Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So.. Just got Jax.. :l How do I Dom with him?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Travistyse

07-02-2012

So.. I've played Poppy, where you hit, run, rinse and repeat twice and that person's dead, and I've played Irelia, and I was kind of hoping Jax would be a mix between the both of them but that doesn't appear to be the case as well as I would have liked to hope.. I'm being killed by people rather easily with Jax.. which is strange seeing as the Jax's I've seen have all been strong 1v1ers..

So how do I do it? :l
My masteries are 9/21/0 (Ap Offensive masteries)
I go Ghost Revive

Boots of Speed+ Pickaxe
Bilgewater Cutlass
Merc Treads (unless they aren't CC/AP heavy)
Hextech Revolver
Guinsoo's Rageblade
Phage
(Maybe a negatron cloak to build into QSS if they have a Rammus or someone particularly annoying who deals both magic damage or taunts me..)
Frozen Mallet
(QSS if need be)
Sheen

:l Where am I going wrong?

Travistyse

07-02-2012

Oh And my engages..

I've been trying to play him as Poppy. Which didn't work. I've tried playing him like Irelia. Didn't work.. :l How exactly do you play a Jax? I thought the general idea is to jump on them, attack, W for the double swing (I'm guilty of hitting W to proc my Leap Strike), E to reduce AoE damage or counter ADs, and then stick to them, Leaping and W..ing as much as you can until they're dead. But how does that work out when there are multiple people focusing you, like on the windmill? I mean, do you just wait for one to get out of position or is there a strategy for it?

Edit: Going on Youtube.. gonna see if I can't figure this out..

Pemmin

07-02-2012

On Dominion Jax is built mostly AD the majority of the time.

It sounds like you are using his abilities correctly, just make sure you wait for your tank to engage since it sounds like you are having problems being focused.

You'll have to tailor your build towards the enemy team. Personally I'll start with a Pro blade, boots and 2 potions. After I'll rush trinity force and get either Merc treads or Tabi.

After trinity I'll scope out the enemy team. If they are stacking armor I'll build last whisper. Otherwise I'll usually buy a defensive item such as Frozen Heart. After that is really just depends.

Summoners spells I run are revive and exhaust.
Masteries 21/9 focusing on the AD abilities.

Travistyse

07-02-2012

Ahh.. That's what I was wondering.. :3 So AD Jax is the way to go then, I'll try that. And it would be nice if someone would be the tank >.< I swear, when I go Rammus I can't tell if we're winning because, hey, it's a ****ing Rammus on Dom , or if it's because there's never a tank on my team unless it's a Rammus -.- I've seen a few stray malphites but... usually both teams are DPS focused with some CC here and there.

Goronok

07-02-2012

Your play sounds about like mine, leap in, wait an auto attack, then w, activate e as appropriate preferably early, spam w, leap strike as appropriate... r if it's available and might be needed, trying to save it for turret diving or team fights.

What I find, though, is that your active defenses are strong but limited to a window of time, so I try to build heavily offense, so that people are dead before my defenses run out. Surely not the only way to do it but... I rune mostly AD/lvl, with AP/lvl blues, 30 offense masteries focusing on physical damage with AP/level masteries thrown in.

I go prospectors blade, boots of speed, Sheen > Zeal > Phage > Trinity, boot upgrade (usually berserkers), Last Whisper, Sanguine Blade, Phantom Dancer.

Sheen then Trinity Force are the most noticeable damage increases.

I start with e, since the defense it offers is the core of your survivability... but increased ranks do little, so after rank 1 it sits there. I take q, as valuable as mobility is to him, especially geared pure offense as killing speed is survival... later ranks are valuable for more mobility and opening burst, but not key. w starts off low damage and long cooldown, but it resets my attack, procs sheen/triforce and the cooldown lowers FAST with ranks, so while it seems unimpressive, I rush it immediately. I take r at 6/11/16... even though I don't have much AP to scale it, the DPS increase is noticeable, and the amount of defense offered by the active increases noticeably as well.

So eqw then r > w > q > e.

My pure-offense outlook is probably extreme, and overkill, but whatever you do, I think the item build and skill progression I offer is solid as hell....

TCWA Tigerbite

07-02-2012

Sheen + 3HP Pots.
Merc Treads
Vampiric Scepter
Trinity
Gunblade
Then whatever you need. If you're not getting destroyed by any one character, keep building offensive items (see it helps your defense as well when you ult)
If you are getting destroyed by someone, well then, build your MR, Armor, or Health.

E > Q > W W W W W W W W W W W.

Lately I've been building Nashor's Tooth (or stinger, i forget which one is the final item) after Gunblade, while using my CDR runes. 40% CD rate, spamming your W almost ever 1.5 seconds. BWAHAHHA. Plus Nashor's Tooth gives you AS so your ulti goes off more and it gives you AP so ur W and R do even more damage. VICTORY IS MINE >=D

Travistyse

07-02-2012

I'll try all of your builds Thank you very much for the help haha, just got Urgot the other day (I'm.. so terrible with him.. it's not even funny), and I was beginning to worry Jax would be the 3rd champ in a row I've gotten that I just.. wouldn't ever use o.O

Trynd 1350
Urgot 3150
Jax 1350

o.O das a lot of what could've been some runes or a kogmaw haha.. So I'm trying my best to make use of them, so they don't feel like complete wastes of IP..

Risemix

07-02-2012

You really want to build brutalizer before Trinity.

Prospector's Blade/Speed Boots/2 pots start
Brutalizer
Trinity Force
Vamp Scepter somewhere in there

Then just counter build, frozen heart is a nice choice. Items you can choose from are ghostblade/QSS/warden's mail/last whisper/executioner's calling.

If you're just stomping and want more damage, you can build basically anything. Gunblade/rageblade/sanguine blade etc.

Warrrrax

07-02-2012

Jax is kind of similar to Poppy, except that he has both high burst AND sustained damage.

He is usually built mostly offensively with mostly AD and a bit of AP as he has very high health per level and his AD/AP translate into armor/MR with his Ult up.

A pure carry build with AD/crit/AS doesn't work well for me as it takes too long to ramp up. A triforce instead of IE allows much faster ramp up and contribution. It also puts most of my gold into AD/AP which my Ult and skill ratios can take advantage of.

Pure AP isn't really all that great on him since he has a bit less AP scaling than previously. AD also has better overall burst and sustain.

I start with Pros Blade, boots, 2 pots.

I rush the TriForce starting with Sheen. It adds up to 100 damage to his burst and will be triggered every few seconds when he is doing sustained damage, thx to his short cooldowns. The AP is also a bit helpful, as is the extra mana early on.

Triforce is just too good to delay or pass up. He can use the majority of the stats which are fairly cost-effective, the slow proc is quite useful, and the damage proc is very well used on him.

I personally get Ionic Boots as the CDR is valuable for Jax.

I can see Brutalizer as its very efficient and the CDR is strong. Armor Pen is alright I guess though he has both dmg types so its not a huge deal.

I typically get a vamp scepter and work on gunblade after the triforce. Either that or get an Aegis for some more well-rounded defenses which also lets me share with allies. This helps ensure that I live long enough to do my heavy damage.

Artanog

07-02-2012

1: Bang your face on the keyboard
2: Jax pentakill