Would you enjoy this solo queue modification?

Yes 158 77.45%
No 46 22.55%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Possible idea for making solo queue less stressful!

12345612 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shesocold

07-09-2012

Yeah an example of how it could be laid out could be you choose solo queue
Preferred role:
AD carry
AP carry
Jungler
Bruiser
Support
Tank
No preference
and then give the player the ability to choose as many options as they think they can play. and try to make them distribute the numbers of each role as well as they can. So if 40% of players want to play Support there will be an average of 2 supports per team and etc.

Shesocold

07-26-2012

No please don't die idea! I had a bad game again yesterday :'(

hoodlom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2012

The role that all hell runs loose around is support. Queues would take forever waiting for people that will voluntarily support.

FightintheShade

07-30-2012

This worked great for LFG in wow, and I wish it would work here. I actually main support now because when I started playing ranked I got sick of people *****ing and picking a role that's already been taken pretty much immediately. Unfortunately the specific champion picks are very important.

When most people say "top pls" they almost always mean "I want to play x champ (and I'm selfish and not a team player)" If their champ gets countered, then it's a bad game even if they are good with their champ and know top lane well, and their second favorite champ may be an AP mid. There are also a lot of overlap, like top malph turning into tank or bruiser after lane phase, or jungle ali turning into support or tank after lane phase.

Not only would it replace one problem with another, it would reinforce the mentality of not being a team player just like LFG did. I'd rather have a bit of chaos during selection and encourage the communication.

Shesocold

08-01-2012

Hoodlom. It wouldn't follow the meta. The program could use what it was given to balance the teams so that you don't have 4 players on a team that only play AD carry. So like I said before, if 40% of the players in queue want to play support then the program would try to average them out so each team has an average of 2 supports.

FightintheShade. I'll admit it's a pretty raw idea. I just want to get the idea out there and hopefully to Riot's eyes. I get what you mean by people playing one champion but if that's all they know then you would be just as screwed if you got matched with them anyways. The program as I said earlier could give several role options and give you the ability to choose as many as you feel comfortable playing. Maybe not necessarily those specific options but so that there is a difference between someone playing AD carry and Tank. As for the communication problem the program could exclude giving the information of who prefers which role(s). So the players of a team would still have to communicate what role they'd like to play. If anything I could see it enhancing team communication by removing the stress of having a team of solo top only players that would bicker throughout the match.

And please keep up the potential problems so I can elaborate on parts of the program that would be key to its success if Riot thinks this would be a good idea.

So keep voting and leaving your thoughts!

PS To any Riot staff reading this please give it some thought
PPS Still love the game and keep up the good work

Shesocold

09-16-2012

I'm gonna keep bumping this idea until a Riot staff tells me to stop.

Noctix

09-16-2012

I've actually thought the same idea before too. You usually end up losing the game before it even starts half the time because people are fighting over roles or someone gets stuck playing their worst roll, and then I've seen so many times the majority of the team turn on that person even though it's obvious they're trying their best.

Houshou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
No, it just requires a different strategy, it may be 'more difficult' because you simply dont know how to adapt to it, but the fact is probably neither does your opponent.

You already have the ability to choose a preferred role, its called team chat "Hi can i play x please?" there's no reason to set up anything in client, it would kill any innovation in the game.
What I find wrong with your logic, is the time countdown.

With that count down going on, its difficult for people to choose a character in chat and build a well respected team. Unless its a bunch of friends on Skype. So the only way for people to figure out a good well-balanced team is if the countdown timer was either increased or gotten rid of altogether.

Selcopa

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshou View Post
What I find wrong with your logic, is the time countdown.

With that count down going on, its difficult for people to choose a character in chat and build a well respected team. Unless its a bunch of friends on Skype. So the only way for people to figure out a good well-balanced team is if the countdown timer was either increased or gotten rid of altogether.
The timer is hardly an issue, it takes roughly 5 minutes to actually get a draft game started with the picks and bans, only on rare occurrence is a time constraint the reason your team isnt able to build a balanced group.

It has to do more with the fact that players are not very adaptive, and so they arent able to give themselves a great chance to win, the more situations that are prepared for, the higher elo they'll go, it doesnt really matter the elo. I'm mid 1800s currently and if I had a more extensive jungle selection and I was stronger at top and mid lane, I would be losing less games when i'm in those roles, and my elo would go up.

It happens to be a more common situation at lower elos, but this is overall one of the easiest things to overcome, increase your skill horizontally(that is get more diverse in your scenarios) and your elo will go up with minimal skill increase.

Shesocold

09-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
The timer is hardly an issue, it takes roughly 5 minutes to actually get a draft game started with the picks and bans, only on rare occurrence is a time constraint the reason your team isnt able to build a balanced group.

It has to do more with the fact that players are not very adaptive, and so they arent able to give themselves a great chance to win, the more situations that are prepared for, the higher elo they'll go, it doesnt really matter the elo. I'm mid 1800s currently and if I had a more extensive jungle selection and I was stronger at top and mid lane, I would be losing less games when i'm in those roles, and my elo would go up.

It happens to be a more common situation at lower elos, but this is overall one of the easiest things to overcome, increase your skill horizontally(that is get more diverse in your scenarios) and your elo will go up with minimal skill increase.
A balanced respectable team is very rare in solo queue at the low elos because it's true that some are not adaptive to different roles and stay in their "happy zone" but some are adaptive to the team's needs and just lack champions such as myself to play a role well against someone who has a wider selection of champions for that role. With this modification it would give players who maybe cannot play a role well because of a lack of champions/runes a way to find a team where they aren't forced into a role they literally have no champions that can play in that role. And like I've said in this post before this could be optional meaning that you wouldn't have to use it. As for becoming more adaptive, a player that truly desired to be able to play more than solo top would play some normals games as an ADC or support or whatever they wanted to learn. While the one's who are "stuck" in their roles and need to learn more roles would never step out of their role to begin with and never grow to begin with. With this new matchmaking modification we would distribute those "one role" players amongst the teams so that we don't have a team where no one will switch from ADC.

I know I probably did a bad job of explaining this, but in simplerer and hopefully clearer terms, If someone wants to learn to adapt in games they will on their own, if domeone will never switch their role they will never try to be flexible to help the team's composition.

12345612 ... 13