Build for AP Kog?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cheeto101

07-05-2012

Hey oh,

So I really enjoy playing AP kog on dominion/proving grounds but Im having trouble figuring out what to build for the early game. Late game obviously i want lots of mana, ap and mpen, but pre 6 Im basically useless.

Should I start with some early ad and sell it off once I hit 6 just to be a little more useful? Should I build my tear early and start building it up for later on despite the fact that its basically useless until I hit 6? Should I just start with some early mana regen/ap items?

konfetarius

07-05-2012

Pre-6, just grab a Catalyst and facetank for your team. You are cannon fodder, some slow, and damage through your passive.

MMKH

07-05-2012

I've seen one stack AAs and do surprising amounts of damage with ult though, trololo.

zionist shill

07-05-2012

6 RoAs.

A full rune page of movement speed quints.

GG.

HaIfhearted

07-05-2012

If I had to guess, I'd say go with a manatank build with Tear, Frozen Heart, Odyns Veil, and Void Staff.

The base damage on R is extremely high, but the AP ratio is really low, so magic pen should be a much more efficient way of increasing its power.

Plus, since those items make you pretty tanky, you can actually absorb a couple hits before going down, so poor positioning shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Volandum

07-06-2012

Pre 6 you're pretty strong actually, because Kog'Maw has good base stats and your autos hurt quite a lot, as does your passive if you have to use it. I'd say you're weakest around 7-11, because level 1 ult isn't nearly as strong as level 2 ult.

Redenbacher

07-06-2012

As Halfhearted said, Mpen goes a very long way because of the good base damage and poor scaling. Sorc Shoes + Haunting Guise is incredibly powerful for your ultimate early in the game... I highly recommend it.

How you solve the mana issue of ult spam is entirely up to you. Tear/AA, Chalice/Athene's, and RoA are all solid choices.

Void Staff if people start building MR.

If someone jumps in your face, unless your team can peel them off, chances are you're dead. Deal as much damage as possible in hopes that you can kill them with your passive.

FOODFOOD

07-06-2012

I typically make Haunting Guise and Sorc Boots my first items. Typically, bot lane won't get enough MR for you to need a void staff plus those two items.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2012

Pre-6 lasts what? 2 minutes of gameplay? After the windmill fight you are basically there. Why bother to fill in that gap since its sooo tiny?
He does fine pre-6 with very long range and his aoe slow/nuke. Even blowing up on the enemy does quite a bit of damage.

Personally I dont understand AP Kog. His nuke combo isn't that strong and there are usually less clumped fights going on. Id much rather take onHit or even AD and be able to have the strong autoattacks.

You can also get a lot of the benefit of AP thru pure magic pen. MPen reds, haunted guise, sorc shoes, abyssal scepter (kinda short range tho). Then rely on the Ults base damage to deal the beats, instead of trying to use the crappy 0.3 non-multiplying AP ratio.
With your leftover gold you can boost Attack Speed (nashers tooth, malady, etc), get some AP and deal pretty heavy autoattack damage too, with the mostly magical component penetrating even harder.

Volandum

07-06-2012

I think by AP kog we're discussing MPen kog, not hat stacking or anything stupid like that.