Ranged DPS Janna!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Polygon

01-06-2010

I think Janna gets more out of a build called "Aggressive Janna" more than DPS Janna.

First off, you need 1 rank in both Q and R as soon as you can. I always start the game with the E buff, use it to flush the bushes with your partner. (+100hp and +24 dmg is HUGE at lvl 1)

My next rank taken is in either Q or W. Q if the enemy pushes hard, W if they hang back.

The next agenda is getting Mana. My initial Meki + 2 potions quickly becomes Meki + Regrowth + Meki + Meki + Meki.

From here I grow W first, with E follower, then Q 2-5 and finally R 2-3.

Spam those spells. Set up a Q and wait, then just before it fires, rush in so it passes you and hit the enemy with both the whirlwind and W, and remember to E yourself just prior to launching. Then drop Ignite and its a sure kill.

Upgrade the Meki's into Tome's for 30% cd next, get rank 1 boots upgrading to rank 3's later.

Once here, you are squishy. Get a Giants Belt.

The Tome's can then be upgraded to Deathfire and Nashors for the 40% CD, or you can play around with your runes/masteries to get some CD there instead, just get to 40%.

Once you are there, if you have not won, upgrade to a Warmogs or Frozen Mallet and you will no longer be so squishy.

By now you have Boots 3, 2 CD/Mana items and 1 Tank/Regen item and possibly Frozen Mallet.

NOW you get some DPS items. Attack speed is very friendly on you.

Use your buff on melee's who get focused alot, but do high DPS and your work will be highly effective. The damage shield covers them for around 300 hps and refreshes every 7,2 seconds @ 40% CD, thats not counting the +42 damage pr. blow.

If things are going well, you will get focused ALOT as it becomes clear how much you contribute to pushes. This is good, as your movement will be 480+ and you can simply outrun most gank attempts while your team takes out the tower/thos that stay.

You will/should find that you die very rarely, chases like a god and is able to push towers very well, as your whirlwinds ensure your creeps keep winning, without disturbing you from hitting the tower for around 120 dps without anything but your E buff. (plus, you can stay for a tower hit or two, due to the shield)

You Do have to be pretty quick on the buttons though, as you have to rebuff frequently, skill target Q's and spam W even when farming. Your collective DPS will be quite high, even with just CD and + mana regen items.

thegamenet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-07-2010

this is a good guide - I added it to the Lol wiki - gave you full credit.

Nice work

Perilya

03-21-2010

I take Nashor's Tooth early, either before or after boots (usually beserkers). Even an attack Janna should be able to be good support and the 25 CD reduction is awesome for healing your group attacks more often. Equally importantly you can disrupt so much with HG on faster cooldown that you can ruin enemy attacks, fight great defensive actions and almost always get away. Shielding more often when getting hit also has it uses.

After that I take bloodthirster and inf edge.

Taking Nashor's that early makes you a great early to mid stage trouble maker.

Gambuto

11-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowdown View Post
Physical Janna is worst fail ever.

Her spells scale so dam well with AP and with only 25% cooldown reduktion you get so short cooldowns, that it is a shame to EVER go physical! Plus your suport ability went to sero, as Shield and Ulti-Heal do scale very well with AP too.

Nashor's is the only item with little more AS you should ever buy for her. Well, Sheen but only to make it a Lich Bane.

Tornado, auto attack (100% AP bonus), shield, auto attack (100% AP bonus), slow, auto attack (100% AP bonus).

Slow has a 0.9 multiplier for AP which is very good, Tornado I belive 0.8.
So as soon as you reach 300++ AP you start to rock!

Again: Phyiscal Janna = mega fail!
you got a point, but its just fun to play her as AD and still contribute with support skills

you still have a slow and 2 knock ups

Polymath

11-12-2010

I saw a Janna do this with Manamune and Bloodthirster the other day. It worked surprisingly well.

