Jayce, the Defender of Tomorrow Revealed

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PiggySaysWhat

07-04-2012

Sigh. Between the lore and the meh character design (another blandly handsome male with a big weapon. Wowsas. Haven't seen such originality since Cait and MF got in a room together. At least they weren't released one after the other,) I'm starting to feel Runeterra is becoming more and more just a vague fantasy fan fiction wet dream.

The only thing interesting about this champion are his mechanics, it adds nothing to Piltover, Zaun, or the lore of the world at large. It doesn't even tell us anything about him other than he's super awesome except for being a total idiot and causing mass war but it's cool cause he's a good guy...? That was my best guess. Because it's hard to buy the good guys=100% good all the time always idea in the age of the anti-hero, even in watered down fantasy. So, if you don't even care about lore anymore just cut it out entirely. Just make interesting mechanics and call it day. That would be better than this "lore" work that wouldn't even be impressive enough to make a splash on deviantart.

Annie, Morg, Amu, heck compared to Jayce even Ahri all have more interesting character designs and lore. That doesn't mean they aren't stock, it doesn't mean they aren't cartoony, because they are. They however were presented in such a way that made them seem fresh even in the confines of general fantasy. They all have a slightly dark and subversive quality when looked at a certain way. At best Jayce has the quality of "Charmingly Dumb White Knight (who actually makes things much worse but he's handsome and witty so whatevs,) which, if you haven't caught on, isn't very appealing.

Again, Riot, I'm sure the mechanics are fun and he's a fine champ. However, don't half-ass the rest. Either present a good product or explain that the lore and design wasn't up to snuff, you'll release better stuff in the future but until then people can enjoy what you've got so far. This just looks lazy to me but meh, seems to be a successful business model so what do I know.

DarkSoloKing

07-04-2012

Im gonna have one heck of a time mastering this guy with range and melee with completely different skills

Kinkypoptart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2012

Oh look... another muscular human male with a large weapon. How shocking. His kit sounds interesting enough, but his model and story are just... so lack luster and unexciting. I don't think I have been quite so... apathetic about a champion revealing. His kit looks interesting though, that might be his only saving grace in my opinion. However, there is nothing about him that gives me any incentive to want to pick him up before free week. Even for a good kit, i can wait.

Until the lore is redone, i don't think he is worth my IP. Im going to save up for Maokai instead.

Maxnormal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xintus View Post
I wish I could join the lore department lol. But other than that Jayce is my favourite champion release of all time, no joke. I don't care if anyone has any negative comments. He is a character I want to master so that I can play any role nomatter what as long as he helps teamfight teamcomp.
Realistically Jayce isn't great as an AD carry bottom. His best place is probably top, where his optional range in cannon form will give him an edge and passive resists in hammer form will allow him to go toe to toe with other bruisers.

His range is only 500 in cannon form. His attack speed and ranged damage steroid might give him some sort of chance in bot lane, but he won't be amazing. And he's not ideal mid. His Hammer form E and his AOE damage might make him a passable jungler.

LostSync

07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patou777 View Post
His splash art looks like a Team forteress 2 character. Well for the face at least.
You don't say...

zabrath

07-04-2012

Hopefully the defender of tomorrow comes out tomorrow! XD

Garnet

07-04-2012

So much for changing his lore...

Verrontt

07-04-2012

Jayce=Pulsefire Taric

Maxnormal

07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helexa View Post
At best Jayce has the quality of "Charmingly Dumb White Knight (who actually makes things much worse but he's handsome and witty so whatevs,) which, if you haven't caught on, isn't very appealing.
But he's not dumb, he's a genius inventor. He's basically League's answer to Tony Stark. He achieves status as a hero by the sweat of his brow and his ingenuity and great technical prowess. Where others would use his advanced technology for evil, he uses it for good. HE IS TONY STARK.

And the lore only cemented Viktor as being taken from Victor Von Doom, which he was always based on.

RapZero

07-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipTehMonk View Post
Why do I have a feeling that his mana on hit passive will outplay Taric's entirely.
Because it does?