae's for a Wit's depending on the enemy team.

Also, Kitae's is way better than MBR. And largely ninja'd by Warrrrax

Goronok

07-06-2012

On SR, for WW, I like on-hit for the fact that his ult is so useful for burst harass, or stopping runners, or picking off the weak, and on-hit does about twice the damage compared to AD.

His auto attack is less menacing with on-hit, unless the target has STUPID amounts of health to scale up his bloodrazor, but I still tend to win trades gearing him that way with the greatly increased healing from magic pen, and his Ult can be better used to turn the tables if needed.

As for Teemo, AD would give the most sustained DPS, but gearing on-hit I can also get decent amounts of AP and tons of magic pen, and make his poison and shrooms a real threat, as well as his blinding dart, allowing me more burst, utility, and dot kills than AD, and the on-hit items give him more sustained dps than hybrid.

On both, on-hit is also MUCH cheaper than an AD build, allowing him to break even on trades against early game powerhouses sooner, in my experience, as well as finish their builds and reach their ultimate power much quicker. I wasn't asking if on-hit was good on SR on WW/Teemo... I love it. I was asking if it translated well enough in dominion with a vastly inferior bloodrazor.

HaIfhearted

07-06-2012

Late-game oh-hit users actually benefit fairly well from Void Staff.
Since pretty much all of the damage is magical, magic pen works nicely for amplifying that damage.

Goronok

07-06-2012

On WW I just rune tons of magic pen and get Sorc shoes, and of course there's the Malady stack.

On-hit Teemo, I get Void Staff.