What jungle champs should I try that play like amumu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xCry0x

07-02-2012

So I have unlocked lee sin, shaco, udyr, mundo & amumu as far as pure jungle champs go. Also have alistar, jax, cho'gath & master yi.

I have never really tried alistar, jax, cho or yi jungle but out of the other 5 amumu is the only one I enjoy playing. Currently when I am put into jungle roll amumu is the only one I can pick and expect to actually enjoy myself with. Every other lane I have champions I can play and have fun with.

I like that amumu transitions very well out of jungle due to the power of his ult in team fights and how he can do damage while building pure tank.

I do not like how lee sin, udyr & shaco all kind of fall off late game and only seem to do well if you get lots of ganks early. I also dislike lee sin & udyr because mele bruisers are apparently not my play style since I have yet to found one I really enjoy.

I feel like I need to get attack speed runes to really get the most out of mundo so I am holding judgement on that.

Based on these likes and dislikes I am guessing I enjoy playing a jungle that transitions strongly into a mid-late game tank/initiator.

I am thinking about picking up malphite as I played him a few times last week outside of jungle and had decent games. The other champions I am leaning towards would be naut, maokai & skarner since they seem like they all transition well to tanking late game.. problem is they are all 6,300IP champs so that is going to take a while to build up for if I am trying to fill out rune pages also now.

Any opinions on other tanky/initiator champs? Naturally I do not plan to run off and drop 6,300 ip on a champion I have never played, but if one of them goes into free week I would like to know I should focus on them a little and not just move on if my first game goes horribly.

-edit-

I excluded shen since I have yet to see a ranked game that he was not banned in =/

Shottymaster

07-02-2012

I haven't tried this, but apparently Jarvan jungles fairly well and has some useful CC for team fights. His Demacian Standard allows you to pull in and initiate fights and knock up enemies at the same time, and his ult is similar to Amumu's ult. Jarvan is a great off-tank champion that can initiate fights and lead the team into battle.

Jarvan is free next week so give him a try.

One more thing though - You said that Lee Sin, Udyr, and Shaco drop off late game. I have no experience with Udyr, but if Lee Sin and Shaco are dropping off late for you then you're doing it wrong.

Shaco relies on autoattacks more and more as the game progresses but that's perfectly fine since you have stealth and AS items scale perfectly into late game. Backstab lets you kill their Ashe or Karthus in under a second, and you have a pretty good AOE CC with your box.

Lee Sin is one of my main champions, so I can assure you that he does anything but drop off late game, jungle or not. His combo in mid- to late-game can and will instagib squishy champions as long as he doesn't get CC'd. He also can be built very tanky and still deal solid damage due to high base damage stats, but is better with mostly AD items because the ratios on his skills are simply amazing.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2012

You can get malphite (1350 IP). He is one of my favorite junglers depending on the circumstances. I have a 100% win rate as jungle malphite on my alternate account in ranked games. Your ganks are pretty darn dumb when you get level 6.

Malphite plays the most like amumu in the jungle, of all the champions I've jungled (which is quite a few).

xCry0x

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shottymaster View Post
I haven't tried this, but apparently Jarvan jungles fairly well and has some useful CC for team fights. His Demacian Standard allows you to pull in and initiate fights and knock up enemies at the same time, and his ult is similar to Amumu's ult. Jarvan is a great off-tank champion that can initiate fights and lead the team into battle.

Jarvan is free next week so give him a try.

One more thing though - You said that Lee Sin, Udyr, and Shaco drop off late game. I have no experience with Udyr, but if Lee Sin and Shaco are dropping off late for you then you're doing it wrong.

Shaco relies on autoattacks more and more as the game progresses but that's perfectly fine since you have stealth and AS items scale perfectly into late game. Backstab lets you kill their Ashe or Karthus in under a second, and you have a pretty good AOE CC with your box.

Lee Sin is one of my main champions, so I can assure you that he does anything but drop off late game, jungle or not. His combo in mid- to late-game can and will instagib squishy champions as long as he doesn't get CC'd. He also can be built very tanky and still deal solid damage due to high base damage stats, but is better with mostly AD items because the ratios on his skills are simply amazing.

I am not trying to start a discussion about the merits of playing lee sin.

Being a bruiser means you need considerably more defensive stats than an AP or AD carry in order to live in a fight long enough to do damage. You in turn do less damage or are a glass cannon that has no range and gets squished if looked at. I stated that these are not champions I enjoy playing. I understand you enjoy lee sin, that is great, I do not.

Naturally tanky champions like mundo, cho'gath, malphite etc on the other hand can build basically pure tank and still do damage because of their innate abilities.

Cho'gath is a great example of this, you can build rod of ages and with that alone hit around 3,700hp at lvl 18 with an aoe silence that does a few hundred damage, an aoe knock up and a high damage true damage ult. Add in a negatron cloak and a chain mail and he is a tank with next to no money spent.

Mundo is the same, warmongs gives you 3,700 hp and you do not need any ad items unless you feel like a atmas because his E gives you +100 damage on a spammable cooldown and a bonus 1AD for every 1% hp missing while his W active gives a 95dmg/sec aoe and his Q does 5 hp.

Malphite, similar with strong initiate ult, amumu similar, naut similar to cho etc.

xCry0x

07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post
You can get malphite (1350 IP). He is one of my favorite junglers depending on the circumstances. I have a 100% win rate as jungle malphite on my alternate account in ranked games. Your ganks are pretty darn dumb when you get level 6.

Malphite plays the most like amumu in the jungle, of all the champions I've jungled (which is quite a few).
Cool thanks, the first malphite game I had I went bot support and ended up going like 6-0 early game and snowballed out of control. Seemed like a lot of fun but never had the chance to play him jungle.

Skidochufada

07-02-2012

Sejuani is free next week, and is definitely worth a go.

Other ideas are Nautilus, Shen, Rammus and Volibear. They're all a bit expensive, so next time they're free, give them a try.