Would you enjoy this solo queue modification?

Yes 158 77.45%
No 46 22.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Possible idea for making solo queue less stressful!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ninjagear

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesocold View Post
the idea of pairing players that can "gel" into a more acceptable team vs. getting one team filled with one role players that do the same role? ... I'm not saying match the teams to the meta ... try to balance a team based on what people want to play so that you don't have a team ... who will never touch a support or tank champ in their life ... It would not force the current meta but would encourage a team that can play more than 2 or 3 roles ... The reason for this is ... there are many players who will back out/troll if they don't get their role. So this will hopefully space them out amongst the teams so that the more sensible players can adjust to their "special" player's needs ... they will have had a chance to adapt.
unfortunately asking people to choose roles DOES force a meta. what if i only play assassins? what if i think having an assassin on the team is mandatory? will there be a slot to choose 'assassin' on your roster? or will i be forced into one of the other roles u outlined in your OP? what if i feel jungle is a broken meta and roaming was much stronger? what if jungling against a certain team comp is a bad idea? having a jungler then is a liability, imo. what if i want to galio mid? then we have no slot for an 'ap carry'. i can go on and on with this. champ select is there for a reason. its there so you can coordinate what you are going in with before you go in.

i understand you feel frustration when no one picks what you think is best for the team. but freedom comes with a price bro. end of story. if you want the freedom to do what you think is right you HAVE to give everyone else that freedom too. just cause your mad and you think that a problem you have is some sort of widespread issue with the system does not make it so.

BOTTOM LINE IS YOU NEVER HAVE TO ENTER A GAME YOU DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE PLAYING.

dont try to put that responsibility in riots hands, that makes things worse for everyone.

P.S. its Elo, not ELO. its someones last name, not an acronym.

BigTallUgly

09-18-2012

No no you could always pick assassin. You would just wait for a long time. But yeah.

My problem with this suggestion, really, is that it won't stop the little kids that currently feed from feeding. I mean, I just had 3 kids all call top mid and adc, and then all three fed 0/10. Their reaction upon my asking them to stop feeding was, as usual, entirely inadequate.

So this suggestion really wouldnt help too much.

Shesocold

09-18-2012

BigTallGuy, it won't stop the feeding but instead of all 3 feeders being on your team only one or 2 would while the other one or 2 would be on the other team because there's a high chance they only would choose one role they would want to play.

ninjagear, as far as you wanting to play assassin that is pretty much a carry role in just about every situation because you build so that you can get in burst someone down then leave. Also the names are roles are not set in stone, I stated APcarry AD carry etc. to make the point that selection would be based off of your role and positioning on the map instead of playing a certain champion or by selecting melee or ranged assassin and those extra tags Riot has added that are sometimes mistaken or do not differentiate champions such as a melee compared to a fighter.
And as far as forcing the meta, no one is forcing you to play what you selected you still have the ability to discuss what your team wants to play. This idea would just try to balance out what people wanted to play so that you don't have a team of as BigTallUgly just had 3 people that will only play AD carry and no other role.
And this definitely wouldn't change the chat in the pre-game lobby because it would only match up players that have a larger selection of roles that people can play (maybe not every role but not 5 players that only play the same role) so you still need to communicate what each person would need to play to balance the team how the team sees fit. Not even to mention that in high Elo you also have to worry about making a cohesive team comp on top of balancing it.

MrCurler

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
Why cant you win with 2 AD carries or 3 AD carries? Ive won with 3 AD carries, ive lost to 3 AD carries
3 ad carries? Whats Armor? plz understand that above 1400 elo it really does matter if you play wierd champions compositions. often i lose ranked games in the champion selection. if you can lose a a game because your top lane counterpicks himself, how is ashe going to fare against a darius? and how is graves going to fare against a zyra mid? Meta is popular for a reason, it is the mold that gives the highest chance of success. sure u can win without a jungler, but is it going to make it easier to win?
no it wont.

MrCurler

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagear View Post
unfortunately asking people to choose roles DOES force a meta. what if i only play assassins? what if i think having an assassin on the team is mandatory? will there be a slot to choose 'assassin' on your roster? or will i be forced into one of the other roles u outlined in your OP? what if i feel jungle is a broken meta and roaming was much stronger? what if jungling against a certain team comp is a bad idea? having a jungler then is a liability, imo. what if i want to galio mid? then we have no slot for an 'ap carry'. i can go on and on with this. champ select is there for a reason. its there so you can coordinate what you are going in with before you go in.

i understand you feel frustration when no one picks what you think is best for the team. but freedom comes with a price bro. end of story. if you want the freedom to do what you think is right you HAVE to give everyone else that freedom too. just cause your mad and you think that a problem you have is some sort of widespread issue with the system does not make it so.

BOTTOM LINE IS YOU NEVER HAVE TO ENTER A GAME YOU DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE PLAYING.

dont try to put that responsibility in riots hands, that makes things worse for everyone.

P.S. its Elo, not ELO. its someones last name, not an acronym.
It doesnt mean that you are locked into playing adc, but what if you could say on your profile (i like adc bot). then it matched you up with people that liked to play mid and support and jungle and top, but continued with the regular champ selection. that way, you are less likely to have someone who mains ADC on your team with you. does that sound that bad?

Shesocold

09-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCurler View Post
It doesnt mean that you are locked into playing adc, but what if you could say on your profile (i like adc bot). then it matched you up with people that liked to play mid and support and jungle and top, but continued with the regular champ selection. that way, you are less likely to have someone who mains ADC on your team with you. does that sound that bad?
It does sound a little bit bad because it would make the meta of a support, ADC, AP carry, Jungler, and solo top bruiser a standard for the game where as this idea tries to balance out the flexibilty of an entire team's players so that you have more players with more roles available to discuss and plan on during team selection.

