What is the current Meta Game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dezarius

07-03-2012

So I've been away for a few months. Got tired of the game, well, mostly attitudes. Adjusted mine some, and want to try again. Before I jump in and really stink up the joint, trying to figure out the current meta game.

I've only watched a few of Ocelote's streams, but one thing I've noticed is that everyone is starting with Boots and Healthx3 pots. When did this happen? Is it all about roam/gank now?

Help a guy out!

(And thanks in advance).

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2012

It's more or less because a champion with boots can generally kite and out harass a champion without boots. You'll usually see the support start with the 180 cost mana regen item and wards, and the top lane or jungle will occasionally go cloth + 5.

If the enemy jungler doesn't start boots and a laning champion does, it will make it easier for them to survive ganks early before the jungler buys boots.

Velpro

07-03-2012

Most people start boots/3Hpots for the sustain and early movement. And of course you can quickly add even more movement early game with Tier 2 boots making chasing/escaping a breeze if the enemy does not have boots yet.

The majority of AD carries will start with stacked Doran's Blades.

undead gman

07-03-2012

Quote:
The majority of AD carries will start with stacked Doran's Blades.
Personally I think this is a mistake. I play Kogmaw alot and I always get boots and 3 health pots. That way on my first recall I can go straight for the B.F. Sword instead of needing boots. Doing this I typically always outlane the opposing carries.

Dezarius

07-03-2012

Okay - so that's why the boots, and I can see they are a bit situational (role/champ dependent). Thanks!

Now - what is the current meta game?

Mango027

07-03-2012

typically its been,
Bruiser/duelist/tanky dps - top
Ap Carry - Mid
Ad Carry - bot
support - bot
Jungler
but there is some argument for a shifting meta.

Raldek

07-03-2012

Bottom lane's more about getting kills. AD Carry usually runs flash/ignite and support runs exhaust/flash.
In fact, flash/ignite are considered the best summoner spells in general, in response to nerfs to heal and such.

Aegrotat

07-03-2012

I still see the AD carry running flash/heal still, just for the extra survive.

As for a shifting meta game, if you're brawler/bruiser/tanky dps knows what they are doing REALLY well, it is possible to send an AD carry top, as it is very hard to play a normal top against ranged champs, but it's very situational and unless you're on purple, you are far from your red. Not to mention if your brawler doesn't know what they're doing they will get rolled bottom.

Other than that, what Mango said

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2012

In general:

Top lane: Bruiser (Tanky DPS, not usually full tank)
Jungle: Bruiser or Support/Tank (Usually plays like an underfarmed solo lane or does CC for the team)
Mid lane: AP mage or counter pick (Mages scale well with levels because their base damages increase. A champion like talon can be a great counter to a lot of mid lanes)
Bot lane: AD ranged + support OR Hard CC kill lane. (Usually bot is played ranged carry and 0 CS babysitter, but sometimes you'll see something like Leona + Jarvan or Blitzcrank + Alistar for kills)

It's important to note that in most cases it will be the responsibility of the top or jungle to initiate teamfights.

Quick Rawr

07-03-2012

Sorry that this is a rant post, but I'll just copy/paste my explanation of the current meta from a prior thread. Take it as you may and hopefully it's helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Rawr View Post

Putting a tanky DPS with sustain top lane is the best b/c they snowball so hard into late game (realize they can be tanky AD or AP DPS - Vlad/Morde work as well as others, morde due to shield for survivability in team fights). Whether they have strong burst or are quite tanky, they are a solid part of the teamfights for your team. They need to get their necessary items, and be able to take quite a few hits early game while farming up to their late game role with their expensive items.

AP Carries benefit the most from getting levels, moreso than the AD carries. The minions get to the center lane faster than any other place, thus fastest exp in the middle lane. By moving them elsewhere you're limiting their potential in a teamfight by maybe a level, which would make a big difference if it was lvl 10 vs lvl 11. You want to give them the maximum benefit, plus it's the closest spot to blue.

AD carries on the bottom lane puts them closest to dragon/jungle protection allowing them to invade jungle to help steal buffs as well as be right at the dragon. Also, they benefit more from items/gold than they do anything else. Putting them in the lane that's hardest to gank, with a support that allows them to farm as long and safely as possible, gives your team the greatest advantage.

Support - Necessary for your mid-late game. Usually one that is versatile solely b/c of their moves. Items built are to benefit the rest of your team (with gp5 speeding up the process of getting to those items) and also helping to sustain your AD carry in lane to get as much gold as possible while harassing the enemy and limiting their gold income.

Jungle - Necessary to have. Ganks allow your teammates to get ahead as the enemy either dies or has to back. Your team gets an exp benefit as well since another teammate is in the jungle. If you have a roamer, your team is missing out on gold/exp that could be had if you had a jungler. They need to have a gap closer/stun/burst or they are a waste of time on your team since they will appear in lane and give your teammates a few seconds prior to you then impeding the growth of your teammate and not being a benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike17032 View Post
Because not only is the meta not the only valid way to play, there are times when it isnt even the best. Bad players lean on the meta to prop up their lack of understanding and ability in the game.

The meta is a guide, not a set of rules. Bad players never understand the difference.
Quoted for truth. Counter picking and leaning to your strengths is still the most important. I'm simply stating WHY it is the way it is currently.
If you guys can think up something more effective, go for it. I 100% support the change.