Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Should Jayce's lore be changed?

Yes 967 95.46%
No 46 4.54%
Voters 1013 .

Change Jayce's Lore before release

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elementalos

07-03-2012

Quote:
s0le:
Aside from Jayce's lore making Viktor appear really out of character (which is pissing me off). There is also the issue that the whole situation that Jayce's lore is dealing with is pretty **** cliche.

I think that's sort of the point.

The character has a whole "80s saturday morning cartoon" vibe.

Carapachin

07-03-2012

Quote:
Ask the Herald:

Riot, leave Viktor alone. He was fine as a neutral individual just wanting to do his own thing. Don't make him some evil mastermind that has to rely on taking things from others to accomplish his goals.

Or at least make him an evil mastermind that relies on his own inventions to accomplish his goals.

SublimeHysteria

07-03-2012

I 100% support this.
I'm looking forward to Jayce, but Viktor is by far my favorite champion both in game and in lore. The fact that he went from being a brilliant scientist to Mojo Jojo makes me sad on a lot of different levels.

Stanwick's already known for stealing inventions. Make him the bad guy again. Honestly, what could Viktor possibly need from Jayce that he can't create himself?

NihilumCB

07-03-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=26491132#post26491132

and

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2316361

Stop being surprised that Viktor's a bad guy. We all knew it.

Vuther

07-03-2012

Fortunately, they're looking into the matter (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=26485827#26485827).

Ask the Herald

07-03-2012

Quote:
NihilumCB:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=26491132#post26491132

and

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2316361

Stop being surprised that Viktor's a bad guy. We all knew it.

Where the hell does everyone get their lore? While Viktor may have been rather narcissistic and egotistical when he was human, as the Machine Herald his only purpose is to bring about the "Glorious Evolution" and usher Valoran into an era where flesh is replaced by hextech augmentations.

How does that, in any way, paint him as "narcissistic" or "egotistical"? Yes, he's the one doing it, but take a listen to his in-game quotes

"My opponents need to be upgraded"

That's the only quote he has that refers to himself in the same sense as others, but there is no ego or narcissism whatsoever. The opponents need to be upgraded, which he says matter-of-fact.

NihilumCB

07-03-2012

What do you consider 'evil', then? I consider it to be a complete lack of emotion, and a determination to accomplish personal goals at the complete and utter expense of everyone else.

Just about sums up Viktor. He only set out in his pursuits because he was narcissistic and egotistical; he thinks he knows what's best for everyone. And aside from that, his lore states that he removed his own emotions, but his mind is still his own. Regardless of his quotes and personality, he's the one choosing to pursue this course.

Lethal Harmony

07-04-2012

Full support behind this movements. Change the lore!

Ask the Herald

07-04-2012

Quote:
NihilumCB:
What do you consider 'evil', then? I consider it to be a complete lack of emotion, and a determination to accomplish personal goals at the complete and utter expense of everyone else.

Just about sums up Viktor. He only set out in his pursuits because he was narcissistic and egotistical; he thinks he knows what's best for everyone. And aside from that, his lore states that he removed his own emotions, but his mind is still his own. Regardless of his quotes and personality, he's the one choosing to pursue this course.

What do you consider not evil? Because you just seem to be blindly painting Viktor into something that he has shown no definitive proof to be. What you present is heresay and subjective speculation, rather that cold, hard facts.

While it may be true that he only began his path out of some desire to settle his worth, he wanted to prove his worth as a Techmaturgist and so it led to him choosing to modify his body at the cost of his emotions and humanity. But does this make him a monster? No. Does it make him evil? Not necessarily.

I can't stand when narrow-minded ignoramuses like you throw around conjecture as if it was fact. Name one irrefutably evil thing that Viktor has done, I know you can't. He's neutral, at best. Not catering to the moral axis that most others would devote their lives to. He's a pioneer of progress, wanting nothing more than to improve Valoran so that it can reach a state where hextech has replaced flesh as the dominant factor in everyday life.

HonorableGeneral

07-04-2012

Quote:
NihilumCB:

Let's break this quote down, shall we?

"Complete lack of emotion" - Robots are not evil. Artificial intelligences are not evil. Not having emotion does not beget evil. Just as having emotion does not beget good: Hitler had plenty of emotion for Jewish people - hate. Look how that turned out.

"Determination to accomplish personal goals at the complete and utter expense of everyone else." - Someone didn't study economics. There is no free lunch. Whenever someone goes on the up-and-up, someone else is going on the down-and-down. While there are varying degrees of this, no one EVER would say that it's possible to accomplish a personal goal without there being a loser:

Want to lose weight? The fast food companies who used to serve you just lost out on profit.

Want to donate money to orphans? The businesses who you could have spent that money on are now going out of business, and the workers of those businesses are as homeless as orphans.

Want to promote clean energy? Watch as all the petroleum industry workers go out of jobs and have to go back to school to get a completely new set of skills to keep up with high-tech industry.

Newsflash, kid, there is no good. There is no evil. There's only what helps you and hurts you.