@Riot, @GD: Let's Talk About Xerath.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Magus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Glad to hear it! This thread has also amazed me at how many other people play Xerath. Apparently there's ALOT of people in "Just the two of us." XP

WarlordAlpha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magus View Post
Glad to hear it! This thread has also amazed me at how many other people play Xerath. Apparently there's ALOT of people in "Just the two of us." XP
I used to be fairly certain I was one of about 3 Xerath players on NA, lol. Based on the upvotes on this thread there have to be at least a thousand logged into and browsing the forums.

Also, just updated the OP with the new information. Put a note at the top.

Pawstruck

07-12-2012

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I came onto the forums hoping to see for the past few days. THANK YOU for admitting you were wrong instead of ruining my favorite champion!

pikachuwei

07-12-2012

Horray now I need to get more RP for scorched earth xerath

WarlordAlpha

Recruiter

07-12-2012

I'm going to continue bumping this thread for the next few days in the interest of getting the word out.

Eph289

07-12-2012

I've already updated my YouTube video with the long ult cast time to link to FeralPony's post!

Papy Mougeot

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
I want to jump in this thread to clear up a few misconceptions around this issue. A lack of communication on our end and a few misleading comments have caused a bulk of misinformation around the Xerath ult changes so I want to clarify what exactly happened and how we’re moving forward.

I’ll start by outlining how Arcane Barrage functioned previously, how it functions on live, and how it will function next patch.

Quick definitions
CastTime – This is the amount of time the champion is locked in place while casting a spell. An animation plays and you’ll see a bar fill up at the bottom of the screen.

FallTime – Not really a technical term but what I am deeming the time delay between the visual effect starting to appear (the green expanding ring) and the actual damage being applied (the exploding lightning bits)

TotalDelay – The ultimate delay between the button is pressed and when the damage is applied

TotalBarrageTime – The total time it takes to cast and land all 3 ultimates assuming no human or lag delay.

How Arcane Barrage functioned pre-change
CastTime = .25 seconds
FallTime = .25 seconds
TotalDelay = .5 seconds
TotalBarrageTime = 1 second

How Arcane Barrage functions currently on Live
CastTime =.25 seconds
FallTime =.625 seconds
TotalDelay = .875 seconds
TotalBarrageTime = 1.375 seconds

How Arcane Barrage will function on Live
CastTime =.25 seconds
FallTime = .5 seconds (This now starts at the same time as the CastTime)
TotalDelay = .5 seconds

What has changed – There are two changes being made next patch.
1- The Falltime is being reduced to .5 seconds from .638 seconds.
2- The Falltime will start at the beginning of the cast bar instead of the end of the cast bar. This effectively shaves an additional .25 seconds from the time of button to the time on impact from the Live version.

Why did the changes in the Draven patch make the ultimate so difficult to land?
In short there was almost half a second delay added between when the opponent could see the ring and when it would impact. This would lead to opponents, especially those with upgraded boots or other movement speed increases to be able to walk out of the ultimate unless the placement was close to perfect. The goal with the initial change was to allow opponents the opportunity to react to the visual effect before getting damaged. Syncing up the visuals and the gameplay was a good change but we admit we went about it the wrong way and it caused unfair damage and frustration for Xerath players which is why we are making changes next patch.

What will this change ultimately (ha ha!) do for Xerath
- The timing for the Xerath player will behave identically to how it was pre-change.
o This will allow Xerath players who were used to the old timings to aim with the same feel and precision that they had previously learned.
o Xerath will be able to once again use his stun to combo with his ult as a reliable damage source
- And the visuals will now match the gameplay.
o The big problem with the pre-change effect is how the damage was applied to the enemy before the explosion occurred.
o Opponents should be able to react with appropriate instant cast counters such as spellshields or flash (or react quickly against poorly aimed Barrages). This is critical to counterplay and a healthy game experience as a whole.

I also want to formally apologize for our lack of clear information on this issue. Hopefully this cleared some things up. This will obviously not rule out the possibility for any future Xerath changes and the Live Team will continue to access his status post-changes. As the person working directly on the ultimate changes for next patch I can also answer additional questions on this issue.

