Jayce's background makes Viktor look like a hypocrite and a saturday morning villain.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

9Point

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
It isn't Jayce's opinion of himself, it's just a story about his particular moment of glory. The point is that some of his actions in the story can be seen as flaws that may hinder him in his future endeavors, though. Jayce is a hero at heart, but he's going to run into challenges and struggle along his journey.
Can i ask what challenges?
I mean there was all this talk of he is brash, and headstrong and went against the towns orders.

But he was rewarded. Thats not really a bad thing.
Just change the name from Vickor to anything anyone else


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dear Luxanna

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Yay!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frost Walrus

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
It isn't Jayce's opinion of himself, it's just a story about his particular moment of glory. The point is that some of his actions in the story can be seen as flaws that may hinder him in his future endeavors, though. Jayce is a hero at heart, but he's going to run into challenges and struggle along his journey.
The way it's written it's basically like "Well no one went along with MISTER AWESOME but they were TOTALLY WRONG and he teabagged USELESS MCVILLAINPANTS"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaella

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Hi everyone,

We’ve been keeping an eye on this thread today (and others about Jayce and Viktor), and now that we’ve had a chance to listen to you guys and contemplate your feedback, we wanted to jump in.

Let’s talk about Viktor and Jayce, as we envision them:

We’d like to evolve Viktor into a complex, tormented villain in the League of Legends story, but we also want him to remain the sympathetic – and possibly redeemable – character he’s established to be in his own lore. Tormented and obsessed with the superiority of machines, Viktor is on a slow descent into madness, and he seeks to push his “glorious evolution” – the transformation from man to machine – onto Runeterra at large. His confrontation with Piltover, a place he sees as weak (full of puny-minded scientists who could, after all, be “so much more”) was a step in this direction. The “acolytes” mentioned in Jayce’s bio were not random minions but in fact Zaunite humans Viktor has swayed to his cause (and augmented, of course, with “improvements”). Jayce stood against him, and such opposition is the first setback in Viktor’s plan – something he’ll have to overcome.

Unfortunately, within the storytelling constraints of a bio, we weren’t able to paint this nuanced picture of Viktor as we envision him.

Jayce’s bio is a story about Jayce. This is the way in which the humble inventor became a hero, but it’s also just the beginning of his journey. We wanted to hint at a lot of flaws he’s going to have to overcome: he’s brash, he has trouble with authority, and he’s more than a little arrogant. For example, from anyone’s perspective but his own, destroying Viktor’s lab in its entirety might have been overzealous. Secondly, Jayce ignored the warnings of the Piltover government to strike against Viktor alone, which speaks to his recklessness and arrogance. His actions had the greater good in mind: Jayce truly does embody Piltover’s focus on the purity of science and progress, and Viktor stands directly in opposition to those values. Jayce may have gotten a little bit lucky this time, though. Viktor underestimated Piltover, and thus underestimated Jayce. Things might not turn out so well for the Defender of Tomorrow the next time the two cross paths.

Overall, we want to set the stage for an epic struggle between our two paragons of science in Piltover and Zaun. After listening to your feedback today, we don’t think we quite accomplished that with Jayce’s bio. With that in mind, the Creative team is going to take a look at Jayce’s bio over the coming days and evaluate ways to improve it.

You might think a thread like this would be hard for us to read – but it’s actually incredibly rewarding to hear how passionate you all are about our characters and lore. Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback!
Now, I want to make a point here.

Making Viktor slide into a villainous role is fine

Making Jayce a hero who opposes him. Also fine.


The problem is that there is currently -zero- lore delivery system, and we really don't need much.

A condensed version of the JoJ would work even, what we need is to actually see Viktor's slide, actually hear about Jayce's flaws.

You can have these great ideas to show the characters moving in a certain direction

but they're absolutely worthless unless you are communicating that lore to the playerbase in some way

Thats why this whole thing started, all of a sudden Viktor is a villian for no reason as far as we can tell, and though you may have mad plans to make him one in the lore, you gave -us- no indication of that.

And until you start putting out lore somehow, all your ideas are simply a masturbatory fanfic.

