Would you enjoy this solo queue modification?

Yes 158 77.45%
No 46 22.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Possible idea for making solo queue less stressful!

1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaawn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesocold View Post
Give players the ability to choose a perferred role such as AP carry, AD carry, Support, Tank, Jungler etc. and have a system try to connect them with appropriate teamates, then after a short time (maybe 2 minutes give or take) have them matched with a group that is somewhat balanced (not all AD carries). This would make the queue time slightly longer but would make solo queue games much less stressful. But yes some people could abuse the system by saying they will support then auto locking an AD carry but they would've done that anyways and this gives regular players a chance to balance their team so we see less 4 to 23 kill games and more 15 to 19 kill games.

Anyone else like this idea or want to add anything?

EDIT1: Additional information that was thought up during this threads existence. The program would not match according to the meta but instead would try to balance a team based off of what is available. Ex) 40% of queued players want to play support, so there would be an average of 2 supports per team. And players could be given the ability to select as many roles as they feel comfortable playing in a game.
This has been discussed as a suggestion for a LONG time. I made a big detailed post about it awhile ago...I'll go find it and post it here.

Jaawn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2012

...here is the post I made about it almost 2 years ago. Riot Codemaster replied to it on the first page: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=357678

BigTallUgly

09-16-2012

Quote:
Give players the ability to choose a perferred role such as AP carry, AD carry, Support, Tank, Jungler etc. and have a system try to connect them with appropriate teamates, .

Here's a better idea. Get rid of support role and, like in Smite, judge elo gains and losses based on gold gained and contribution to team fights. You feed and dont make gold, you get dropped like a sack of **** in elo. Even if you luck out and get carrried.

That would make solo queue less stressful for me.

Shesocold

09-16-2012

I see the similarities, your idea follows the meta too strictly which I think is it's main problem. Becasue as you stated in EDIT 3: it would take longer for a more popular role. With this idea it would try to balance it so that you don't have 4 people that want to play support on one team and 4 people that want to play ADC on one team. It also tries to distribute the team based on the champions vs their role. This would be a major problem if someone wanted to play AD ahri, yes I've done it and it's not half bad, because the game would assume Ahri was going to play AP carry or AP bruiser. And this idea has been tossed around a lot more then I had previously thought when I thought it up after a frustrating game.

To Recap for any Riot Staff that might think this is the same as yours,
Differences:
-role based not champion based
-does not try to make a perfectly balanced team = non-extended Queue Times
-additionally setting a level restrictment of 1-29 makes it more difficult for new players to experiment and instead sets them into a set role that they don't want to change from and once they reach ranked games they'll be in the "one role" mindset because that's all they would ever queue for. Because they never had a chance to experiment with playing multiple roles because of what a team needed. So if anything i would put a level minimum on this function.

Shesocold

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTallUgly View Post
Here's a better idea. Get rid of support role and, like in Smite, judge elo gains and losses based on gold gained and contribution to team fights. You feed and dont make gold, you get dropped like a sack of **** in elo. Even if you luck out and get carrried.

You can't remove the support role without undermining many of the game's champion that have already been released.

Jaawn

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTallUgly View Post

This would encourage kill-stealing. Right now KSing is benign, it doesn't hurt someone's rank or anything. In a system like you described it WOULD affect ranks and what not. For it to work, you'd have to divide the kill gold evenly among all assistants and not give extra to the person who got the last hit.

edit: there would still be an issue though, because someone could sit outside a fight, then jump in and get last hit or a hit JUST before someone dies....they wouldn't really be assisting but they would get gold AND reduce the gold of others all at once.

Jaawn

09-16-2012

Quote:
I see the similarities, your idea follows the meta too strictly which I think is it's main problem. Becasue as you stated in EDIT 3: it would take longer for a more popular role. With this idea it would try to balance it so that you don't have 4 people that want to play support on one team and 4 people that want to play ADC on one team. It also tries to distribute the team based on the champions vs their role. This would be a major problem if someone wanted to play AD ahri, yes I've done it and it's not half bad, because the game would assume Ahri was going to play AP carry or AP bruiser. And this idea has been tossed around a lot more then I had previously thought when I thought it up after a frustrating game.

