Queue Filter Idea

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baykun

07-05-2012

League Of Legends Solo/Duo Queue - Ranked and Blind

I want you all to know I LOVE this game. It is one of the most unique experiences I have ever found in a video game.
However, I believe that there is a fatal flaw in the queueing process that leads to many broken blood vessels and many abandoned accounts.
This is how I propose to resolve this fatal flaw.

When queueing to play a match in solo/duo or any blind provide a filter for the player queueing to select which role in the currently accepted professional meta they wish to fill.
(Top, Jungle, AD Mid, AP Mid, Ranged Carry, Support)

Given that this meta can change at any time and may very well be different even now as I write this, Riot would want to make sure that they include (during development) a way to change the current meta filter selections on the fly.

A matching system will then match the player with 3-4 other players (depending on whether they queued solo or with a partner) who have selected to play the other roles needed to complete the balanced team meta.
(Top, Jungle, AD Mid, AP Mid, Ranged Carry, Support)

Once the players are in champion selection, the only champions they may choose from (of the champions available to them) are the champions that can fill the role they selected when joining the queue.
(One method for determining which of the champions fulfill which roles, without alienating your community, would be to poll them. Or poll the professionals for a more specific data pool)

Why do this?

This will do many things for your community.

1. Educate players more thoroughly and quickly about what works best in the game.
2. Allow for less frustrating experiences during champion selection
3. Increase playerís overall enjoyment of League of Legends
4. Allow players to specialize in a role they wish to play
5. I believe this will prolong customer retention considerably
6. I believe this will SHORTEN queue wait times because more players will be willing to queue in the ranked games due the fact that they can be certain that at LEAST they will get to play the role they want and have a properly balance team.
7. Players will be able to queue with confidence that they can play what they want to play rather than what other, possibly inconsiderate, people want them to play (even if they canít properly fill the role they are being forced to fill. This is THE MOST frustrating aspect of any game I have ever played. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED)

What this will NOT do

1. This will not prevent players from being creative about new methods and team compositions (This filter is not in effect when a 5 man team is queued)

Please feel free to comment, ask questions, or contact me directly if you wish. I will gladly contribute more if asked.

Thank you all for your time.
DigitalGaulte

TaigaHalla

07-05-2012

seems like it will help, but sort of restricts people to a specific role without them allowed to change it. also, there will obviously be a shortage of supports to ap mid ratio, or even vice versa.

CamelOfDoo

07-05-2012

just cant work, not only are different champions viable in different roles beyond what people request (ive seen nautilus support and varus mid fairly successfully) but this would kill the wait times, and people would be forced into 20 minute queues for mid, top and ad carry, while they get 3 second queues for junglers. just unbalanced

Entumba

07-05-2012

As long as you could see the approximate wait times BY ROLE, before selecting your role, it would be awesome. That would encourage people to actually start playing supports (assuming their wait times were always '0').

Baykun

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaigaHalla View Post
seems like it will help, but sort of restricts people to a specific role without them allowed to change it. also, there will obviously be a shortage of supports to ap mid ratio, or even vice versa.
This shortage is ALREADY a problem.

Baykun

07-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelOfDoo View Post
just cant work, not only are different champions viable in different roles beyond what people request (ive seen nautilus support and varus mid fairly successfully) but this would kill the wait times, and people would be forced into 20 minute queues for mid, top and ad carry, while they get 3 second queues for junglers. just unbalanced

Any champion that can fill more than 1 role would be included in each player's list who queue'd to play a role that said champion fits into.

As far as wait times...

I play AD Carry most times and I can honestly tell you I would GLADLY wait for 20 extra minutes if I knew I was going to get a team composition that was balanced rather than a team that would be comprised or 3 ADC's and 2 supports, that wont surrender and forces a 1 hour match of wasted time. Wouldn't you?

Regardless of the method used to fix this problem, how much longer is Riot going to ignore that this is a very serious problem and causes many of their community to leave the game altogether for a more consistent experience?

-DG

Entumba

07-15-2012

I agree with be willing to wait longer times if I knew I was going to get my AP Carry role. Normally I play Support, because no one else does....

jowwr

07-15-2012

I really support that

Catastrophich

07-15-2012

I totally support that idea...

JavinoX

07-15-2012

This will not work because everyone will be going for popular roles such as top mid and adc. This will just add to the que time and also this doesn't really help getting rid of trolls that have names ADC or AFK. I wish this idea would work but in reality it wouldn't. Waiting for a game to que up for 20 mins doesn't sound exciting to me. When I'm in que, I like to play the game not wait for it.

Read my thread..instead of que filter..waiting for 20 mins ques...i rather have kick option during draft to boot a player who wants to troll and not help the team.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2278766