Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Should Jayce's lore be changed?

Yes 967 95.46%
No 46 4.54%
Voters 1013 .

Change Jayce's Lore before release

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skagwatcher

07-05-2012

One thing that i'm questioning are the other Zaunites. If Viktor's lab is in Zaun(which i assume it is) why would no other scientist try to stop some pretty boy Piltoverian in power armor? It seem reasonable that at least Dr.Mundo would stop Jayce let alone Singed or Warwick. That is also a plot hole needing to be filled.

Iralius

07-05-2012

Quote:
ninemile:
It isn't that Viktor had to steal from Jayce that upsets me about the lore. Its the complete overreaction in the rest of the story. Ok, so Viktor steals one of Jayce's designs. Sure, I see it. He needed some schematic of Jayce's for his energy ray or whatever, I don't have a problem with that.

But afterward, Jayce goes all crazy superhero, makes a hammer (HEY GUYS I INVENTED A HAMMER WITH A GUN IN IT, EVER SEEN THAT BEFORE???), and then goes and destroys Viktor's entire lab. And then when they confront each other, VIktor just walks out the back door, and then Jayce leaves AND RETURNS A HERO. For... what??

The whole thing is so stupid and cliched. How about Viktor kidnaps people from Piltover and experiments with augmentations on him? And one of them is Jayce's girlfriend/wife/friend? And how about when he confronts him, Jayce like, I don't know, crushes one of Vik's arms with his hammer, or Vik burns out one of Jayce's eyes with his laser? Something, anything, to make their rivalry make SENSE.

I feel like Graves and Twisted Fate have an interesting rivalry, one that makes Twisted Fate sort of come out like a bad guy. VIktor and Jayce's rivalry is stupid. Its like old, 50's style lex luthor and Superman. Pretty boy chases evil scientist and evil scientist gets away. Pretty boy is hero, everyone hates evil scientist. I mean COME ON.

I bet half the lore threads on this forum have better stories than this.

Let's take a look at your first complaint; the overreaction.

This could be considered a normal reaction to Jayce. Not everyone is going to react the same way to every situation. And given Jayce's believed worries, with good reason considering it was a Zaunite who stole his plans, I think the reaction can be constituted as 'normal'. He was worried that Viktor would weaponize his plans, something Viktor is good at along with robotics, and given Zaun's allegiance to Noxus use a plan that might have been benign for destructive purposes of war.

As to Viktor just 'casually leaving'... I would, too. I'm faced with an opponent, whose capabilities I barely know, with a weapon which I know even less about - I'm not going to risk my life going into a brawl against this guy. He's defeated my acolytes, who are close to being similarly augmented, and I have no time to prepare for a fight considering this was a surprise attack. Viktor can rebuild his lab, and maybe his acolytes... I don't think he'll be able to rebuild himself after taking that hammer to the head/chest.

As to returning a hero... I think if you swiped a lollipop from a Zaunite kid you'd be hailed as a hero in Piltover.

Their rivalry kind of makes sense as it is, even before the raids on their mutual labs they're both kind of paragons of two radically - and more than likely opposing - paths to achieving a similar goal.

Viktor believes humanity is weak, it's clear enough given the lore we have on him that he believes Machines are pure and the path to evolution - evolution being the path of natural adaptation and selection that facilitates survival (given so those who will argue this can't).

I'm going to guess that Jayce believes in the same goal - the betterment of society - but doesn't want to turn everyone into a sterilized, emotionless machine.

So Jayce would believe in natural humanity and defend it, knowing that people can do wrong but are ultimately good. Whereas, given both Viktor's birthplace/where he grew up and the experiences he had in life would believe that humanity is ultimately corrupt.

So, to me, I enjoy the this ideological rivalry more than a physical one. I'd personally be happier with lore that sets up such a rivalry minus the raids. Basically Jayce learning of Viktor's ideas and creating the hammer and joining the League as a way of trying to prove to Valoran that what Viktor's preaching is flawed. Be a hell of a lot more interesting that way.

Iralius

07-05-2012

Quote:
Skagwatcher:
One thing that i'm questioning are the other Zaunites. If Viktor's lab is in Zaun(which i assume it is) why would no other scientist try to stop some pretty boy Piltoverian in power armor? It seem reasonable that at least Dr.Mundo would stop Jayce let alone Singed or Warwick. That is also a plot hole needing to be filled.

This is assuming he was seen by another.

And even then, why would they care? It's not like Jayce marched into Zaun waving the freakin' flag of Piltover above his head.

Ask the Herald

07-05-2012

Quote:
HonorableGeneral:
You mean Revolution. Evolution takes millions of years. Revolution is a quick change. The two are opposites.

Well I'm going with Evolution because that's what Viktor says in-game.

HonorableGeneral

07-05-2012

Quote:
Ask the Herald:
Well I'm going with Evolution because that's what Viktor says in-game.

Interesting. Everyone I know seems to misquote it as Revolution, and with good reason.

I mean Viktor may be long-lived because of his augments but I doubt he's immortal. If an evolution is what he seeks, he may not be around long enough to see his work come to fruition.

Iralius

07-05-2012

Quote:
HonorableGeneral:
Interesting. Everyone I know seems to misquote it as Revolution, and with good reason.

I mean Viktor may be long-lived because of his augments but I doubt he's immortal. If an evolution is what he seeks, he may not be around long enough to see his work come to fruition.

The evolution is the shift from humanity to machine.

As in, outfitting people with the same augmentations that Viktor has.

Ask the Herald

07-05-2012

Bump for Glorious Evolution

BonBonTheFirst

07-06-2012

As a devoted Viktor Player in the fields of AP, Jungle, and AD, I fully support the change to Jayce's lore to shine a better light to the Machine Herald.

Ask the Herald

07-06-2012

Quote:
13DINO:
As a devoted Viktor Player in the fields of AP, Jungle, and AD, I fully support the change to Jayce's lore to shine a better light to the Machine Herald.

Relinquish the

I mean, pave the way!

Vertany

07-06-2012

Quote:
Ask the Herald:
I mean, pave the way!

With utmost efficiency.