BigTallUgly

09-19-2012

Quote:
3 ad carries? Whats Armor? plz understand that above 1400 elo it really does matter if you play wierd champions compositions. often i lose ranked games in the champion selection. if you can lose a a game because your top lane counterpicks himself, how is ashe going to fare against a darius? and how is graves going to fare against a zyra mid? Meta is popular for a reason, it is the mold that gives the highest chance of success. sure u can win without a jungler, but is it going to make it easier to win?
no it wont.

Honestly, dude, I'm at 1350 on both my accounts right now, and I can say it really doesn't matter if you go into a game with 3 adc's, as long as they actually know what they are doing. Its a little shocking how bad some of the people are who get into that elo range simply because they got carried in one or two games and shot up to 1400. Then you see them in lane like the gp I was topping against last night, underleveled, not farming, and just buying gp10's, and getting killed the minute they come back to lane.

So yeah. Maybe there is some magical elo range where 10 out of the 10 people actually know whats going on, but its definitely not in the vicinity of silver.

Selcopa

09-19-2012

Quote:
3 ad carries? Whats Armor? plz understand that above 1400 elo it really does matter if you play wierd champions compositions.
If you looked me up, you might of realized I understand what goes on above 1400.

I recently won a match with 4 AP champions in the 1800s, while I dont recommend the strategy, the idea that you HAVE to play a way is bogus, you can easily catch a team off guard with unconventional set ups and steamroll games.

As far as 3 AD carries, its all about getting super late game, AD carry is the strongest role in the game, if the game goes late enough it becomes all about the AD carry, having 2 in late game means you win fights so much more because they cant focus both down.

To protect 3 AD carries you just have to think how you would do it, its actually pretty simple, Janna+Udyr(with a randuins), if the game is late enough you will have enough time to mow down their front line and destroy the rest of the team, is it the best strategy? Maybe not, but if you look at the enemy team and you see a team that the strategy could work, you should have the right to do it.

Quote:
often i lose ranked games in the champion selection.
If this is the case, then you are not skilled enough for your elo.
Quote:
sure u can win without a jungler, but is it going to make it easier to win?
no it wont.
In some cases yes it will, its up to the players to decide when those cases apply to them.

Shesocold

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
If you looked me up, you might of realized I understand what goes on above 1400.

I recently won a match with 4 AP champions in the 1800s, while I dont recommend the strategy, the idea that you HAVE to play a way is bogus, you can easily catch a team off guard with unconventional set ups and steamroll games.

As far as 3 AD carries, its all about getting super late game, AD carry is the strongest role in the game, if the game goes late enough it becomes all about the AD carry, having 2 in late game means you win fights so much more because they cant focus both down.

To protect 3 AD carries you just have to think how you would do it, its actually pretty simple, Janna+Udyr(with a randuins), if the game is late enough you will have enough time to mow down their front line and destroy the rest of the team, is it the best strategy? Maybe not, but if you look at the enemy team and you see a team that the strategy could work, you should have the right to do it.

If this is the case, then you are not skilled enough for your elo.

In some cases yes it will, its up to the players to decide when those cases apply to them.
Please get this through your guys' heads. IT WILL NOT MATCH TEAMS BASED OFF OF THE META BUT INSTEAD BY A GROUP'S FLEXIBILITY AND DOES NOT LOCK THAT PLAYER INTO THEIR PREFERRED ROLE. And yes unconventional team comps can pay off but if you get 4 AP carries that will refuse to play anything else and the enemy team picks up Galio and Veigar to counter you half way through your picks it would probably be smart to reconsider what you are doing. And this would would mean that there is a higher chance that those other players can play something other than AP carry.

Selcopa

09-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesocold View Post
Give players the ability to choose a perferred role such as AP carry, AD carry, Support, Tank, Jungler etc. and have a system try to connect them with appropriate teamates, then after a short time (maybe 2 minutes give or take) have them matched with a group that is somewhat balanced (not all AD carries). This would make the queue time slightly longer but would make solo queue games much less stressful. But yes some people could abuse the system by saying they will support then auto locking an AD carry but they would've done that anyways and this gives regular players a chance to balance their team so we see less 4 to 23 kill games and more 15 to 19 kill games.

Anyone else like this idea or want to add anything?

EDIT1: Additional information that was thought up during this threads existence. The program would not match according to the meta but instead would try to balance a team based off of what is available. Ex) 40% of queued players want to play support, so there would be an average of 2 supports per team. And players could be given the ability to select as many roles as they feel comfortable playing in a game.

EDIT2: Possibly add a level minimum so that new players must face the need to change to meet the needs of their team, and if they fail to learn that skill then at a certain level this can be introduced to provide the players that have learned to adapt a chance to play with more than just those "one role" players who never tried to learn more than their favorite role.

EDIT3: READ THIS!!!!! Matching would NOT be based off of the META!! Said it before but still getting people complaining about this.

EDIT4: The roles I gave as examples in the description are just examples. So quite complaining about this forcing the Meta this would be to distribute the more versatile players so that each team has more flexibility than 4 people saying mid or leave.

EDIT5: IT WILL NOT MATCH BASED OFF THE META BUT INSTEAD BY A GROUP'S FLEXIBILITY. I feel stupid for having to continue to repeat this...
Your example sucks then, first off no one wants to play with 2 supports on their team, while I want to play support, I dont want to play support if someone else is playing support, but i dont want to play something other than support, you can try to spin it anyway you want, but you still are trying to balance teams around some sort of meta