It doesn't become lore to us unless its delivered to us as lore, i feel like you've forgotten that

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2316208


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elementalos

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Walrus View Post
The way it's written it's basically like "Well no one went along with MISTER AWESOME but they were TOTALLY WRONG and he teabagged USELESS MCVILLAINPANTS"
To me it sounds like the goal was to create something out of an 80s superhero cartoon. Which fits pretty well with the rest of Jayce's theme. But to throw that on Viktor like that makes the latter champion look bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Clueless PhD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
It isn't Jayce's opinion of himself, it's just a story about his particular moment of glory. The point is that some of his actions in the story can be seen as flaws that may hinder him in his future endeavors, though. Jayce is a hero at heart, but he's going to run into challenges and struggle along his journey.
I'm fascinated by the direction you want to take Viktor and Jayce.

I'm also saddened by the fact that, by current standards, that's a story that we'll never actually hear. I mean, you guys have this amazing, living world going on. But, we don't get to see it. We're not getting any of the stuff you guys are coming up with. Maybe Viktor is some amazing super-villain-esque figure in Runeterra, right now. I say maybe because WE DON'T KNOW. :/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeusVult

Member

07-03-2012

Need new lore department....

RIOT PLs


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unholyrath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Unfortunately, within the storytelling constraints of a bio, we weren’t able to paint this nuanced picture of Viktor as we envision him.
Maybe if there was some way to show more of a champion's past before they entered the league. Perhaps this would also allow said champion the ability to reflect on their past...

..Perhaps it could be some sort of judgement for the champion in order to enter the League....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Synthesse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrrion View Post
So basically
Viktor = Dr. Horrible
Jayce = Captain Hammer
from Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog?

And as for rivalries between city states, why nothing between Garen + Darius?
I want to see these skins. So bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

Member

07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Hi everyone,

We’ve been keeping an eye on this thread today (and others about Jayce and Viktor), and now that we’ve had a chance to listen to you guys and contemplate your feedback, we wanted to jump in.

Let’s talk about Viktor and Jayce, as we envision them:

We’d like to evolve Viktor into a complex, tormented villain in the League of Legends story, but we also want him to remain the sympathetic – and possibly redeemable – character he’s established to be in his own lore. Tormented and obsessed with the superiority of machines, Viktor is on a slow descent into madness, and he seeks to push his “glorious evolution” – the transformation from man to machine – onto Runeterra at large. His confrontation with Piltover, a place he sees as weak (full of puny-minded scientists who could, after all, be “so much more”) was a step in this direction. The “acolytes” mentioned in Jayce’s bio were not random minions but in fact Zaunite humans Viktor has swayed to his cause (and augmented, of course, with “improvements”). Jayce stood against him, and such opposition is the first setback in Viktor’s plan – something he’ll have to overcome.

Unfortunately, within the storytelling constraints of a bio, we weren’t able to paint this nuanced picture of Viktor as we envision him.

Jayce’s bio is a story about Jayce. This is the way in which the humble inventor became a hero, but it’s also just the beginning of his journey. We wanted to hint at a lot of flaws he’s going to have to overcome: he’s brash, he has trouble with authority, and he’s more than a little arrogant. For example, from anyone’s perspective but his own, destroying Viktor’s lab in its entirety might have been overzealous. Secondly, Jayce ignored the warnings of the Piltover government to strike against Viktor alone, which speaks to his recklessness and arrogance. His actions had the greater good in mind: Jayce truly does embody Piltover’s focus on the purity of science and progress, and Viktor stands directly in opposition to those values. Jayce may have gotten a little bit lucky this time, though. Viktor underestimated Piltover, and thus underestimated Jayce. Things might not turn out so well for the Defender of Tomorrow the next time the two cross paths.

Overall, we want to set the stage for an epic struggle between our two paragons of science in Piltover and Zaun. After listening to your feedback today, we don’t think we quite accomplished that with Jayce’s bio. With that in mind, the Creative team is going to take a look at Jayce’s bio over the coming days and evaluate ways to improve it.

You might think a thread like this would be hard for us to read – but it’s actually incredibly rewarding to hear how passionate you all are about our characters and lore. Thanks for your enthusiastic feedback!
The only thing I have a problem with:

Viktor is not a thief! A thieving liar had driven him to the brink such that it led to his evolution in the first place!

Can't he be more respectable than stealing blueprints/technology from other inventors despite knowing very well how drastic it can make people?


Also, was Viktor the one who tortured Warwick?