@Riot: The attack speed stat is misleading for new players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noraver

08-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Yeah, that's definitely something we should look at when we do a greater hud / item shop rework down the line.

It's a little tricky because it's hard to calculate some unique effects (like Stark's Aura, for example).
I can imagine.
Keep up the good work Xypherous.

Totally off-topic: Buff my Sejuani to give her a nice place in top lane, would ya?
Perhaps a stacking passive like Gangplank?
That's only one fix, next to a defensive steroid, however.

JJJNigel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2012

i <3 you xypherous

now summoning Brackhar!

yeah, clutter is an issue... i think the "primary" stat should still be the number currently listed, because it's what gives a "real" meaning to the stat (x attacks per second). but unless phantom dancer is changed from giving 55% attack speed to 0.344 attack speed (and all heroes' base numbers made the same), this is the only way to tie your stat and your item bonuses together meaningfully.

also perhaps the hover percentage should actually read 160% instead of 60% (for example). with AD, if you have 100 AD, you know 55 AD will improve your damage by 55% because you compare the numbers 100 and 55. similarly, you should be able to compare 160% and 55% to get a quick idea of how much your damage will improve -- by ~33%, not ~90%. i think maybe i will edit that into the OP.

IS1dcd9a4f2ff9a3

08-02-2012

We could replace ASpd display with something else. AA DPS for example.

JJJNigel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2012

that doesn't resolve the issue, though. the issue is, "by how much will buying this recurve bow improve my dps?" this can only be answered if you have some way of comparing the value listed on the item (40%) with the total attack speed you currently have (e.g. 160%). if your total attack speed is listed as 0.823, there's no relation between that 40% and that 0.823. it makes the 40% figure effectively meaningless, except as in relation to other attack speed items. so you can compare a recurve bow to a dagger and know the recurve bow gives more attack speed, but you don't know how much is the difference, or how it could compare to buying a BF sword. displaying dps instead won't change this, as you'll still have no idea how much dps you'll gain from buying that recurve bow.

PUR3ICE

08-02-2012

Xypherous

Can you change the stats of the boots too?
Specially beginners wonīt realise how much boots (1) changing their movespeed and also how much 2 and 3 speed change their movespeed.
While i donīt know myself how much speed boots of moobility give me, since i canīt find any information and its also gets lowered by the softcap.(maybee thats why)

StalkinU2

08-02-2012

Theres one point you make which should be removed, a 34% increase in attack speed is not an increase in actual damage. Reading this post almost makes me believe aspd will actually increase my damage per hit.

So, how much does the Phantom Dancer actually give me? It's 0.625 + 0.175 + 0.200 + (0.625 * 55%) = 1.344, or a 34.4% increase in damage.

This is totally wrong, AD increases damage.
ASPD grants more hits per second, you talk about making things less confusing....
Then why put it down like this?

Delicious Donut

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalkinU2 View Post
Theres one point you make which should be removed, a 34% increase in attack speed is not an increase in actual damage. Reading this post almost makes me believe aspd will actually increase my damage per hit.

So, how much does the Phantom Dancer actually give me? It's 0.625 + 0.175 + 0.200 + (0.625 * 55%) = 1.344, or a 34.4% increase in damage.

This is totally wrong, AD increases damage.
ASPD grants more hits per second, you talk about making things less confusing....
Then why put it down like this?
34% increase in DPS.
BTW I fully support this change.

ZerglingOne

08-02-2012

Why not just add an average raw pre-armor physical DPS stat (fairly easy to calculate) and then like in D3 and many many other games, show how an item will affect this stat when purchased. Basically call the stat "Auto-attack DPS"

JJJNigel

08-02-2012

well, you could, yes... but dps is not really that important per se in this game. earlier on, the importance of kiting and landing individual hits is greater. later on, capitalizing on crits and, again, kiting, make it sort of meaningless.

Mosqiil

08-02-2012

AS IDENTIFICATION SUCKS AND ALWAYS HAS.

I fully support a rework in the UI for AS.