Terchio

11-12-2010

Good guide overall. I'd suggest Boots of Swiftness for sick speed, as the extra speed will be put to good use with speed boosts from her passives and Phantom Dancer. Beside that, right on the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
I'm wondering if Monsoon might not be worth picking up just for the ability to knock enemies around. Especially if laning with a team mate, knocking him back away from your creeps so you can both wail on him as he tries to run back (hopefully with dual disables even) would = a kill every cooldown if done right. Just a suggestion, I've only played support Janna so haven't tried this myself.
It's actually typically a great idea to get one level of monsoon early, just as he did it. Maybe not lvl 2 until lvl 17, but early monsoon can get you out of trouble when a CC latches onto you and you can't kite as usual. Just a li'l insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
I think Janna gets more out of a build called "Aggressive Janna" more than DPS Janna.
True for most non-DPS characters that don't count on killing from a range, and Janna isn't counted on killing by any means (unless DPS.) However, she has better natural synergy with her auto-attack than most DPS get:

1. Up to 50 extra damage on an attack that isn't that far behind DPS naturally, like Ashe.
2. The 3rd strongest slow that lasts 4 seconds in the game. The others that beat it are Karthus and Zilean, both of which deal no damage with the spells. You buff her spells, you damage the opponent in a split second, and deal weak damage through the duration of the slow. You get DPS, you'll deal consistant damage throughout, and you can even tag a Howling Gale for an extra shot in the end.
3. A shield that if the opponent does decide to turn and fight, you won't likely take so much damage from it. Or you could AP it and turn 'n' run while the slow duration goes on. Your choice there.

Janna is not a good caster. She gets credit for this left and right, but the only thing that gets her this credit is her ability to change a teammate DPS master into a god, and that doesn't even require AP. If you want, change your ally into a DPS god, then deal fair damage yourself to keep opponents focused on something other than your precious god. On AP, you're more likely waiting for that next gale to get off cooldown.

Terchio

11-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergencia View Post
I don't mean to be a ******, but why play janna as carry when she's clearly underpowered compared to any other carry?
She is underpowered as a carry because players look at her, and clearly a wind mage can't carry. That and her shield can be put on other characters while you CC them kills. However, You don't get that good DPS, or the DPS decides he doesn't like working as a team, and you will go downhill fast. There is no leash keeping him there, so you shouldn't count on him so highly, and that's Janna's demise. She, unlike most supports, truly helps only a small niche of players, and so she wants to hang around those characters. Meanwhile, you are probably draining exp from that player as they farm and overall just kind of cheer as support, with a li'l CC thrown in.

Think about all the ranged carries, for a moment. Ashe's only skill that improves her damage would be her passive, which only increases as she doesn't attack! Her boost is that she gets to spam a skill that in effect spurts off another attack quickly. Tristana gets up to 90% attack speed for a limited time, which is around 2000-2500 worth attack speed. Janna gets 50 dmg, which is only 1850 worth, but the cooldown lasts as long as the spell does, and shields as well. TF gets 30% attack speed permanent with 15% CDR I believe... not so great. Kog'Maw gets sick damage, but I'm skipping him because he's far overpowered as a character at the moment. In any case, a natural ranged DPS is hard to come by. They have to build into the DPS through items anyway, and Janna gets stronger somewhat quicker than those characters. The thing she lacks is the ability to deal with large teams, in that she is highly frail and has little CC that actually stops attacks/spellcasting.

tehmeep

01-13-2011

This sounds fantastic. I love Janna. I'm normally very uncomfortable with DPS because they are so slow and I'm definetly a runner. But I guess with all her pushing I don't need to swap attack speed for movement speed? So trying this. Not that I've lost many games with my usual Janna build (all speed and crits- with the eye and 2.0 attacks a sec, it gets pretty nasty pretty quick xD), but this should speed the process dramatically.

Thanks for sharing!

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

Holy **** guys. Quit Necroing these old threads. This build is literally years old. Let it die already.

Ballenzak

08-14-2011

WHAT?!

You will be ignoring Eye of the Storm most of the time? At lvl 5, it gives you 48 free damage.. That's more than a B.F. Sword... Okay seriously, if you're playing Janna DPS, then at least see the use of the shield