@Riot and @"Can we have ____ champ?" threads, This is what we REALLY need...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshness View Post
I want more hot chicks. But honestly, I would be happy if every champion from here on out was a yordel. They should be recognized as the tiny masters of the universe they are.
Yordles are simply Valoran's "goblins". Riot Games' own rendition of "small people".

We have enough of them, I wouldn't mind more, but not too much...

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRogue View Post
Because we lack a gladiator type who is so ridiculously full of himself and absolutely loves EVERYTHING he does? Not everyone needs a deep motivation. That's horrifically boring. Draven believes he is awesome. Draven wants everyone to see he is awesome.

Style is just as important sometimes. Draven's bio quote is jam packed with character. You read that, you know how this guy operates and thinks. That's what I'm commenting on. Draven is an excellently characterized individual, and he is **** stylish.

Honestly though, none of the champion concepts you listed are more creative. They're actually fairly standard archetypes. Nothing wrong with that, of course (the devil is in the details and a so-called cliche character can be fantastically written), but calling any of those core concepts particularly creative is... questionable.
Last time I checked, Pantheon was a gladiator that was always thirsty for battle, reckless yet strong and pretty cruel (read Leona's judgement+lore), oh, and let's not forget about Jax, a fighter that will fight in any circumstance, with any weapon, picking bar fights and being the cocky fighter that he is (read his lore+Journal of Justice).

Style is very important, but Draven doesn't deliver it well... We have a demented lunatic, Shaco. If we wanted a demented gladiator, why make him human? Why not a mutant? Kind of like how gladiators faced Manticores and some were sent in a labyrinth where the Minotaur resided, as punishment for crimes according to Greek Mythology.

Sure, his voice-overs are cool, but if ANYTHING, Soul Reaver Draven > Draven itself.

Draven's just boring... Just his skin, which makes him a demon executioner lunatic, is better than the champion in default...

And yes, the champion concepts I suggested ARE creative, and if you pay attention, we have champions similar to those: Treant = Maokai, Spirit Breaker = Alistar, Outworld Destroyer = Hecarim, Ursa = Warwick.

Most of the themes are slightly connected to champs we already have.

I say those heroes were VERY WELL made, the colors chosen are epic, the themes and details are outstanding, and the art is just crushing. As for their personalities, I suggest you go read their lores, you're in for a treat .

Jaghatai

07-05-2012

Didn't read thread -

To the OP - I personally don't like the aesthetic you are championing. I bought Darius and will buy Jayce and would have bought Draven if he fit my playstyle because I also like their aesthetic. One of the main reasons I won't buy Varus is because I don't like his look.

I would not have bought those champs if they had the aesthetic you are championing.

Nezgul

07-05-2012

I agree 100% OP!

I happen to particularly like the themes behind your 'favorite' heroes. Naix is a good one, too. :3

Ebonmaw Dragon

07-05-2012

Yes we need a Dragon champion.... and we have a bear....also 1 old man

donkrx

07-05-2012

Eh I dont know if I really agree with your particular preferences.... yes I think some new types of champions would be cool, other than what we've seen in draven/varus/darius/jayce, but, what you want looks really typical and common... non original. There's just something about them that makes me feel like I've seen it before and I'm kind of tired of that look, even though I've never played any other MOBAs.

FrostOrFlame

07-05-2012

We need Puck from DoTA 2. now that's a mage.

Nezgul

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkrx View Post
Eh I dont know if I really agree.... I dont know where those characters come from but they look really typical and common. There's just something about them that makes me feel like I've seen it before and I'm kind of tired of that look...
DotA2, and no. DotA2's hero roster is fairly unique, and it tries very hard to have as few overlapping themes as possible.

donkrx

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezgul View Post
DotA2, and no. DotA2's hero roster is fairly unique, and it tries very hard to have as few overlapping themes as possible.
What do you mean no? I've never played DotA2 (I updated my post while you were quoting it), never seen their roster, and overlapping themes is not really what I'm talking about. It's the artistic look... its really hard for me to put this in words. It just doesn't interest me and it feels typical in some sense, I guess in the general area of fantasy games.

Nezgul

07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkrx View Post
What do you mean no? I've never played DotA2 (I updated my post while you were quoting it), never seen their roster, and overlapping themes is not really what I'm talking about. It's the artistic look... its really hard for me to put this in words. It just doesn't interest me and it feels typical in some sense, I guess in the general area of fantasy games.
Looking at fantasy games in general, of course you're going to see typical looks.

Old, wise men are fairly common. As are giant spiders. (We get to thank LOTR for both.)

But for a MobA, and especially LoL, those looks or themes are -very- untapped. We have -one- old guy, Zilean, and he is underwhelming. And no spider or spider related champions what-so-ever.

It's not so much about introducing variety to the fantasy genre, but about introducing variety to the game.