TL : DR
- Xerath’s ultimate changes are coming next patch
- The time delay between Xerath hitting the button to the effect hitting will be changed to pre-change. This will allow Xerath to combo his abilities together like pre-Draven patch.
- The visual effect will continue to match when the damage is applied
- The only effective difference now to pre-Draven patch is a small visual window for the opponents to react with appropriate instant cast counters (such as Flash, spellshields etc)
- We will not be reverting the Xerath buffs from last patch
- Our apologies for the confusion and frustration that these changes have caused Xerath players
hi, thank for the update
what do you think about the proposed change for the xerath ultimate into a charge system?
Do you think it is possible in term of balance? Is it a good idea ?

Mophead4eyes

07-12-2012

Quote:
I want to jump in this thread to clear up a few misconceptions around this issue. A lack of communication on our end and a few misleading comments have caused a bulk of misinformation around the Xerath ult changes so I want to clarify what exactly happened and how we’re moving forward.

I’ll start by outlining how Arcane Barrage functioned previously, how it functions on live, and how it will function next patch.

Quick definitions
CastTime – This is the amount of time the champion is locked in place while casting a spell. An animation plays and you’ll see a bar fill up at the bottom of the screen.

FallTime – Not really a technical term but what I am deeming the time delay between the visual effect starting to appear (the green expanding ring) and the actual damage being applied (the exploding lightning bits)

TotalDelay – The ultimate delay between the button is pressed and when the damage is applied

TotalBarrageTime – The total time it takes to cast and land all 3 ultimates assuming no human or lag delay.

How Arcane Barrage functioned pre-change
CastTime = .25 seconds
FallTime = .25 seconds
TotalDelay = .5 seconds

How Arcane Barrage functions currently on Live
CastTime =.25 seconds
FallTime =.625 seconds
TotalDelay = .875 seconds
TotalBarrageTime = 1.375 seconds

How Arcane Barrage will function on Live
CastTime =.25 seconds
FallTime = .5 seconds (This now starts at the same time as the CastTime)
TotalDelay = .5 seconds

What has changed – There are two changes being made next patch.
1- The Falltime is being reduced to .5 seconds from .638 seconds.
2- The Falltime will start at the beginning of the cast bar instead of the end of the cast bar. This effectively shaves an additional .25 seconds from the time of button to the time on impact from the Live version.

Why did the changes in the Draven patch make the ultimate so difficult to land?
In short there was almost half a second delay added between when the opponent could see the ring and when it would impact. This would lead to opponents, especially those with upgraded boots or other movement speed increases to be able to walk out of the ultimate unless the placement was close to perfect. The goal with the initial change was to allow opponents the opportunity to react to the visual effect before getting damaged. Syncing up the visuals and the gameplay was a good change but we admit we went about it the wrong way and it caused unfair damage and frustration for Xerath players which is why we are making changes next patch.

What will this change ultimately (ha ha!) do for Xerath
- The timing for the Xerath player will behave identically to how it was pre-change.
o This will allow Xerath players who were used to the old timings to aim with the same feel and precision that they had previously learned.
o Xerath will be able to once again use his stun to combo with his ult as a reliable damage source
- And the visuals will now match the gameplay.
o The big problem with the pre-change effect is how the damage was applied to the enemy before the explosion occurred.
o Opponents should be able to react with appropriate instant cast counters such as spellshields or flash (or react quickly against poorly aimed Barrages). This is critical to counterplay and a healthy game experience as a whole.

I also want to formally apologize for our lack of clear information on this issue. Hopefully this cleared some things up. This will obviously not rule out the possibility for any future Xerath changes and the Live Team will continue to access his status post-changes. As the person working directly on the ultimate changes for next patch I can also answer additional questions on this issue.

TL : DR
- Xerath’s ultimate changes are coming next patch
- The time delay between Xerath hitting the button to the effect hitting will be changed to pre-change. This will allow Xerath to combo his abilities together like pre-Draven patch.
- The visual effect will continue to match when the damage is applied
- The only effective difference now to pre-Draven patch is a small visual window for the opponents to react with appropriate instant cast counters (such as Flash, spellshields etc)
- We will not be reverting the Xerath buffs from last patch
- Our apologies for the confusion and frustration that these changes have caused Xerath players
my soul can rest happy now
i love you
and thank you for the good you bring upon us.
Faith in riot restored +1

FourthLegion

07-12-2012

Quote:
things about what is basically an ult-specific revert
FeralPony, we Xerath players really appreciate this.

I think I'll be showing off a shiny new Scorched Earth Xerath as soon as it comes out, if this turns out to be correct.

WarlordAlpha

Recruiter

07-12-2012

Bumpage, gotta spread the good news