To Recap for any Riot Staff that might think this is the same as yours,
Differences:
-role based not champion based
-does not try to make a perfectly balanced team = non-extended Queue Times
-additionally setting a level restrictment of 1-29 makes it more difficult for new players to experiment and instead sets them into a set role that they don't want to change from and once they reach ranked games they'll be in the "one role" mindset because that's all they would ever queue for. Because they never had a chance to experiment with playing multiple roles because of what a team needed. So if anything i would put a level minimum on this function.
Mine wasn't strict, I offered examples of BOTH champion-based AND role-based solutions. A level restriction makes sense, mine was geared toward solo queue with the intention of branching out to normal queue with whatever tweaks are necessary so that has an inherent level restriction.

I also offered a solution for the champion-based option where you select a champion, and then select from a set of "reasonable" roles. AD ahri might be an option after selecting ahri. If the system reached a high level of sophistication, it could offset AD ahri with AD bruisers/AD junglers since she wouldn't provide quite the dmg of a "true" ad carry.

I think the basic idea is the same though: queue based on roles somehow. The rest of the details would be relatively easy to iron out through skilled player feedback and testing.

Shesocold

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaawn View Post
Mine wasn't strict, I offered examples of BOTH champion-based AND role-based solutions. A level restriction makes sense, mine was geared toward solo queue with the intention of branching out to normal queue with whatever tweaks are necessary so that has an inherent level restriction.

I also offered a solution for the champion-based option where you select a champion, and then select from a set of "reasonable" roles. AD ahri might be an option after selecting ahri. If the system reached a high level of sophistication, it could offset AD ahri with AD bruisers/AD junglers since she wouldn't provide quite the dmg of a "true" ad carry.

I think the basic idea is the same though: queue based on roles somehow. The rest of the details would be relatively easy to iron out through skilled player feedback and testing.
Sorry I didn't see the part about roles, all I saw was selecting your champion. But still though selecting your champion ahead of time, regardless of whether it's locked or not will not benefit the calculations of the system because if it tried to match a good team comp then the program is deciding what champions work better together than others. Whereas if you only try to balance the roles or the number of multi-role people you still have people that believe in certain team comps that bring an x-factor to the team balancing. and that si communicating with eachother about who they should each play to compliment their teamates.

Selcopa

09-17-2012

the reason this idea works in WoW and not LoL is because WoW is scripted encounters, to be successful in leaheu you need to be very adaptive, if you are comfortable in any situation your elo will rise compared to someone who can only do a few things.

There are too many factors to have certain roles, sometimes a certain pick or ban changes the entire strategy for the team, what initially was a team fight comp suddenly changes to a poke comp because poke became a better strategy to use.

I've had games where we started our picking janna graves jayce, after seeing the enemy picks, we changed our entire strategy and picked taric nunu, running janna in a 1v2 scenario, jayce mid, and 2v1 top, top lane, the enemy team was unable to adapt to the change, they anticipated a strategy and we capitalized on it, this kind of move simply doesn't happen when you force roles in the way you describe.

I recently had a game as amumu, I planned on running Azingys build(3x dorans sunfire abyssal), 5 minutes into the match I realized my strategy of attacking there carry with that damage build would not be the best for that game, I switched to triple gp10 suppport style amumu and we won the match, having set roles does not work, you have to be fluid as a player and determine the best strategy without set "roles" other than the role of contributing to the win

BigTallUgly

09-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaawn View Post
This would encourage kill-stealing. Right now KSing is benign, it doesn't hurt someone's rank or anything. In a system like you described it WOULD affect ranks and what not. For it to work, you'd have to divide the kill gold evenly among all assistants and not give extra to the person who got the last hit.

edit: there would still be an issue though, because someone could sit outside a fight, then jump in and get last hit or a hit JUST before someone dies....they wouldn't really be assisting but they would get gold AND reduce the gold of others all at once.
Base kills off of total damage done, not the very last bit like it is now.

Also, dc-ing in a ranked game should carry a much stiffer penatly than is currently does (none).

The support champs, in my opinion, could all be reworked slightly to change how they work. I see no problem with some champions dealing damage but also passively providing heals to teammates or something. Kind of like heimerdinger.

Quite frankly, we all know the support role is based around doing basically nothing. Which is just bad gameplay design to begin with.

1234567 ... 13